PPB encypting Nets in 2021.

Status
Not open for further replies.

HarmFamily

Premium Subscriber
Hello all,

Following up to my submission to the BOEC, I actually received two replies today, around the same time. One response appears to be from a low level employee who provided what I would describe as an unhelpful, worn-out boiler plate "Not me." response. Zero assistance provided. Not worth repeating here except to say this guy provides the truth in the "polite but intentionally unhelpful public sector employee" stereotype.

The other reply, however, was from a senior position person at BOEC who took a very different approach, which was very much appreciated. This gentleman wrote me a very straightforward response acknowledging the receipt of my concerns and indicated he forwarded them on to the appropriate PPB contact for follow-up.

This second response from a senior position person was very welcome and instills faith in me that there are still those in public service who enjoy helping, and consider it within their wheelhouse a duty to assist in resolution and are happy to do so. I am very happy I received a helpful response to my concerns and hope the PPB will further respond in the spirit of positive, helpful service.

I will check back in when I know more. In the meantime, it appears that BOEC is not the place to direct your concerns on encryption. I do not have the appropriate PPB contact info but vow to track it down and will also provide that here when I obtain it. If anyone happens to have the appropriate contact at PPB for these concerns, please share.

Thanks everyone, I'll be back when I know more.

sparklehorse

Premium Subscriber
Hello all,

Following up to my submission to the BOEC, I actually received two replies today, around the same time. One response appears to be from a low level employee who provided what I would describe as an unhelpful, worn-out boiler plate "Not me." response. Zero assistance provided. Not worth repeating here except to say this guy provides the truth in the "polite but intentionally unhelpful public sector employee" stereotype.

The other reply, however, was from a senior position person at BOEC who took a very different approach, which was very much appreciated. This gentleman wrote me a very straightforward response acknowledging the receipt of my concerns and indicated he forwarded them on to the appropriate PPB contact for follow-up.

This second response from a senior position person was very welcome and instills faith in me that there are still those in public service who enjoy helping, and consider it within their wheelhouse a duty to assist in resolution and are happy to do so. I am very happy I received a helpful response to my concerns and hope the PPB will further respond in the spirit of positive, helpful service.

I will check back in when I know more. In the meantime, it appears that BOEC is not the place to direct your concerns on encryption. I do not have the appropriate PPB contact info but vow to track it down and will also provide that here when I obtain it. If anyone happens to have the appropriate contact at PPB for these concerns, please share.

Thanks for your efforts. Please let us know if/when you determine an appropriate contact at PPB. I will be happy to write that person voicing my concerns. In this current political environment we radio hobbyists may have more leverage on this issue than in times past. One would hope all law enforcement agencies will make strides toward better transparency going forward. Shutting out the public, including the media, from all dispatch communications seems extraordinarily unwise to me in this current climate.

Baker845

The best person to contact at PPB would be someone in the command staff. He or she can them send it up chain of command and get it to the person who knows.

HarmFamily

Premium Subscriber
I saw that, good point!! Sounds like a solid initiative for the incoming chief would be to address transparency, particularly given his community-based background.

mikeb

I believe most of the police communications are encrypted because honestly it gives them 1 less thing to deal with in today's " I got you world".
I do not think there is anything really sinister going just 1 less thing to think about. And yes if there is something Big going on that requires a large police activity they can control the "narrative".

HarmFamily

Premium Subscriber
The attempt to derail the issue by posting how you believe "it's nothing sinister" is beyond obvious, but it won't succeed, simply because nobody suggested anything of the sort.

Accountability to those you serve isn't as trivial as "one less thing to worry about". Following your logic to it's tragic end, disposing of Internal Affairs would also "just" be "one less thing to worry about, right? Why not?

The job of the police isn't to "control the narrative", or "remove items to worry about". It's to serve the public and provide safety with full accountability.

Unbelievable post, really, but thanks for showing your hand for all to see. Don't expect any further replies from me.

mikeb

Didn't know we were playing poker and showing our Hand. But I get it your area is currently encrypted and your mad. Been there myself.

icom1020

Premium Subscriber
Folks, the issue is case law, which sets a precedent for fighting future decisions such as this. Unless one has a court decision which ruled against the jurisdiction for say encryption, there is no legal recourse to challenge and many have sent letters and lawyers to address this.

You’re best bet is to hope for dispatch to remain in the clear but with Twitter et al, the municipality can claim they are keeping the public informed

dbjincorp

Member Since 2008
Premium Subscriber
Hello all,

dbjincorp

Member Since 2008
Premium Subscriber
Hello, I just wrote to Mayor Wheeler since he also assumes the role of Police Commissioner. Once new incoming police chief Chuck Lovell is in place I will write him as well. Note: as someone already stated, your emails need to be brief, to the point and proof read before sending. I will relay any response I receive in a future post.

PaulNDaOC

In following k9's lead, I just wrote a message to BOEC through their website as well. I'm going to share it here with you all, and hope it will encourage others to also write BOEC.

PLEASE do so in as respectful a manner as possible. I just wrote this a moment ago so no response yet obviously, but if they do respond I will share that too.

Thanks again to k9 for sharing the info, and I truly hope many many more of you will also reach out and express your dissatisfaction with this situation, and demand restoration of clear dispatch traffic.

Search "BOEC Portland", leave a comment. Hopefully we can get some grassroots action on this, register our dissatisfaction on this issue and get some appropriate change enacted.
----------
Hello,

I am a citizen and homeowner in Portland OR, as well as a federally licensed ham operator and scanner enthusiast. I've lived in Portland for nearly 3 decades. I actively participate in local HAM activities such as Multnomah County ARES to assist in relaying important information in times of emergency, and also monitor police/fire/ems traffic daily.

As you know, our city is rife with riots and wanton destruction, all are direct threats to public safety, not just police officers. As such, apparently BOEC and PPB decided to encrypt ALL traffic, including dispatch traffic, as of 2 days ago, denying the taxpayer and citizen access to all PPB radio activities and the information we need to keep ourselves and our neighbors safe and informed, as well as denying local news agencies the ability to report news without obfuscation.

The police can't be everywhere, especially during riots, so this the exact opposite action which should have been taken. In my opinion, this was THE most irresponsible time to block citizen access to dispatch traffic, a move which endangers communities through lack of information, as well as heightening the distrust already rampant in our city. Where is the transparency?? We ALL have to deal with the riots, we live here, not just members of the PPB. It is wholly irresponsible to deny citizens access to critical timely unobfuscated information via dispatch traffic.

Not only is this unprecedented, it is denying the taxpaying citizens of this city the ability to listen to dispatch traffic and be aware of what lately are rapidly changing threats to public safety.

We have already provided PPB the ability to encrypt necessarily on TAC channels. Moving ALL traffic to encrypted communication is irresponsible to those of us who live here, pay for these systems and pay the salaries and pensions of those we entrust to use the systems for public good.

On which date will the PPB and BOEC be doing the right thing and restoring the PPB radio traffic to a responsible and unobscured state, save for necessary encrypted TAC traffic, as it was prior to 6/2020 when dispatch was in the clear?

Thank you for your time and awaiting your reply.

Respectfully,
XXXXX XXXXXXXXX
----------
You are directing you're displeasure to the wrong agency. It's not a BOEC decision and was made by the police bureau.

PaulNDaOC

Right now is a great time to attempt to get this killed for good. The city has to be sensitive to oversight and accountability issue. Another angle to help kill this is this allows the police to determine what is and is not the news and not the public and news agencies and that is a good thing? Not. Not even for the best police agencies around.

rosecitytransit

Feed Provider
A partial compromise would be to have them set up official, delayed streams like they did in Central Oregon. It wouldn't allow people to be additional eyes and ears for police and call in info they may have when it's most vital, or to know immediately when to stay away from an area or that 911 doesn't need (another) call, or to use a scanner, but it would allow oversight, accountability and the public to become knowledgeable.

Status
Not open for further replies.