PPB Vehicle Antennas

Status
Not open for further replies.

gakoenig

Premium Subscriber
This might be a dumb question, but searching out answers on here is a bit difficult for new scanner users. Lots of technical jargon and complexity to sort of learn through. Anyhow...

I've noticed that PPB cars have 4-6 antennas on them. It looks like 2 800mhz antennas for the Portland system, and I am assuming one for the Verizon data connection and another for GPS. What are the others?

Also, why two 800mhz antennas?

Any info would be greatly appreciated, so thanks!

Gezelle007

Lurker in the Deep
Premium Subscriber
This might be a dumb question, but searching out answers on here is a bit difficult for new scanner users. Lots of technical jargon and complexity to sort of learn through. Anyhow...

I've noticed that PPB cars have 4-6 antennas on them. It looks like 2 800mhz antennas for the Portland system, and I am assuming one for the Verizon data connection and another for GPS. What are the others?

Also, why two 800mhz antennas?

Any info would be greatly appreciated, so thanks!

This video kind of shows the inside setup, Portland Oregon, Ford Police Interceptors - YouTube

The four long black ones are for the LoJack system. The two 800MHz ones are probably for the MDT and the Motorola XTL2500 radio.

Some of the cars have the three VHF long 1/4 wave whips, I think that may be for the bank bag LoJack system.

Last edited:

mjohnston4

Gezelle is right. Whenever you see a cluster of 3 or 4 antennas really close that is for a Lo-Jack or similar system. The two 800 antennas are for radio and MDT. GPS are usually short round hockey puck looking things, they look different that shortly antennas.

Gezelle007

Lurker in the Deep
Premium Subscriber
Gezelle is right. Whenever you see a cluster of 3 or 4 antennas really close that is for a Lo-Jack or similar system. The two 800 antennas are for radio and MDT. GPS are usually short round hockey puck looking things, they look different that shortly antennas.

Some of the cars have an antenna directly behind the lightbar that look like this one: Larsen NMO4E4900B

Status
Not open for further replies.