power to a pre amp

Status
Not open for further replies.

burts

Hi
i am going to try my hand at satellite's in the L band i think this includes 1.691 the geo weather i have done the noaa 137.!!!!!mhz and i was very pleased with the results .
my question is i get a dish and make the helix and run coax to scanner aor 8200 but i think i will need a pre amp ,now using a scanner there will be no power to the pre amp and i dont want power feed in to my scanner ,i think there is a power blocker or something to stop the power ?.but how do i power the pre amp ??????????

thanks from burt

also maplin do 2 pre amps are they any good

zz0468

QRT
Banned
What you're looking for is a device called a bias tee. Mini-Circuits sells some pretty good ones that are affordable. But if spending $120 for a pair of bias tees is not your idea of affordable, consider just running a separate pair of wires for power and return.

burts

pre amp power

thanks but how do i connect these two wires to the amp as there are no terminals for power wires ,do i just connect a short piece of coax and power that and then use a tee and power blocker to stop the power popping my scanner ??

thanks from burt

prcguy

A Bias Tee will send voltage out one connector and DC block the other path. You obviously connect the DC blocked path to the scanner.
Have you considered buying a few cheap TV antenna preamps that come with a bias Tee and throw away the amps to use the bias tee?
prcguy

Status
Not open for further replies.