PPB encypting Nets in 2021.

Status
Not open for further replies.

HarmFamily

Premium Subscriber
Hello everyone... I just sent an email through the BOEC website and asked if they would reconsider encrypting dispatch talkgroups... Much to my surprise, someone actually responded. The bottom line is he said it's up to the Police Bureau to decide and he'll pass it along...
My hope is that the voice of the people who enjoy listening to the dispatch and police officers will help us in this hobby...
BOEC... If you are on this site please understand that there are many more good guys out here in the community that treat this a a serious hobby! Thanks for all you do!!

Appreciate the effort, thanks for sharing. I will also reach out to them with the same request, and will begin engaging people en masse to do the same as well.

dimsone503

Bought an SDS100 the other day, before the "beeps" started. Loved the LAW channel surf capability as I'm new to radio scanners and am really digging it. Then the beeps started on all the dispatch channels. I thought i screwed something up. Thanks for the piece of mind. Hope those channels come back to life soon. You guys ROCK! I appreciate all the work and time you put in.

uncledenny48

PPB has switched everything over to Tac 1 for all precincts, tac 1 is encrypted. I believe they are doing this during these protests.

k-9policexj

Bought an SDS100 the other day, before the "beeps" started. Loved the LAW channel surf capability as I'm new to radio scanners and am really digging it. Then the beeps started on all the dispatch channels. I thought i screwed something up. Thanks for the piece of mind. Hope those channels come back to life soon. You guys ROCK! I appreciate all the work and time you put in.

At the moment Multnomah County Sheriff talkgroup isn't encrypted, so you can still monitor stuff in East county and hear some familiar dispatchers voices...

Otto

If PPB plans on encrypting basic dispatch channels in the foreseeable future, I will be a vocal opponent at city council meetings. That kind of thing flies in the face of police accountability. Personally, if PPB chooses this route, I will happily vote to defund PPB, and or request they have no access to a tax payer funded radio system.

Otto

If you bought that new scanner to listen to PPB, you might have wasted your money. I get the feeling that they will not go back to being open again after this.

dbjincorp

Member Since 2008
Premium Subscriber

HarmFamily

Premium Subscriber
In following k9's lead, I just wrote a message to BOEC through their website as well. I'm going to share it here with you all, and hope it will encourage others to also write BOEC.

PLEASE do so in as respectful a manner as possible. I just wrote this a moment ago so no response yet obviously, but if they do respond I will share that too.

Thanks again to k9 for sharing the info, and I truly hope many many more of you will also reach out and express your dissatisfaction with this situation, and demand restoration of clear dispatch traffic.

Search "BOEC Portland", leave a comment. Hopefully we can get some grassroots action on this, register our dissatisfaction on this issue and get some appropriate change enacted.
----------
Hello,

I am a citizen and homeowner in Portland OR, as well as a federally licensed ham operator and scanner enthusiast. I've lived in Portland for nearly 3 decades. I actively participate in local HAM activities such as Multnomah County ARES to assist in relaying important information in times of emergency, and also monitor police/fire/ems traffic daily.

As you know, our city is rife with riots and wanton destruction, all are direct threats to public safety, not just police officers. As such, apparently BOEC and PPB decided to encrypt ALL traffic, including dispatch traffic, as of 2 days ago, denying the taxpayer and citizen access to all PPB radio activities and the information we need to keep ourselves and our neighbors safe and informed, as well as denying local news agencies the ability to report news without obfuscation.

The police can't be everywhere, especially during riots, so this the exact opposite action which should have been taken. In my opinion, this was THE most irresponsible time to block citizen access to dispatch traffic, a move which endangers communities through lack of information, as well as heightening the distrust already rampant in our city. Where is the transparency?? We ALL have to deal with the riots, we live here, not just members of the PPB. It is wholly irresponsible to deny citizens access to critical timely unobfuscated information via dispatch traffic.

Not only is this unprecedented, it is denying the taxpaying citizens of this city the ability to listen to dispatch traffic and be aware of what lately are rapidly changing threats to public safety.

We have already provided PPB the ability to encrypt necessarily on TAC channels. Moving ALL traffic to encrypted communication is irresponsible to those of us who live here, pay for these systems and pay the salaries and pensions of those we entrust to use the systems for public good.

On which date will the PPB and BOEC be doing the right thing and restoring the PPB radio traffic to a responsible and unobscured state, save for necessary encrypted TAC traffic, as it was prior to 6/2020 when dispatch was in the clear?

Thank you for your time and awaiting your reply.

Respectfully,
XXXXX XXXXXXXXX
----------

I too would sign a petition against encryption if one was started.

The irony of this, these protests/riots are over police conduct and transparency. Yet anything (well, everything now) pertaining (and not pertaining) to the protest/riots is all encrypted.

Otto

Defunding the PPB is crazy and a dumb thing to do. There are other ways of keeping the Police accountable. One was already listed.
I know, I gues I am just upset about the idea of them encrypting this stuff. I've been listening to BOEC for over 20 years now, and if they go to encryption, I have lost a part of my favorite hobby.

Otto

In following k9's lead, I just wrote a message to BOEC through their website as well. I'm going to share it here with you all, and hope it will encourage others to also write BOEC.

PLEASE do so in as respectful a manner as possible. I just wrote this a moment ago so no response yet obviously, but if they do respond I will share that too.

Thanks again to k9 for sharing the info, and I truly hope many many more of you will also reach out and express your dissatisfaction with this situation, and demand restoration of clear dispatch traffic.

Search "BOEC Portland", leave a comment. Hopefully we can get some grassroots action on this, register our dissatisfaction on this issue and get some appropriate change enacted.
----------
Hello,

I am a citizen and homeowner in Portland OR, as well as a federally licensed ham operator and scanner enthusiast. I've lived in Portland for nearly 3 decades. I actively participate in local HAM activities such as Multnomah County ARES to assist in relaying important information in times of emergency, and also monitor police/fire/ems traffic daily.

As you know, our city is rife with riots and wanton destruction, all are direct threats to public safety, not just police officers. As such, apparently BOEC and PPB decided to encrypt ALL traffic, including dispatch traffic, as of 2 days ago, denying the taxpayer and citizen access to all PPB radio activities and the information we need to keep ourselves and our neighbors safe and informed, as well as denying local news agencies the ability to report news without obfuscation.

The police can't be everywhere, especially during riots, so this the exact opposite action which should have been taken. In my opinion, this was THE most irresponsible time to block citizen access to dispatch traffic, a move which endangers communities through lack of information, as well as heightening the distrust already rampant in our city. Where is the transparency?? We ALL have to deal with the riots, we live here, not just members of the PPB. It is wholly irresponsible to deny citizens access to critical timely unobfuscated information via dispatch traffic.

Not only is this unprecedented, it is denying the taxpaying citizens of this city the ability to listen to dispatch traffic and be aware of what lately are rapidly changing threats to public safety.

We have already provided PPB the ability to encrypt necessarily on TAC channels. Moving ALL traffic to encrypted communication is irresponsible to those of us who live here, pay for these systems and pay the salaries and pensions of those we entrust to use the systems for public good.

On which date will the PPB and BOEC be doing the right thing and restoring the PPB radio traffic to a responsible and unobscured state, save for necessary encrypted TAC traffic, as it was prior to 6/2020 when dispatch was in the clear?

Thank you for your time and awaiting your reply.

Respectfully,
XXXXX XXXXXXXXX
----------
This is exactly the same message I wanted to communicate to the city. Add n the fact that the news media no longer has access to current events happening in our city, and this is the message we need to send.

HarmFamily

Premium Subscriber
Well brother, I hope you and anyone else reading this thread will take advantage of a perfect opportunity RIGHT NOW to write to BOEC and tell them how you feel about them cutting off PPB dispatch traffic to the public at large, media included. The feedback needs to start with ALL of us! The more people who comment to BOEC, the more likely it gets traction and attention. Be brief, anything will help. Got a friend who enjoys scanning as a hobby? HAM radio operator? Media, mainstream or otherwise? Share this with them! Make your voices heard!

Here's the link to BOEC's "Tell Us What You Think" submission form.

Click HERE for BOEC

Thanks again all, please write BOEC to tell them to return dispatch and non-TAC traffic to being broadcast in the clear NOW!

Kevin

Baker845

Why only Portland, lets also add Salem,Washington/Clackamas county, Deschutes county and Lane county. Law Enforcement in those counties are or plan to encrypt there system's.

Status
Not open for further replies.