• To anyone looking to acquire commercial radio programming software:

Please do not make requests for copies of radio programming software which is sold (or was sold) by the manufacturer for any monetary value. All requests will be deleted and a forum infraction issued. Making a request such as this is attempting to engage in software piracy and this forum cannot be involved or associated with this activity. The same goes for any private transaction via Private Message. Even if you attempt to engage in this activity in PM's we will still enforce the forum rules. Your PM's are not private and the administration has the right to read them if there's a hint to criminal activity.

If you are having trouble legally obtaining software please state so. We do not want any hurt feelings when your vague post is mistaken for a free request. It is YOUR responsibility to properly word your request.

To obtain Motorola software see the Sticky in the Motorola forum.

The various other vendors often permit their dealers to sell the software online (i.e., Kenwood). Please use Google or some other search engine to find a dealer that sells the software. Typically each series or individual radio requires its own software package. Often the Kenwood software is less than $100 so don't be a cheapskate; just purchase it.

For M/A Com/Harris/GE, etc: there are two software packages that program all current and past radios. One package is for conventional programming and the other for trunked programming. The trunked package is in upwards of $2,500. The conventional package is more reasonable though is still several hundred dollars. The benefit is you do not need multiple versions for each radio (unlike Motorola).

This is a large and very visible forum. We cannot jeopardize the ability to provide the RadioReference services by allowing this activity to occur. Please respect this.

Power tweaks for a TRC-453 ?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Unit243

I looked on cb tricks and this is what I found.

VR 10 is AM power
VR 6 is ALC
VR 5 is AM Modulation
VR 7 is RF Power meter
VR 1 is S-meter adjust

TX coils- L34, L35, L36 and L26

RX coils- L3 - L8, L10 and L11

I havent had it open but I guess I just turn them up , which way with the front of the radio facing you , clock wise or counter clockwise

Dawn

Best to leave them alone. If you looked at the alignment procedure while there, it uses extensive use of a spectrum analyzer in the transmit adjustment probably for good reason. You can simplify and broadband designs by placing the burden on the service requirements. You might be able to crank up some power, but with a watt meter, you have no idea how much of it is on carrier without seeing it. Meter shows more power, but where? Harmonics and spurs that appear on other services that will bring the DOC to your door? I wouldn't expect your local CB repair guy to have the equipment needed or know how to use it from what I've seen on the net or on videos. It's just the meter output and mod swing that counts. Leave well enough alone.

Dawn

If you did manage to squeeze a bit more out of these units, it would be at most a watt or two. You'd have to double the power (3db) to even notice barely 1 s unit if properly calibrated on the other side. Chances are the modulator wouln't be able to fully modulate the carrier if it were more then that anyways. If you want more power get a linear. Most CB linears have no filtering to speak of and class C biased. Put crap in and you get a hell of lot more crap out, especially if overdriven. Best to drive it clean at spec output and put a good band pass or high cut filter after the amp. This radio has a limiter built in, cranking up the mod is useless and only induces compression with a power mic and flat topping the audio. Disabling the limiter may give you results on a mod meter you pay some idiot to mod, but the audio is going to be horrible. You also can bet you pa or modulation IC or transistor pair are going to fail driven to their limits in short order. This isn't a recent radio. Many CB chips and transistors are unavailable now with some subsititutions possible for the transmitter, but little for the modulator unless you buy a junker for parts. Assuming somebody really knows what they're doing and has the equipment to repair it, the price tag will match. A bench hour will probably be what you paid for the radio without parts with competent component level repair.

Unit243

Investing in a good antenna would be the best advice , I've never ran any power other than what the radio and antenna put out with a properly set up base station.

Status
Not open for further replies.