Powhatan P25 System

Status
Not open for further replies.

maus92

Premium Subscriber
Here's the 7 site design, de-scoped from an 8 site design. I'm always interested in how new systems function when original designs are tossed for cost reasons, but user expectations have not changed.

Attachments

• Powhatan sites.pdf
    819.5 KB · Views: 34

maus92

Premium Subscriber
Some of the frequencies in the RRDB entry are not licensed to Powhatan County: 851.625; 851.9625; 858.075 and 858.300. Two additional call signs are WRDD912 and WRDL447. Attached spreadsheet maps the frequencies, licenses, and sites.

Attachments

• Powhatan freqs.pdf
    411 KB · Views: 45

maus92

Premium Subscriber
I finally got back around to monitoring the new system tonight using DSD+. It appears that they are currently using 852.2250 as the control channel with 4 voice channels. Has anyone else been monitoring? Any talk groups starting to be active?
The county provided documentation that states the system will have 5 channels which correlates with your finding. The RRDB entry for the system has some extraneous frequencies that should be removed if they are not verified. The frequencies in the FCC licenses are likely to be correct.

Attachments

• WRDD912 Extended implementation notice 2019.pdf
    176.6 KB · Views: 20

maus92

Premium Subscriber
The submitted frequencies came from Pro96com and dsd+ as I submitted them
I would check them again because it doesn't correspond to the FCC licensing, or what the county states the system as consisting of 5 channels. If they are using the frequencies you found, the county would be in violation and possibly interfering with another user. But you are there and I am not.

345binder

Powhatan Today –07/07/2021
My attempt at providing a link may not work.
Powhatan Today, (newspaper), July 7, 2022 edition provides article on updated timeline for testing in field and switch over, with legacy ending at the end of this year. I did not check the County's Facebook page if the same information is given.

Now, for my information:
What current or past scanners will work with Harris and or this new system?
I am sure the latest from the 996x on probably will, but are there any older radios that would work?

markrob7000

N4MDR
Premium Subscriber
I agree that there appears to be some extra frequencies in the RRDB.

This is the information that I grabbed from DSD+

Site 92959.00A - 10.10

NAC: 00A

maus92

Premium Subscriber
Powhatan Today –07/07/2021
My attempt at providing a link may not work.
Powhatan Today, (newspaper), July 7, 2022 edition provides article on updated timeline for testing in field and switch over, with legacy ending at the end of this year. I did not check the County's Facebook page if the same information is given.

Now, for my information:
What current or past scanners will work with Harris and or this new system?
I am sure the latest from the 996x on probably will, but are there any older radios that would work?
It's going to be simulcast P25, so the expensive scanners / radios that are designed to work with simulcast systems will like be the best choice. A Uniden 996P2 or Whistler TRX series are technically capable of receiving the system, but will likely not be the best choice.

BoxAlarm187

Level 6 RR Member (Since 1998)
Premium Subscriber
The project manager for the new system hopes for an October 21 go-live (assuming foliage-based coverage testing meets standards) and final acceptance in 2022.

345binder

Seems to be more dispatch testing and use of a test location, going on of late.
I have also noted there may be dispatch on the new channels, as there is more confirmation of calls by the dispatcher, that may not have originated by MDT or low power use.

Anyone notice for months, fire dispatch was also simulcast on another county’s frequency, I think it was either Dinwiddie or Nottoway?

I have also noted the new, I think, SHP unit, (maybe 1149), did not have the old main channel in use, but was apparently answering dispatch on another channel, for about a week or so.

BoxAlarm187

Level 6 RR Member (Since 1998)
Premium Subscriber
When the Powhatan VHF system went live some 20 years ago, a handful of changes were made to cut down on overlapping with other agencies. There were still times that Madison County could be received on Fire/Rescue dispatch, however. Goochland and Dinwiddie shared some VHF frequencies in the past.

Grid testing is actively underway on the 800MHz system now.

markrob7000

N4MDR
Premium Subscriber
The Powhatan Today paper has reported a go-live date of October 19th for the new system. The article also mentioned that there is no set time for turning off the old conventional analog system.

I can't find a link to the article online. I'll post one when I can find it.

BigZack

Powhatan went live with their new radio system yesterday. Fire and EMS are still broadcasting on the old analog frequencies in addition to the new ones but the audio sounds worse than it used to.

I have SDRtrunk up and running and can hear audio although it is sometimes broken or digital sounding. What's the best way to figure out the different channels/talk groups?

I'm new to SDRtrunk and really anything beyond old school analog scanning. Any help is appreciated.

Thanks!

BigZack

Anyone else having trouble with picking up Powhatan's new system? I have a laptop running SDRtrunk and a BCD325P2 scanner and they both seem to be hit-or-miss on receiving audio. I will sometimes hear something on one that the other doesn't pick up or hear broken audio on both. I drove around the county with the BCD325P2 and I was still only hearing parts of a communication so I don't think it's a weak signal problem.

LeSueurC

IBEW Local 50
Premium Subscriber
Anyone else having trouble with picking up Powhatan's new system? I have a laptop running SDRtrunk and a BCD325P2 scanner and they both seem to be hit-or-miss on receiving audio. I will sometimes hear something on one that the other doesn't pick up or hear broken audio on both. I drove around the county with the BCD325P2 and I was still only hearing parts of a communication so I don't think it's a weak signal problem.
Probably simulcast distortion. Especially if it’s a Harris system, try an Uniden SDS100, SDS200 or Unication to get better reception

BigZack

Probably simulcast distortion. Especially if it’s a Harris system, try an Uniden SDS100, SDS200 or Unication to get better reception
I think you are exactly right. I was about 10 miles outside the county last night and the audio was much better. Unfortunately a $700 scanner isn't in my budget so I guess I will just have to play around with attenuation, P25 threshold levels, and maybe building a yagi.

Anyone have better luck dealing with simulcast distortion with an SDR and specific software? I have a few RTL-SDR units with SDRTrunk but that doesn't seem to be any better than the BCD325P2 so far.

Status
Not open for further replies.