Power Supply Reviews

Status
Not open for further replies.

N5JMC

Tait Power Supply??

Has anyone ever had a tait TMAA13-22 power supply or any other tait power supply? I have the opportunity to buy one and curious how they are. I've had an Astron RS-35M before and loved it. Looking for input on the tait power supplies

N5JMC

I need to purchase a power supply ASAP. Would prefer to stay around $150. Anyone have recommendations? What's the best I can get for around that price or lower?

Will be using a mobile with max 70 watts.

AK9R

Lead Wiki Manager and almost an Awesome Moderator
Super Moderator
A mobile radio transmitting at 70 watts will draw approximately 15 amps. You need a power supply that is capable of delivering at least that much current continuously unless you keep your transmissions very, very short.

If I were you, I'd look for an Astron RS-20A or RS-35A (or the "M" variants which have Volts and Amps meters) or an Astron SS-25 or SS-30 (or the "M" variants). Astron's RS series are linear power supplies which mean they have big, heavy transformers, but they are very reliable. The SS series are switching power supplies which means they are lighter and smaller, but they are often more expensive than the linear power supplies. You may get advice to stay away from switching power supplies due to the RF they create, but the Astron power supplies are designed for communications service and, in my experience, they are very quiet.

Astron has been in this business for a long time and, to the best of my knowledge, Astron power supplies are made in the U.S.

I have both an RS-35M and an SS-25 that have never missed a beat.

Last edited:

KB0VWG

I have 3 pyramid power supply for the last 10 years with no issue and one astron for 8 years and no issue.
kb0vwg

AK9R

Lead Wiki Manager and almost an Awesome Moderator
Super Moderator
If I'm reading the spec sheet correctly, that one's rated for 23 amps continuous. I know nothing about Tait power supplies, but I know the Tait brand from the land mobile radio market.

prcguy

I would recommend an Astron SS30M. It will power any 100W class radio with power to spare, has volt and amp meters and currently runs about $149 shipped to your door. Astron also has the very best service after the warranty is up, no other company even comes close.
prcguy

SteveSimpkin

Premium Subscriber
At work we purchased a Tait 13.8V, 22A switching power supply to go with a Tait TM9400 series P25 mobile radio. It seems to be a well made, no frills switcher and has been reliable over the last year or so. I believe it is a TMAA13-22 but I will double check to be sure.

N5JMC

If you don't mind checking and letting me know that will be great SteveSimpkin!

I was looking at maybe buying a MFJ-4230MV as i'm borrowing one till I get mine in and it's small and light which I like, or the Jetstream JTPS31MB which is the exact same as the MFJ I listed. I even ready that the MFJ is maid by Jetstream which is why it looks the same. Links are below. But the tait that I was shown is small and light. Just don't know about the quality which is why I posted here about it. Can't seem to find much online but specs.

MFJ-4230MV
https://www.gigaparts.com/mfj-4230mv.html

Jetstream JTPS31MB
https://www.gigaparts.com/jetstream-jtps31mb.html

N5JMC

I want to buy astron, but I remember how big and heavy it was. I'm borrowing a MFJ-4230MV which is small and light, no bigger than the mobile radio and it's doing the job. I may buy that or the Jetstream JTPS31MB as it's the same. I read that the MFJ is maid by Jetstream which makes it good. Any opinions on those? They are $89.99. I also have the option of buying a Tait TMAA13-22 from a local shop here but not sure how good they are. I posted a thread here asking but not many replies. The guy that is selling it says they are really great and it's what he uses when needed. He does the installation of radios for the police and fire around here as well as other companies and utilities. So I'm not sure between the tait or mfj or jetstream. The tait doesnt have meters but guess that isn't a deal breaker.

prcguy

The Astron SS series are very lightweight switching supplies, not like the original Astron "tanks" like the RS-20 and RS-35. I have an SS-18, which is about the same as a small Yaesu FT-857 mobile radio and its my favorite travel power supply. Its only rated at 18A but I've pulled well in excess of 20A from it for long periods of time with no problems. And if I break it Astron will fix it so cheap that it doesn't really matter.

An Astron SS-25 is rated at 20A continuous and 25A intermittent and might be a good choice for you. I originally recommended the SS-30M because it will handle more radios in the future, has full metering and is within your budget.
prcguy

I want to buy astron, but I remember how big and heavy it was. I'm borrowing a MFJ-4230MV which is small and light, no bigger than the mobile radio and it's doing the job. I may buy that or the Jetstream JTPS31MB as it's the same. I read that the MFJ is maid by Jetstream which makes it good. Any opinions on those? They are $89.99. I also have the option of buying a Tait TMAA13-22 from a local shop here but not sure how good they are. I posted a thread here asking but not many replies. The guy that is selling it says they are really great and it's what he uses when needed. He does the installation of radios for the police and fire around here as well as other companies and utilities. So I'm not sure between the tait or mfj or jetstream. The tait doesnt have meters but guess that isn't a deal breaker.

N9IIT

I just bought an RS-20M used from R&L Electronics to power my Icom IC2720. It weighs more than a cinder block but Bob W9BU is right - the DC out of an Astron linear is nice and clean - switching not so much.

The problem of course is if you buy a power supply you'll pay about half that much again in shipping a linear power supply.

N4KVE

I want to buy astron, but I remember how big and heavy it was. I'm borrowing a MFJ-4230MV which is small and light, no bigger than the mobile radio and it's doing the job. I may buy that or the Jetstream JTPS31MB as it's the same. I read that the MFJ is maid by Jetstream which makes it good. Any opinions on those? They are $89.99.
I have been using one of the MFJ branded ones for 3 years now, for my various Motorola VHF/UHF radios. I never need more than 15 amps, so I have never used it for HF. These supplies are made by a company called Nissei Electric, & sold under the MFJ, Jetstream, & QJE names. Mine has always been perfect, & I have been very pleased. I also have a couple of Astron SS-30's, & they work well too. The fan does not make noise on the MFJ, & it runs slowly all the time. The Astron fan can get noisy, but there's a well documented easy 100 ohm resistor fix to slow the fan so it's not noisy. But I would always run a HF radio from a heavy transformer type power supply, & they do not affect HF radios like a switcher can. But the switchers cause no interference on VHF/UHF radios.
https://www.amazon.com/Nissei-1230M-Switching-Power-Supply/dp/B01ASVFTEC

Last edited:

N4KVE

The Tait sure looks like my Samlex SEC1223. Many radio companies will buy an existing power supply, & rebadge it vs design, & make their own. Good supply. Betweem the MFJ, & Samlex, they are both good. But I prefer the way the wires to the radio attach to the back of the MFJ, vs the Samlex.

Status
Not open for further replies.