PPB encypting Nets in 2021.

Status
Not open for further replies.

PaulNDaOC

That's what I am hearing from someone in the know at BOEC. Apparently the news media is a little upset about it too because provisions are not being made for them to buy radios.
But as they say on Broadway it ain't over till the fat lady sings.
Not sure if this covers Net 4 (if they are still called that) County/Gresham or not.

ChrisP

Premium Subscriber
I have heard the same information. I guess TriMet and the Bureau of Maintenance guys will still be in the clear! :cautious:

icom1020

Premium Subscriber
It’s the trend now. Doesn’t cost any extra. All law enforcement and possibly others in Multnomah county. New upgraded systems like WCCCA and Seattle as well will do the same. It’s why I posted earlier that it may be wise not to invest in a newer receiver if your interest is LE or similar in The Portland area. It would not surprise me that the Tri Cities in eastern Washington could do the same now that Umatilla/Morrow has announced they plan to soon.

V_A_R_I_A_B_L_E

CIA Agent
Feed Provider
I feel like if any municipality would be susceptible to public pressure/outcry/lobbying for transparency in an effort to halt plans for public safety radio encryption, it would be Portland.

Baker845

Transparency has been out the window for a long time. I always wonder why law enforcement wants to go to encryption. i always hear its for officer safety, but that's a lie. They want to Lock out the public so law enforcement doesn't have to be accountable or show transparency to the Public. Also i don't think there called nets any more.

PaulNDaOC

I feel like if any municipality would be susceptible to public pressure/outcry/lobbying for transparency in an effort to halt plans for public safety radio encryption, it would be Portland.
I agree and is the reason I posted it. In a ultra-liberal city like Portland, there is a chance of stoking sensitivities to halt this. This should infuriate militant copwatch groups you have there.

PaulNDaOC

nts to go to encryption. i always hear its for officer safety, but that's a lie. They want to Lock out the public so law enforcement doesn't have to be accountable or show transparency to the Public. Also i don't think there called nets any more.
I think you are correct about dispatch channels no longer being called nets any longer. I think at BOEC they just refer to it as Central, East, County etc.. just as it displays on the radios now.

For the public at large, the fundamental issue created by encryption is you have the Police in the driver's seat of deciding for the media what is news and not news.

I live in suburban Los Angeles where it is about 50/50 open/encrypted. It's laughable in a city next to me where their Twitter and Facebook releases look like they are crafted by a PR firm and rarely resemble news. The only time they do put out information on some sort of incident is if the news media finds out about it another way and has called them.

However whee I live where it is still analog, the Sheriff's Dept regularly informs the public about incidents good and bad.

icom1020

Premium Subscriber
I agree and is the reason I posted it. In a ultra-liberal city like Portland, there is a chance of stoking sensitivities to halt this. This should infuriate militant copwatch groups you have there.
Doesn't really matter on location. Eugene/Springfield, Bend, Pendleton. It's easier now that it's offered when systems are upgraded or they just decide to do so. Several system managers have identified the reasons why...

10% increase officer safety, 90% reduce liability. Interesting considering we have body cams now. Absurd how much less accountability those "in charge" are trying to differ and weasel their way out of.

Fielder3

Premium Subscriber
What is PPB ?
PPB ("Portland Police Bureau", just another word for a departement within the City of Portland. The Fire Bureau changed their name a few years back to Portland Fire and Rescue. There is Bureau of Emergency Communications - BOEC 911, Bureau of Public Transporation - PBOT, Housing Bureau, Water Bureau, etc.

Fielder3

Premium Subscriber
"Nets". What does that mean?
NET is simply another name for a radio channel used by PPB for a specific patrol precint or a patrol/ dispatch task needed. NETS have been around for what seems like "forever" in Portland. Even though PPB is on 800 Trunking, the talk group has a designated "NET" name given to it.
Net 1- Central Precint patrol and traffic cars, Net 2- North Precint patrol and traffic cars, etc. Net 8 use to be Wants and Warrants/ Tow request etc. The "NET" terminology for channels/800 talk group applies to all of Multnomah County Law Enforcement.

uncledenny48

That's what I am hearing from someone in the know at BOEC. Apparently the news media is a little upset about it too because provisions are not being made for them to buy radios.
But as they say on Broadway it ain't over till the fat lady sings.
Not sure if this covers Net 4 (if they are still called that) County/Gresham or not.

Looks like they encrypted last night 5/15, East talk group only. It appears they do this when they have a tactical operation going on. It was back on today 5/16.

k-9policexj

Hello everyone... I just sent an email through the BOEC website and asked if they would reconsider encrypting dispatch talkgroups... Much to my surprise, someone actually responded. The bottom line is he said it's up to the Police Bureau to decide and he'll pass it along...
My hope is that the voice of the people who enjoy listening to the dispatch and police officers will help us in this hobby...
BOEC... If you are on this site please understand that there are many more good guys out here in the community that treat this a a serious hobby! Thanks for all you do!!

uncledenny48

They have switched to Tac 1 on East, central and North during the protests...the dispatch talk group's are still unencrypted. Eoc and the command staff dictate that. My friend works up there at BOEC and told me that. She doesn't know of any long term plans to encrypt the dispatch talk groups.

k-9policexj

They have switched to Tac 1 on East, central and North during the protests...the dispatch talk group's are still unencrypted. Eoc and the command staff dictate that. My friend works up there at BOEC and told me that. She doesn't know of any long term plans to encrypt the dispatch talk groups.

I had turned on my Unication G5 this morning and heard a beeping tone on East Dispatch... Maybe it's different this afternoon?
I'd love to be able to bring home a work radio, but we don't have enough as it is...

V_A_R_I_A_B_L_E

CIA Agent
Feed Provider
Spoke with a Portland officer a couple days ago who said they were handling the protests/riots on Central Tac 1, but regular traffic was still on the main nets. As of right now, just a quarter after 4pm, I am hearing only beepers on all three dispatch nets, and the radio ID numbers that are sending them appear to be BOEC dispatch consoles. I am not hearing any voice traffic at all. (If you're listening to Broadcastify, my Central feed does also include PSU PD, however)

HarmFamily

Premium Subscriber
All PPB dispatch has been nothing but beeps. silence and playing games with the RadioID for days, so they're obscuring/redirecting/otherwise the traffic. I don't think it's encrypted as there is no encryption symbol as all the PPB Tac channels are (and that's fine, they're TAC chans), and no "busy signal" or other indication, just "beeeep <silence,,,>" over and over and zero conversation. Real greasy move to say the least considering who's paying for it.

MCSO Dispatch, however, hasn't engaged in this nonsense, and their dispatch is as it's always been; available.

Baker and Dreamflight are both on point.

Status
Not open for further replies.