Praise for the Diamond D130J Antenna

Airdorn

Hello all!

I've been a casual scanning enthusiast for many years. I've mostly just experimented with homemade antennas, and random antennas I run across at work, etc. No rhyme or reason really.

Well, I decided to just go ahead and get something professional to see what that's all about.

So I stuck a Diamond discone up in the air and MAN, what an awesome piece of hardware! At first I thought some new radio systems appeared in the area, but no... existing ones are just coming in loud and clear. I'm in Cordova, TN which is a northern satellite of Memphis. Now I can often pick up (loud and clear) MOSWIN, the Missiouri statewide system used by public safety, et al.. the closest MOSWIN site to me is 73 miles away in the boot heel of Missouri!

Closer to home and higher up in the spectrum, I can now clearly hear lower power sites in downtown Memphis, which is about 20 miles away, and higher powered sites down on Presidents Island (an industrial park on the Mississippi River). This thing works so well I often have to turn my gain WAY DOWN because of tower sites just a few miles down the road.

This Diamond discone is constructed very well and looks great on my hodgepodge antenna farm on the roof of my suburban house!

I'm very pleased with this thing. It's constructed out of strong metal, not the fragile aluminum construction of that old Scantenna I had a few years back. That thing worked pretty well but it didn't last long at all.

Anyway, just giving a bit of praise for this antenna. Hopefully others will find this helpful! Any ideas on my next foray into antennas would be appreciated. I can probably sneak 1 or 2 more in before the HOA sends me a nasty letter!

Ubbe

This thing works so well I often have to turn my gain WAY DOWN because of tower sites just a few miles down the road.
What kind of receiver and gain control do you have?

Keep in mind that overload issues comes from the sum of all signals, so it might help with a cheap FM broadcast filter and some cellular filters, if those are available and possible to use.

/Ubbe