Pr0-96/2096 and 700 megahertz

Status
Not open for further replies.

DaveIN said:
Radio Shack would have to offer a hardware change to the logic and display board in order to track P25 systems that use 700 MHz and not that many systems are currently using 700 MHz.

It's interesting that they have released a DSP patch, but that is quite a bit different than a hardware upgrade. I think it would more likely be a test of the DSP in the field to prove if something worked for an upcoming model. If Radio Shack was to upgrade the current hardware (firmware) then why would you need the next version. Keep in mind if you upgrade the 96 then you would also need to upgrade the 2096.

Most people want the best quality digital audio, but it won't do much good if it won't track the system.

It's beginning to look like some would buy a P25 digital only scanner just for tracking Motorola digital systems only, with no EDACS or LTR included, just as long as it tracks Motorola systems (including 700 MHz). Maybe there is a market for such a radio that is not a transceiver for less than $500.
You will see more of these systems out there. I've just begun the process to explore a 9-site, 7-channel 700 MHz trunked system to replace several VHF systems which missed the mark in their deployment. While I'd like to do this on 800 MHz rather than on 700 (I see the impending 6.25 equivalency date on 700 as a threat for deployment rather than an opportunity - particularly if your budget forces you to buy mid-tier equipment which may cost as much as buying new to retrofit at a later time), there are presently no NPSPAC or general pool 800 MHz frequencies available in my area until either we re-pack NPSPAC and modify the plan (which would require the approval of 8 border states), or wait for the Nextel realignment. Anything we do here will most likely be on 700 MHz and will be trunked (that 7 channel system will replace 14 discrete VHF systems/ combiner nightmare, some simulcast, some stand-alone, some repeater, some simplex, each with a different footprint - classic haphazard deployment). If this ever gets off the drawingboard, it will tie into a master site controller in another community and will be a node of a larger, zoned system which would allow regionwide roaming on some interoperability talkgroups.

P25 won't be just for Motorola. We've tested EFJ portable and mobile radio equipment within an all Motorola (VHF) quasi-P25 environment (wide pulse) and they worked well. An associate of mine tested a M/A-Com radio within his (800 MHz trunked 9.6k CCH) Motorola P25 system's environment and that worked as well. Each of the trunked system manufacturers is producing a basic P25 package, but have some proprietary enhancements (like Motorola's $4 ADP encryption, which, if you use it, marries you to the product). A group of us who work in public safety communications believe most 700 MHz public safety systems will be deployed in some basic form of P25, regardless of whether they are EFJ, M/A-Com or Motorola. Now that the ISSI component of P25 has been finalized and awaits publication, there is a standard on how all of these dissimilar elements communicate with each other, particularly with respect to infrastructure.

That said, there is nothing stopping systems from building systems which are more efficient than P25 on their primary operations channels. That's where OpenSky can fill in. OpenSky has the functionality of a five channel trunked system in ONE repeater (!). There are also microcell options where a box with connectivity could be bolted to a pole, hang an antenna on top of it and power it up and you have fill-in coverage (none of the other manufacturers are doing that... each seems to be interested in full sites at much greater costs). There is also a vehicle repeater system which essentially digipeats from a portable into the system if the unit can't hit the system directly (without user intervention). 'nuff of a sales job (I'm not a salesman), no scanner exists for this and right now OpenSky is proprietary, although the 4TDMA may become a P25 phase 2 solution. Don't forget 700 MHz users have a migration to one voicepath in 6.25 kHz equivalency date, even though the technoloy hasn't been developed (way to go, FCC). So some day in the future, P25 will change to something narrower. So we'll do all of this again eventially. Just simply monitoring as a hobby is going to become more complicated eventually.

Interesting theory about RS. Makes sense to test the DSP algorithm for future scanner hardware and it's easy enough to do. I don't see RS as being capable of handling a chip change or factory mod (if they had a 'bed of nails' fixture and could flash new firmware into their processor for 700 MHz) to all of their legacy products, either. IMO, their v1.3 depot upgrade a few years ago was disastrous.

wa8pyr

Technischer Guru
Staff member
Lead Database Admin
rdale said:
But all 700MHz transmssions are trunked

Only on a trunked system. There are plenty of conventional 700 MHz channels as well.

rdale

Completely Banned for the Greater Good
Premium Subscriber
I didn't know there were any being used now - who uses 700MHz conventional these days?

KE4ZNR

Radio Geek
Premium Subscriber
rdale said:
I didn't know there were any being used now - who uses 700MHz conventional these days?

Well, Wake County, North Carolina for one....they have several 700Mhz conventional vehicle based frequencies & repeaters for Fire/EMS on scene communications where the 800Mhz system has trouble penetrating....Take A look HERE
edit: look under the "system Misc information"
Hope this helps!
Marshall KE4ZNR

Last edited:

pro92b

Mutated Member
Premium Subscriber
902 said:
I've got all the confidence in the world in whatever Don Starr says. He knows this product inside and out and I think he's earned trust through the great stuff he's done. Perhaps he'd be able to construct a custom table alias for the 700 MHz frequencies to make it all work through software and it will be as simple as a checkbox :)
I doubt that there is a way to get around the present firmware blocking trunked mode in the 700 MHz range. Performance would probably not be good anyway. There have been reports of 800 MHz images showing up in the 700 range. Also remember that the radio is not really designed to tune 700 MHz. The front end filter has an 806 MHz cutoff. I measure a 20 dB quieting sensitivity of 2.1 uV at 765 MHz which would give performance about equal to its mil-air capability (also a band the radio is not intended to cover).

Status
Not open for further replies.