POWEREX AA Rechargeable Batteries.

Status
Not open for further replies.

se

Hello All.

Does anyone in this forum know if and where I can buy MaHa Powerex AA rechargeable batteries? They were recommended to me by Durham Radio Sales and Service to use in my HomePatrol HP-1. And will I still be able to use the supplied charger that came with my HP-1 with that brand of batteries?

Thanks Sheldon.

davidmc36

Premium Subscriber

Forts

Mentor
Database Admin
I've had good luck with my Powerx AA's so far. They only get charged in my Maha charger and seem to be holding up quite well (had them about a year now).

VE3JSO

Ii also recommend energizer rechargeable aa with energizer charger I had them for a year with my pro106 and still going strong with me charging them every other day

derevs

Why not order them from Durham Radio. I have ordered a few things before 1:00pm and had them delivered the next day. Excellent service.

gmclam

Premium Subscriber
PowerEx AA NiMH batteries

I bought a PowerEx charger a few years ago. Up until then I was charging batteries in my scanners. I had several sets of batteries, each a different set of the most popular brands. None of my batteries would charge in the PowerEx charger. I wrote PowerEx and they blamed the batteries.

To make a long story short, they sent me some replacement batteries, 7 sets of PowerEX 2700s. Yeah they charged, at least for a few cycles. After a year I was down to only 2 sets of the PowerEx that would charge. Now they are all trash.

During the time that the PowerExs started to fail I bought some Sanyo Eneloops. I bought 2 sets of the 2000mAh NiMH and I am still using them nearly 3 years later. I also bought a set of the new Sanyo 2700 batteries last year and haven't even needed to charge them yet.

I bought my original set of Sanyos at Costco, and the latest set from Amazon. I highly recommend the Sanyos over the PowerEx. And for general use like in scanners, I'd expect the lower capacity to last for more years.

VA3QRM

battery charging

Sheldon..would suggest charging out of the unit. Heat is better there than in your radio. Had a problem with a cooked resistor in the charging system of my old 396 that required repair. Good success with energizers.

Last edited:

gewecke

Completely Banned for the Greater Good
Banned
I'm pissed! Walmarts site doesn't even list powerex batteries at all, just rayovac and energizers! ARRRRRGGH!!! :mad:
Back to the drawing board I guess.

n9zas

EJB

20 + year membership
Premium Subscriber
Hello All.

Does anyone in this forum know if and where I can buy MaHa Powerex AA rechargeable batteries? They were recommended to me by Durham Radio Sales and Service to use in my HomePatrol HP-1. And will I still be able to use the supplied charger that came with my HP-1 with that brand of batteries?

Thanks Sheldon.

Sheldon, the batteries than came with your HP are generally crappy. If they still work or you get a good charger that can repair damaged batteries you can still use them but a lot of people are very passionate about the batteries they mentioned here and for good reason. :)

davidmc36

Premium Subscriber
Suprisingly enough these panasonic batteries are quite good. I got four of them with the BQ-390 charger and keep them in my RC car radio. Sitting on the shelf for 4 months or more and they still show better than 75% voltage,and they are about three years old and have not been treated the best, only one out of ten charges in the Maha charger. I usually only have to charge them once during the winter off months. They were recommended by the guy at Future Shop as having good shelf life and it has proved to be true.

Ensnared

Premium Subscriber
Shelf Life Matters

PaulsFinest.com - Maha PowerEX Batteries Chargers and German and Japanese Kitchen Knives

eBay: imedion

I would recommend the Imedion over the Powerex. Powerex type went for crap (capacity down to 20% and die on the shelf within a day) on me within about 20 charges. Still have Imedion 4 years later with so many charges on them I lost count long ago. Six of them get charged-used-recharged nearly every day for my 396XT and many of the charges are with 30 min charger that I keep at work.

I believe I owned a set of these & quickly got rid of them. They would not hold a charge for very long as opposed to Sanyo Eneloops. These are batteries that hold a charge for many months.

Amazon.com: eneloops

Status
Not open for further replies.