BCD436HP/BCD536HP: Powering 436HP via USB cable

Status
Not open for further replies.

NWI_Scanner_Guy

SCANNING THE AIRWAVES SINCE 1987
Tried searching for this topic, but results came back negative. Apologies if it has already been discussed.

When powering the 436 via a USB cable hooked to a computer, will there be any kind of indicator on the screen that it's being powered by something other than the batteries?

Thanks.

:)

AZScanner

Somewhere in this room. Right now, you're very col
Tried searching for this topic, but results came back negative. Apologies if it has already been discussed.

When powering the 436 via a USB cable hooked to a computer, will there be any kind of indicator on the screen that it's being powered by something other than the batteries?

Thanks.

No, the only indicator you'll get is when you plug in the cable - the scanner asks you if you want the PC to treat the scanner as a serial device or a thumb drive. After that, there's no indication on the scanner that it's running from USB power.

-AZ

NWI_Scanner_Guy

SCANNING THE AIRWAVES SINCE 1987
No, the only indicator you'll get is when you plug in the cable - the scanner asks you if you want the PC to treat the scanner as a serial device or a thumb drive. After that, there's no indication on the scanner that it's running from USB power.

-AZ

Shame. It needs some kind of indicator like the PSR-800 has.

Oh well, I'm sure Uniden has their reasons for not doing so. Doesn't diminish the functionality of the radio, just something I think it's missing.

Thanks for the information AZ, I appreciate it.

hiegtx

Mentor
Premium Subscriber
Can any mini UBS cable be safely used with the 436hp or do you need to use the one that came with the scanner.
Unlike the ones for the older DMA scanners (396XT/996XT, & earlier), it's not a "Uniden specific" USB cable. Any standard USB cable with the correct ends will work, though I prefer one with the ferrite core to reduce interference. A number of them on Amazon & Monoprice.

MisterPixel

Thanks. I had just purchased two cables on Amazon. I was just a little concerned that it might void the warranty since Uniden sells them online for close to $30.

kd7eir

If the BCD436HP is plugged into a USB port AND POWERED ON the batteries are disconnected. The only time that the batteries are in circuit when connected to USB is when the scanner is powered off and you have chosen to charge them.

I think this is why there is no indicator - if the scanner is on and plugged into USB it MUST BE powered by USB.

JamesO

This small issue gets missed or misunderstood quite often.

If the BCD436HP is plugged into a USB port AND POWERED ON the batteries are disconnected. The only time that the batteries are in circuit when connected to USB is when the scanner is powered off and you have chosen to charge them.

I think this is why there is no indicator - if the scanner is on and plugged into USB it MUST BE powered by USB.

Suggest purchasing a decent battery charger like the Maha with the analyze and test features.

After having my Maha for a while it is amazing how some of the batteries you paid good/extra money for are crap and how you have to condition the batteries often. This also allows you to have fresh batteries ready to go. I also bought some of these battery cased to keep track of charged batteries as well - Amazon.com: (6 Pack) AA / AAA Bright Orange 4 Cell Battery Case with Charge Reminder Markings: Electronics

You can position the batteries in the case with the positive terminal in a specific position to remind you if the batteries are charged or need charging. Nice addition feature to use.

JamesO

I've never seen the ones with the charge markings - those are nice.

Yes, I like these cases, they can hold either AAA or AA batteries, but not both at the same time. The charge markings took a few moments to sink in, but once you think about it they are very helpful.

If you are really organized and have a lot of batteries you can put a scrap of paper inside with the date the batteries were charged.

If are a really organized you mark each battery and log charge percentages and over performance as they are used.

Heidi750

Premium Subscriber
12 Volt Power Cable???

I noticed when I unpacked my BCD436HP I did not find an in car charging cable.
So does that mean I have to have a pocket full of charged batteries for a long road trip or is there some other way to keep the scanner working for the whole trip?

JamesO

I noticed when I unpacked my BCD436HP I did not find an in car charging cable.
So does that mean I have to have a pocket full of charged batteries for a long road trip or is there some other way to keep the scanner working for the whole trip?

You can power the scanner via the USB cable, however, it will not charge the batteries unless the scanner is powered off.

You will need a cigarette lighter to USB adapter or if the car has a USB port built in, it should power the scanner.

Just be careful to get a quality cigarette lighter to UBS adapter as some of the cheap ones are not Voltage or current regulated. Some automotive phone chargers also have a USB port built into the plug.

Status
Not open for further replies.