Powhatan VA

Status
Not open for further replies.

survivalist45

Hello, I finally downloaded the software to do this, instead of by hand like I have been doing for years.

Cant seem to find the system type for Powhatan county, and its not like they talk all the time to be able to sit through all of the possibilities and listen.

Does anyone know what it is? I already fixed chesterfield and they are coming in clear, but I'm trying to figure out Powhatan and Goochland, but more concerned with Powhatan.

QDP2012

Welcome to RR,

If you are describing this DB listing: Powhatan County Virginia, then it is not a TRS, and does not have a "system type" (e.g. P25, Type II, ProVoice, etc.). The frequencies listed are standard conventional (analog) frequencies. If you are describing a different system, please let us know.

Hope this helps,

survivalist45

I already made custom talk groups, and a trunking system. I may be over thinking this haha.

But I just cant seem to get it to work.

Attachments

• Talkgrp.jpg
    Talkgrp.jpg
    79.9 KB · Views: 135
  • trunk.jpg
    trunk.jpg
    70 KB · Views: 128

QDP2012

The frequencies for Powhatan are conventional, not part of a trunked radio system (TRS), which means:
  • In the first picture you posted, the top five rows are incorrect and should be deleted.
  • In the second picture you posted, the row that is in the red box should be deleted.

To enter the conventional frequencies for Powhatan:
  • Look at the Object Browser column (on the left side of the ARC500 screen), and
  • Click the word "Conventional" not "Talkgroup".
  • On the "Conventional" screen, you enter one frequency per row. (Each row is an independent conventional (analog) frequency, and is not part of a trunked radio system.)

If the talkgroups (in the first five rows of the first picture) came from some list in the database, please specify which database-listing. Entering those will be a separate step. If you "made them up", then you can delete them because they will not work as you had entered them.

Hope this helps,

survivalist45

OH.... I feel like a MORON.... Its working perfectly!

Thank you!... now how can I decipher the difference between conventional and trunked systems? To avoid this in the future?

QDP2012

You're certainly welcome,

Aside from all of the technical differences, the easiest way to tell is when looking at the RRDB pages. For example:

The RRDB presents all conventional listings in a similar way, and all TRS's in a similar way. Generally, conventional frequencies will be found on the "county page" for a given county. At the bottom of the "county page" will be a list of all related Trunked Radio Systems. (Notice that STARS is listed at the bottom of the Powhatan County page, but there is no "Powhatan Trunked Radio System" at the bottom of the "Powhatan County" page.)

When comparing the conventional page to the TRS page, also notice the page-layout differences:
  • Notice how the conventional frequencies of the Powhatan County page are simply listed as part of the county's page. Each frequency has a "License", ..., "Description", ..., etc. In general, conventional-frequencies pages look like this one.

• But, the STARS system has a box that lists "System Name", ..., "System Type", ..., etc. Farther down the page is a list of "System Frequencies", which is a list of tower-sites each having its own pool of frequencies. Below that list is the list of talkgroups. In general, TRS-pages look like this one.
Hope this helps,

Status
Not open for further replies.