• To anyone looking to acquire commercial radio programming software:

Please do not make requests for copies of radio programming software which is sold (or was sold) by the manufacturer for any monetary value. All requests will be deleted and a forum infraction issued. Making a request such as this is attempting to engage in software piracy and this forum cannot be involved or associated with this activity. The same goes for any private transaction via Private Message. Even if you attempt to engage in this activity in PM's we will still enforce the forum rules. Your PM's are not private and the administration has the right to read them if there's a hint to criminal activity.

If you are having trouble legally obtaining software please state so. We do not want any hurt feelings when your vague post is mistaken for a free request. It is YOUR responsibility to properly word your request.

To obtain Motorola software see the Sticky in the Motorola forum.

The various other vendors often permit their dealers to sell the software online (i.e., Kenwood). Please use Google or some other search engine to find a dealer that sells the software. Typically each series or individual radio requires its own software package. Often the Kenwood software is less than $100 so don't be a cheapskate; just purchase it.

For M/A Com/Harris/GE, etc: there are two software packages that program all current and past radios. One package is for conventional programming and the other for trunked programming. The trunked package is in upwards of $2,500. The conventional package is more reasonable though is still several hundred dollars. The benefit is you do not need multiple versions for each radio (unlike Motorola).

This is a large and very visible forum. We cannot jeopardize the ability to provide the RadioReference services by allowing this activity to occur. Please respect this.

PPS Enhancement Suggestions

Status
Not open for further replies.

MonitoringDelCo

Premium Subscriber
I would like to request Unication to consider some PPS enhancements.

Regarding D4 – Group ID Setting:
  • Currently, the only descriptive field in PPS is the “Group Alias” that is also displayed on the pager screen when the pager lands on a talk group. Initially, a user may enter into PPS five talk groups for an agency, and later, may need to add one or more additional talk groups for the same agency. The first five could be numbered 10 – 15, and the next entries could be way down the list such as 180 – 184. I would like to see an additional field such as a “Group” or “Agency” field (not sent to the pager during programming, but only maintained in PPS for user convenience) that is capable of being sorted. This way, the user could click somewhere on a button or the column heading for “Group” or “Agency” and the list would then sort so the user could easily see the talk groups that have been entered for an agency or system. For example, after sorting, the user would see the talk groups sorted as: OSP District 1, OSP District 2, OSP District 3, and so on. Currently, selecting the group heading highlights the Parameter Description for the selected column heading. Possibly add a sort icon to the column heading or add a sorting button at the top in between the “Custom tone Setting” and “Import” buttons.
  • I would also like to see a “Description” column where the user could enter talk group notes with up to 75 characters including spaces.
  • Possibly change “Alert Tone” default to “None” unless there is a need to keep it as “Default Tone” for public safety users.
  • Add code to the talk group entry windows to allow the “OK” button to trigger when pressing the Enter key on the keyboard.
Regarding D2 – Conventional Frequency Setting
  • Add sorting capability for the “Frequency Alias” column.
Regarding D2 – P25 Trunking System Setting
  • Add sorting capability for the “System Alias” column.
Thanks!
Bill

bob550

Premium Subscriber
I certainly second that request to add ability to sort D4! This would be especially helpful when adding a TG to an existing system. It would also be helpful to be able to insert new TG lines where desired.

radio3353

My hand is also up for the ability to sort the Group Alias column in D4 or inserting new lines anywhere in the list. I would really like to be able to keep alias names together for each system rather than just being added to the end of the list. Thank you Unication for considering this (and MonitoringDelCo for starting this thread.)

N0GTG

Scanner programmer since 1997
Premium Subscriber
I would like to be able to export the talk groups and conventional frequencies to an Excel spreadsheet, make changes, and import that modified data back to the PPS. That would also make it much easier to build a summary of the programming to print out, and carry.

ffexpCP

wizard of odd
Database Admin
I'd like to see PPS use a normal 'save' system where the user selects the location of the file. Something that would allow for network file sharing and backup. Having to import and export through the program is awful. It appears user data is embedded somewhere hidden. I recently had a computer crash and all of my PPS data was lost since there's no way to access the files to automatically back it up. Ideally, I'd like to specify a folder that's connected to a cloud service, so I always have access to my most recent versions of my files no matter where I am or what computer I use.

ffexpCP

wizard of odd
Database Admin
Within the pager, I'd like to see options for user-select tones for alerts.

radio3353

I'd like to see PPS use a normal 'save' system where the user selects the location of the file. Something that would allow for network file sharing and backup. Having to import and export through the program is awful. It appears user data is embedded somewhere hidden. I recently had a computer crash and all of my PPS data was lost since there's no way to access the files to automatically back it up. Ideally, I'd like to specify a folder that's connected to a cloud service, so I always have access to my most recent versions of my files no matter where I am or what computer I use.

When you click the Export button, don't you get a pop-up window to select the save location? I do. Or, am I not understanding your request?

ffexpCP

wizard of odd
Database Admin
That's fine if you want to deal with importing and exporting with each use. Seems too easy to mess up and use the wrong version of the programming doing that, since you will have original fines in PPS and the imported version. Something will get lost.

Status
Not open for further replies.