• To anyone looking to acquire commercial radio programming software:

Please do not make requests for copies of radio programming software which is sold (or was sold) by the manufacturer for any monetary value. All requests will be deleted and a forum infraction issued. Making a request such as this is attempting to engage in software piracy and this forum cannot be involved or associated with this activity. The same goes for any private transaction via Private Message. Even if you attempt to engage in this activity in PM's we will still enforce the forum rules. Your PM's are not private and the administration has the right to read them if there's a hint to criminal activity.

If you are having trouble legally obtaining software please state so. We do not want any hurt feelings when your vague post is mistaken for a free request. It is YOUR responsibility to properly word your request.

To obtain Motorola software see the Sticky in the Motorola forum.

The various other vendors often permit their dealers to sell the software online (i.e., Kenwood). Please use Google or some other search engine to find a dealer that sells the software. Typically each series or individual radio requires its own software package. Often the Kenwood software is less than $100 so don't be a cheapskate; just purchase it.

For M/A Com/Harris/GE, etc: there are two software packages that program all current and past radios. One package is for conventional programming and the other for trunked programming. The trunked package is in upwards of $2,500. The conventional package is more reasonable though is still several hundred dollars. The benefit is you do not need multiple versions for each radio (unlike Motorola).

This is a large and very visible forum. We cannot jeopardize the ability to provide the RadioReference services by allowing this activity to occur. Please respect this.

XTL/XTS5000 Powering on brick without control head?

KD9RTX

So I (perhaps stupidly) bought a cheap XTL5000 brick without a control head. It has the older TIB for the W style heads on it. If I temporarily repurpose the cables for my XTL2500, is there a way to power it up without a control head present in order to read the radio?

Last edited:

marcotor

I ♥ÆS Ø
Feed Provider
It should power up independently of any control head connection, and you should be able to read/write to the radio all day.

KD9RTX

Good point. So how does one go about powering up the brick without the control head? Do I have to short a couple pins? Or does it just happen when the command to read the radio is sent from the computer?

wgbecks

So I (perhaps stupidly) bought a cheap XTL5000 brick without a control head. It has the older TIB for the W style heads on it. If I temporarily repurpose the cables for my XTL2500, is there a way to power it up without a control head present in order to read the radio?

Yes, you can power the brick without a control head being it has a W-Series TIB. There are two DB-25 connectors on the font of the
TIB where it's only necessary to place a jumper from Pin-20 (A+) to Pin-22 (SW B+) on either of the two connectors. Be careful that you
do not inadvertently ground either of these pins or let your wiring touch any of the other pins with power applied to the radio.

Keep in mind that the programming cable attached to the Rear 26-pin Auxiliary Connector (J2) must have Pin-15 (Emergency) grounded
in addition to placing a jumper between A+ and SW B+ on the front of the TIB.

For reference, I am attaching copies of a wiring diagram that I have used to interconnect XTL Bricks E/W W-Series TIB's in a headless
configuration for use with the MC3000 and RCH3000 Digital Desksets.

Bill

Attachments

• RCH3000-MC3000 TO XTL5000 WIRING DIAGRAMS.pdf
    157.3 KB · Views: 64
Last edited:

prcguy

Can an XTL2500 be powered or used with any kind of remote TIB but no head? It would be interesting to do this with a pair of radios configured as a repeater using repeater cross over wiring on the 26 pin connectors.

wgbecks

Can an XTL2500 be powered or used with any kind of remote TIB but no head? It would be interesting to do this with a pair of radios configured as a repeater using repeater cross over wiring on the 26 pin connectors.

I want to recall that the M5 is the only CH option for the XTL2500. You would have to perform a little black magic and change the radio
over to an equivalent XTL5000 model. Otherwise, everything you need to do a cross over repeater exists on the Aux (J2) connector.

7/800 XTL5000's E/W W-Series TIB's are usually quite plentiful and cheap on the surplus market as a source of TIB's, flex cables, and head bridges if needed for your conversion.

prcguy

I want to recall that the M5 is the only CH option for the XTL2500. You would have to perform a little black magic and change the radio
over to an equivalent XTL5000 model. Otherwise, everything you need to do a cross over repeater exists on the Aux (J2) connector.

7/800 XTL5000's E/W W-Series TIB's are usually quite plentiful and cheap on the surplus market as a source of TIB's, flex cables, and head bridges if needed for your conversion.
Great, thanks!