• To anyone looking to acquire commercial radio programming software:

Please do not make requests for copies of radio programming software which is sold (or was sold) by the manufacturer for any monetary value. All requests will be deleted and a forum infraction issued. Making a request such as this is attempting to engage in software piracy and this forum cannot be involved or associated with this activity. The same goes for any private transaction via Private Message. Even if you attempt to engage in this activity in PM's we will still enforce the forum rules. Your PM's are not private and the administration has the right to read them if there's a hint to criminal activity.

If you are having trouble legally obtaining software please state so. We do not want any hurt feelings when your vague post is mistaken for a free request. It is YOUR responsibility to properly word your request.

To obtain Motorola software see the Sticky in the Motorola forum.

The various other vendors often permit their dealers to sell the software online (i.e., Kenwood). Please use Google or some other search engine to find a dealer that sells the software. Typically each series or individual radio requires its own software package. Often the Kenwood software is less than $100 so don't be a cheapskate; just purchase it.

For M/A Com/Harris/GE, etc: there are two software packages that program all current and past radios. One package is for conventional programming and the other for trunked programming. The trunked package is in upwards of $2,500. The conventional package is more reasonable though is still several hundred dollars. The benefit is you do not need multiple versions for each radio (unlike Motorola).

This is a large and very visible forum. We cannot jeopardize the ability to provide the RadioReference services by allowing this activity to occur. Please respect this.

Power Supply Thoughts

Status
Not open for further replies.

Harlock

Hello All...

I recently purchased a 20 Amp Pyramid power supply for my Yaesu FTM-3100r, and though it works, I have some grimaces with it. First off, it's very loud; the fan is super loud and on all the time. This is my biggest complaint about the unit. Secondly, it's not 20 Amp constant, but seems to do well with the 65w TX of my rig, where the amp draw only shows ~12 Amp when broadcasting at 65w.

I'm going to be getting a Yaesu 857d soon, and will need to get a beefier power supply for the radio, and want to hear what you guys think as far as make/model. I've looked at the MFJ 30w, but feel skeptical about something that small capable of 30w, but I really don't know. Any insight would be appreciated.

Thanks!

prcguy

My first recommendation is the Astron SS (switching) series like the SS-25 or SS-30. They have no detectable RF noise, they work well beyond their specs and have the best factory support of any power supply company anywhere. You can get them with or without meters.

I buy them cheap used on Ebay and at ham swap meets and I have several that have been running 20yrs or more 24/7 with no hint of problems. I've blown up some of their older RS linear series (my fault) and the factory repaired and rebuilt them to current specs for a flat fee of $20.
prcguy

Hello All...

I recently purchased a 20 Amp Pyramid power supply for my Yaesu FTM-3100r, and though it works, I have some grimaces with it. First off, it's very loud; the fan is super loud and on all the time. This is my biggest complaint about the unit. Secondly, it's not 20 Amp constant, but seems to do well with the 65w TX of my rig, where the amp draw only shows ~12 Amp when broadcasting at 65w.

I'm going to be getting a Yaesu 857d soon, and will need to get a beefier power supply for the radio, and want to hear what you guys think as far as make/model. I've looked at the MFJ 30w, but feel skeptical about something that small capable of 30w, but I really don't know. Any insight would be appreciated.

Thanks!

lmrtek

I've had a 54 amp pyramid supply in the past and it was nothing but trouble

I moved up to a astron rs-35a and had great service life

samlex, mfj, etc all make decent switching supplies

just be sure to buy one that has adequate current to meet the maximum
draw of your radio

mrweather

My first supply was a Pyramid and I agree with noisy fan issue. Fortunately it died a horrible death from a lightning strike.

I've been using an Alinco DM-330MV for over ten years without a hiccup.

The Astron linear supplies are basically bulletproof but have some heft to them.

N4KVE

Pyramid supplies are the worst, & I'm told that schematics for them are unobtanium. Can't go wrong with Astron, Samlex, or Dura Comm.

zrock

Just out of curiosity why not run a server power supply like the rc guys do? It's clean power and can be found for $20 or so on ebay.

Sent from my SM-G903W using Tapatalk

Status
Not open for further replies.