Prairie Power Co-Op supposedly on Starcom

Status
Not open for further replies.

Wirechief48

Good afternoon all. Have exhausted all of my investigative skills chasing down Prairie Power Co-Op headquartered in Springfield. They are a Generation and Transmission cooperative supplying power to distribution Electric Cooperatives across Central Illinois. I find their VF listings in RR, but those are quiet and do not have a Springfield location/license listed. I have been advised by one of the member co-ops that Prairie has migrated to Starcom some time ago. I have scoured te various databases for IDs etc. Someone have knowledge to share? Tnx, Tim

Starcom21

IL /MO/Global DB Adm!n
Database Admin
They probably haven't been identified by any users yet, if they are on Starcom21.

My first bet would be that they are on ClearTalk, though. As far as I know, only Ameren (and it's contractors) can use SC21

Starcom21

IL /MO/Global DB Adm!n
Database Admin
Very interesting. Requesting a waiver. But still odd, as that is the basic purpose of the ClearTalk system. (or at least was at one point). Many of those companies have their own systems. Either it hasn't gone through yet, or they havent started using.... or we havent found them (could be encrypted possibly???)

Thanks for the info. Keep us informed if you find anything.

Starcom21

IL /MO/Global DB Adm!n
Database Admin
  1. PPI states that “[m]ost of [its] members operate separate systems without any form of interoperability, despite their need to dispatch and coordinate repair crews during emergencies to clear and restore downed power lines and interrupted service and to coordinate electric transmission and delivery.”1 It further notes that “[a]nother critical gap is the existing systems’ lack of interoperability with the public safety agencies and other utilities with whom PPI and its member cooperatives must often communicate during emergencies.”2 For example, immediately after severe weather events, fallen power lines and utility poles can often hinder first responders’ ability to reach those in need of medical assistance or rescue.3 PPI claims public safety entities depend “on robust lines of communication with PPI and its members to ensure that damaged power lines have been rendered inert before State and local personnel can safety undertake law enforcement, rescue and repair operations.”4
  2. PPI notes specifically its need for interoperability with neighboring Ameren, a major investor-owned electric and gas utility that provides wholesale power delivery services to PPI.5 PPI notes Ameren and PPI must coordinate power delivery paths, which require communication between PPI and Ameren dispatch centers and mobile users.6 To illustrate the importance of interoperability, PPI recounts a major storm during the summer of 2011 where “PPI employees had to drive approximately ten miles during the storm to make cellular telephone contact with PPI’s and Ameren’s dispatch centers to coordinate” the safe restoration of electricity.7 PPI seeks a waiver of the Commission’s Rules to permit the shared use of 800 MHz public safety frequencies, in part to avoid situations like the summer 2011 storm.8

Starcom21

IL /MO/Global DB Adm!n
Database Admin
  1. PPI proposes to operate 140 radios dispersed over a 44-county, primarily rural, service area.1 PPI also states that their presence on STARCOM21 would “on average, result in an increase of fewer than three mobile users in each of those counties,” causing only a negligible increase in the demand for and stress on STARCOM21.2 Moreover, PPI notes that Illinois and PPI will enter into a “Use Agreement” incorporating the same operational rules established relative to Ameren.3 The Use Agreement will also grant priority to public safety agencies’ communications over PPI’s, in the event that STARCOM21 cannot accommodate both.4 Because of this prioritization for public safety entities and the minimal added stress on STARCOM21, Illinois supports PPI’s waiver request.5 Finally, PPI notes that the Illinois State Police and Ameren support PPI’s waiver request.6

Starcom21

IL /MO/Global DB Adm!n
Database Admin
  1. IT IS ORDERED that pursuant to Section 4(i) of the Communications Act of 1934, as amended, 47 U.S.C. § 154(i), and Sections 1.925 and 90.179 of the Commission's Rules, 47 C.F.R. §§ 1.925, 90.179, the Waiver Request filed by filed by Prairie Power, Inc. on March 6, 2012 is GRANTED to the extent indicated herein.
  2. This action is taken under delegated authority pursuant to Sections 0.191 and 0.392 of the Commission’s Rules, 47 C.F.R. §§ 0.191 and 0.392.

frankdrebbin

It's a wonder there isn't more interoperability among systems. Last summer there was an incident here where a static line on the local Co-ops' 34.5Kv subtransmission somehow fell onto the highway at night. A pickup truck driving by snagged the static and it wound around the rear axle and drug it into all 3 phases and knocked the whole county out. Ameren's sub was locked out also and they had no idea what happened. So I'm listening to them squawk trying to figure out what happened and the Co-op didn't know their fault knocked Ameren down. No comms except by phone thru various dispatchers until finally Ameren figured out what was going on and still had to wait for Co-op clearance before re-energizing their sub. It was a real mess for a while. Interop would have helped a lot with coordination to get people back on. Our Co-op is still using conventional freqs yet and I assume most of their guys talk amongst themselves on their phones as I don't hear them much anymore.

Insulator

Say Frank-this may not be the proper location to ask this, but the way you described the incident with the 34.5kv line makes me think that you were in line work as l was.

frankdrebbin

Say Frank-this may not be the proper location to ask this, but the way you described the incident with the 34.5kv line makes me think that you were in line work as l was.
You are correct I am a journeyman lineman. I work for a muni with the local Co-op serving outside the area and Ameren investor-owned. We also can generate with gas turbines if called upon. I have about 6 more years then I will retire. We are all jumbled up on different days right now with this corona crap going on.

ducksoup65

Sorry for delay, had to get back to home base.

5226 PPI OPERATIONS
5227 PPI LINE CREW
5228 PPI ENGINEERING
5229 PPI STORM

Jordo2114

As of right now I can tell you PPI and Ameren have no Interop on SC21. All communications are still done via phone.

Status
Not open for further replies.