Pr0-2096

Status
Not open for further replies.

ozzie

Premium Subscriber
My reception on my pro-2096 is quite poor at times. I have a great antenna and cable so I know that is not my issue. I have the 1.4 firmware installed. Does anyone know if updating to the 1.5 cpu would help. I am waiting for another firmware update but so far have not seen anything.

N8IAA

My reception on my pro-2096 is quite poor at times. I have a great antenna and cable so I know that is not my issue. I have the 1.4 firmware installed. Does anyone know if updating to the 1.5 cpu would help. I am waiting for another firmware update but so far have not seen anything.

The 1.4 was to fix a receive problem on the Ohio MARCS system. Updating your cpu will cost a bundle and won't help. What are you trying to listen to? Location, location, location.
Larry

brent30

Your cable may be great, but if you did any soldering, that could be the problem, you can have the best cable in the world but if you soldering is bad, your reception will have a poor quality.

rabidmoose57

Location is right!

Any obstructions nearby like large trees, etc.? Or temporary obstructions like cranes or other tall construction equipment? I've noticed that when the larger trees around my place get wet it tends to degrade my reception, especially in 800 mhz range.

ozzie

Premium Subscriber
No trees real close. When the cable was made it was done at a radio shop. I will also be needing a scanner for mobile use. Any opinons between GRE 600 and uniden 996. Thanks in advance.

Last edited:

SAR923

Try the weather channels. If they come in better with the attenuator on than off, that is you problem. The base antenna is feeding in too much signal and causing frot end desense. This affects freqencies between about 120 Mhz to 175 Mhz. All the other frequencies are fine. Just attenuate all the frrequencies in the above range and you should find your 2096 will pick up just fine again.

ind224

Cpu

RS service told me all 2096 have the same CPU 1.1 or 1.2 Can you do the "3" at the welcome screen and confirm this?

I just bought the 2096 last week. Checked my CPU and it's v1.3. Almost all my signals that are over say 10 miles away and in the 150.00 range all have a little static in the background. My antenna is just on the radio and inside the house. I'm sure this is a static contributor besides being less than 2 feet away from my computers (2) in the same room. Actually as for the ATTenuation button when I activate it on a paused station with static. the audio stays the same and the static is increased.

This stuff doesn't bother me for after a while of listening the ear becomes trained to it and I hardly notice the static in the background.

Maybe some of the stuf I listed will help in clearing up your problem.

Bill

ozzie

Premium Subscriber
I am only monitoring the 800mhz ARMER system in MN. Not all transmissions are garbled. I will get a few that are loud and clear and then one or two garbled and then clear again. This might be a simulcast system. Is the 2096 a multi-site trunking scanner? I wonder if this could be my issue.

oilmillcharlie

Premium Subscriber
I am only monitoring the 800mhz ARMER system in MN. Not all transmissions are garbled. I will get a few that are loud and clear and then one or two garbled and then clear again. This might be a simulcast system. Is the 2096 a multi-site trunking scanner? I wonder if this could be my issue.

Your issue may be interference from a nearby cell tower to your location or near the system transmitters causing the break up.

JASII

Memory Capacity
I am sort of in this same category. I have a friends Radio Shack PRO-2096 that we wants me to add the new control channels. His CPU is v1.0. Will i t help any to upgrade? Also, I gather that I should upgrade him to v.1.3 then? He is mainly interested in the Minnesota ARMER system, which is a CQPSK (simulcast) system.

Status
Not open for further replies.