Power Supply for Old Scanner

Status
Not open for further replies.
I don't know if this is in the correct area, so please feel free to move it if it's not.

I just picked up an Electra Bearcat III from a local thrift store for $3. It appears to be in excellent condition inside and out. It did not come with a power cord and I'm curious as to what type I need. It looks like it would be some type of 4 pin power supply. Thanks for any help. I will post a pic if needed.

scansalot52

A link for a premade 12v:
http://www.scannerworld.com/content/product/model/MA3
You could get two of these, tear one apart and use the plug and extension cord to make an AC one.

Here is how to make one if you can't find the exact plug or on the cheap:
1. Get a package of these:
Female Crimp-On Quick-Disconnects (10-Pack) - RadioShack.com
For AC
2. Take a household 110v extension cord, cut off the female end
3. Attach one spade to each of the extension cord wires, use whichever size fits the male spade on the radio.
4. Open the scanner, there will be a wire from each one of the 4 lugs. Two of these run to the transformer.
5. Attach one side of the extension cord to each of the 2 lugs which lead to the transformer. Order does not matter.

For DC
2. One lug inside the radio goes to ground
3. One lug inside bypasses the transformer and is your hot or + 12v
4. Use a fuse holder with 3a fuse to the + side attach with one of the female spades
5 Attach a ground wire from the ground side with a female spade.

I never owned a BC3 but I made a few of these back in the day. Anyone is encouraged to correct this if needed. I can't think of the name of the female connector that was used. This is as I recall, User is cautioned to seek professional help identifying or making any connections if unsure as to procedure or correctness of information given.

Last edited:
Thanks, I appreciate it. I think I'll just get that cigarette lighter cord, my power supply has a DC port on it. Hopefully this scanner will work for me.

Btw, does anyone know where I can find crystals for SPECIFIC frequencies? Alot of places on ebay sell crystals, but most of them will not sell/look for specific frequencies. Also, what kind of crystals will I need for this? Thanks in advance.

Last edited:

sjlamb

Thanks, I appreciate it. I think I'll just get that cigarette lighter cord, my power supply has a DC port on it. Hopefully this scanner will work for me.

Btw, does anyone know where I can find crystals for SPECIFIC frequencies? Alot of places on ebay sell crystals, but most of them will not sell/look for specific frequencies. Also, what kind of crystals will I need for this? Thanks in advance.

Check here: Scanner Crystals | Bearcat Regency Police Fire EMS Radio Scanner Crystal

Status
Not open for further replies.