Power Supply to run the shack

Status
Not open for further replies.

ausscan

Premium Subscriber
This is something that has been bugging me for quite a while now

Currently, I have 3 mobile/base scanners in the shack and they all run off their own power supply, be it a plug pack or mains. I have a BCD996XT, UBC760XLT and a PRO2006.

I have a couple of different plug packs, as well as a 20a switch mode power supply in my possesion and am thinking of having them all run off the same 12v supply. Along the way i have also purchased on of these, meant for security cameras:
productLarge_15859.jpg

The plug pack I use for the BCD996XT I think will be sufficient to run them all, it is a 12v 1.5a Switch Mode Power supply.

What are your thoughts on this? How would you go about achieving this result?

Thanks in advance
Tim

N1SQB

Premium Subscriber
Tim
I run 6 scanners, an Icom IC-7000 transceiver, and 3 motorola mobile radios all of the same power supply.
How you might ask? Well, here is how I did it and its only a suggestion.

Power supply:

Dont get just enough power to get you by! Plan ahead. Use a power supply that will leave you room for expansion in the future. I have been using this one http://www.alinco.com/Products/DM-330MV/dm-330mv.gif for years running the afore mentioned radios.

Power Distribution:

I run all my gear through a Rigrunner power distribution center.
West Mountain Radio RIGrunner DC Outlet Panels RR/4012/C - Free Shipping on Orders Over $99 at DX Engineering
These things are so awesome it's not even funny. Each jack has it's own fuse.
This avoids having to plug each radio separately to an AC outlet, which sounds like what you want to do.
Just wire up the right connector for each radio and you are in business. They do make smaller ones with less jacks, but again, I got this one to plan ahead leaving room for future equipment! Theres ALWAYS going to be more equipment! LOL...

This is how I've been running my gear for years now. No isues, no failures, nothing! Most of the time I forget it's back there. Even the power supply is silent.

Now this is just an example of how I did it. You may find some of this works for your particular needs and / or voltages, maybe this wont help you at all, but I wanted to give you an idea of how it can be done.

Good Luck!

Manny

Last edited:

SCPD

QRT
Same here. Several radios off of one master 12vdc power supply. I find the 12vdc from the external power supply is so much cleaner then the individual wall warts or internal power supplies of each radio so nice clean voltage and no hum in the audio. The only downside is that if the power supply fails, all the radios that were on it will obviously go down so have a spare one in case that happens. Just like the above poster, going great for years with no issues and I run everything 24/7.

Status
Not open for further replies.