powering a icom 2200h with a jetstream JTMINI15

Status
Not open for further replies.

mparker

the jetstream is a 12amp (15amp surge) and the radio is 15amp @65w

assuming that i am not operating on 65w all the time, would this be a safe combo? or should i step up to a 25w power supply (JTPS28) to error on the side of reliability?

AK9R

Lead Wiki Manager and almost an Awesome Moderator
Super Moderator
As long as you don't use the high power setting on your radio, you should be OK with the smaller power supply. However, since the surge rating on the power supply is the same as the high power current draw of the radio, you may be able to transmit on high power for short periods of time. Does the Jetstream documentation explain what they mean by the surge rating?

Hopefully, that power supply is protected against overload. If you ever mistakenly transmit on high power with the smaller power supply, you may blow a fuse or trip a circuit breaker in the power supply. The worst case situation would be if the power supply tries to deliver more current than it was designed for and goes out of regulation or damages an internal component. When you overload a power supply, it might deliver less voltage than your radio needs. This could cause your radio to act strangely while transmitting.

If you can afford it, I'd go with the larger power supply now. If you ever want to use the radio at high power, you'll need the larger power supply. You might be able to sell the smaller power supply later to help fund the larger power supply, but you won't get what you paid for it.

Last edited:

N8IAA

the jetstream is a 12amp (15amp surge) and the radio is 15amp @65w

assuming that i am not operating on 65w all the time, would this be a safe combo? or should i step up to a 25w power supply (JTPS28) to error on the side of reliability?

The rule of thumb, really old saying:), is buy the power supply with a higher amp rating (25amps). That way you don't run the risk of frying the radio, or the power supply. That way, if you want to do simplex at 65w, the radio and power supply will be very happy:))
Larry

K

kb0nly

Might as well buy the bigger supply... Otherwise a matter of months from now you will be wanting to power something else and realize you need a bigger power supply again. Buy as much power supply as you can afford.

I have a Iota 55 amp continuous duty power supply running the shack here, it's been plugged in and on for nearly 5 years of continuous operation now.

Status
Not open for further replies.