Powered amplifier from video setup

Status
Not open for further replies.

jackj

I couldn't find much in the way of info on this amp after a quick search. What I did find would seem to indicate that this is maybe intended for cable TV application, not over the air. The frequency span would be good for a scanner but the noise figure of less than 3 dB doesn't really mean anything (3 dB less than what). I would stay away from it and look for a mast-mount TV pre-amp that would give you somewhere around 10 to 15 dB of gain.

N

N_Jay

I couldn't find much in the way of info on this amp after a quick search. What I did find would seem to indicate that this is maybe intended for cable TV application, not over the air. The frequency span would be good for a scanner but the noise figure of less than 3 dB doesn't really mean anything (3 dB less than what). I would stay away from it and look for a mast-mount TV pre-amp that would give you somewhere around 10 to 15 dB of gain.

Noise figure is expressed in dB. Less than 3 dB is not bad but not great for a preamp.

If you have more then 3 dB of line loss it might help with strong signals.
If you have less than 3 dB of line loss it will probably hurt.

bep

Premium Subscriber
Well I finally got time, and remembered, to try the amplifier.
On my 800 trunked channels the BCT-15 showed 1 possibly 2 bars. Now 3 and 4 bars and clearer audio
High band freqs. that contained a lot of static now 95% clear.

Happy guy here

Status
Not open for further replies.