Power Supply FOr IC-718?

Status
Not open for further replies.

cpuerror

Hello everyone. I am going to buy a IC718 transceiver (http://www.icomamerica.com/en/products/amateur/hf/718/specifications.aspx). I have an existing 12 volt power supply that puts out about 20 amps, I'm wondering if anyone knows whether this will work or whether I really need a 13.8V power supply? The specs say it will operate down to 11.73 volts, although I'm not sure how great of impact that will have on TX performance... Anyways have any experience with this rig??

Grog

Completely Banned for the Greater Good
Banned
Are you sure the power supply is putting out exactly 12 volts? What kind of power supply is it?

As for the icom, it might drop a little power, but if it does it would probably not be noticeable to anyone else. You can always try it and see before you have to buy another PS.

cpuerror

Hello Grog. Its a computer power supply. I enable the power on pin to switch it on, then load down the 5v rail to stabilize it. I've measured about 11.93 coming out of it and have used it to power up less powerful radios before. So thats why I want to give it a try, if it doesnt work then I might get a Pyramid PS.

Grog

Banned
I use one of these http://radiodan.com/misc/samlex1223.htm to power my Yaesu FT-847. I am very pleased with it, it does not cause me any noise issues.

I've never heard of that dealer, but I would recommend this power supply 110%

I have a Pyramid, but it was a 30amp (with meters) that I got for $40. If I had to pay full price, I would go with the samlex for many reasons. In fact, I will likely get one before summer is over anyway, just for the portability factor.

Grog

Banned
Hello Grog. Its a computer power supply. I enable the power on pin to switch it on, then load down the 5v rail to stabilize it. I've measured about 11.93 coming out of it and have used it to power up less powerful radios before. So thats why I want to give it a try, if it doesnt work then I might get a Pyramid PS.

I'm not going to pretend to be smart enough to say if there are any issues with using a computer power supply with a 100w HF radio, but I bet there are people who have done it. I would likely go with a PS designed for radios, with the samlex being the top choice, even over astron.

cpuerror

I'm not going to pretend to be smart enough to say if there are any issues with using a computer power supply with a 100w HF radio, but I bet there are people who have done it. I would likely go with a PS designed for radios, with the samlex being the top choice, even over astron.

Thats probably going to be what I end up doing anyways. For the time being though, as far as monitoring and QRP goes I am going to try it anyways. I have it powering my 2m rig just fine although with the lower voltage I can't get full power out of it.

Bill_White

Based on the reviews on eHam.net:
http://www.eham.net/reviews/detail/432?ehamsid=88e04a04392c76b23166263a3e2547b3
I would stay away from the Samlex power supply.
Note how a “helpful RFI reduction mod” is in the product description…
NOT a good sign.

I use the Astron RS-35M. It is big, heavy (~30 pounds), and built like a tank for a lifetime of noise free service.
Review of the RS-35A which is the same PS as the 35M, without meters:
http://www.eham.net/reviews/detail/3018?ehamsid=91bef51d79369d1b87ef143046da8464

Grog

Banned

cpuerror

Last edited:

Grog

Banned
Icom has a special where they include the PS125 switching power supply with the 746pro, don't think they would give a power supply that would cause issues on HF. But, if you never want to carry it around, a brick non-switcher could take away any doubt.

Had a guy on hamsexy have issues with that brand, I would avoid.

Not found

Hmmmmmmmmm, would not really trust anything like that from MFJ either.

cpuerror

Grog, I fixed the link. I know MFJ stuff is a little questionable, i've seen that tour video of their factory and its a little disconcerting watching barefoot workers on plywood benches working on ESD sensitive equipment. Maybe that SEC unit is the way to go.

Status
Not open for further replies.