Prcguy's Paraflector rebuild

Status
Not open for further replies.

prcguy

Premium Subscriber
I was given a Kathrein/Scala UHF Paraflector antenna after a TV station rebuild I worked on and the antenna was tuned to around 524MHz. I wanted to modify the feed to work within the 70cm amateur band until I noticed it was a custom 75 ohm feed and not 50 ohms. Rats! These antennas are about the best you can get for UHF with 15.5dBd gain across 20MHz or more frequency range and they are made for most frequencies from 450MHz through 960MHz at a cost of $1500 on up. These are not corner reflector types but rather a thin slice of a parabola.

Anyway, I rummaged around my garage and found a chunk of aluminum pipe the same OD and length as the original feed and carefully made an entire new dipole with reflector with all connections inside the pipe similar to the original. I had never made a dipole feed with all the guts inside a small diameter pipe before and this created some technical challenges. I settled on using 5/16" diameter elements for the driven elements with the coax soldered to copper nuts as the interface to the elements which I threaded.

I used RG-214 silver plated double shielded coax to connect the dipole and provide a pigtal out the back of the antenna. RG-214 will provide a good mechanical connection to the dipole elements with a lot of surface area to take mechanical stress. I radiused the copper nuts to mate with the inside of the feed support pipe. The grounded side of the dipole would simply connect to the braid of the coax right at the element/ pipe junction but the hot side of the dipole will have to be insulated. I used a 5/16 nylon shoulder washer where the hot element goes through the pipe and a large nylon flat washer to insulate the copper nut inside the pipe connected to the coax hot.

When soldering the copper nuts to the coax I used some copper sheet to mate the coax braid to the nut and the coax center conductor solders direct to the other copper nut. Before soldering, I had screwed both nuts onto a 5/16 bolt to space them the same as the pipe ID so the dipole feedpoint could be slid up into the pipe and keep its shape. This worked out great and you can see in one of the pictures how the dipole hot side nut sits perfectly centered below the hole in the support pipe with the white nylon insulator in just the right spot. All copper/aluminum interfaces got a thin coating of Burndy Penetrox to reduce dissimilar metal interaction. I also took apart two snap on ferrites and placed them near the feedpoint to help decouple the feedline from the driven elements. These ferrites barely fit inside the support pipe and three would have been nice but I only had two.

Feed element lengths and spacing were determined by calculating up the size of the original feed made for roughly 524Mhz. The new feed tuned up very well in the 440-450MHz range and has a useable match up to about 465MHz. The reflector is huge at about 6ft wide and 3ft tall and its gold anodizing looks good against the black paint job I gave the new feed. Now what to do with this beast????

Here are some pictures of the feed details, the completed antenna and what the original 524MHz feed looked like.

New feed close up.JPG

New feed ferrite.JPG

New feed complete.JPG

Driven element hole.JPG

Completed feed.JPG

Complete antenna.JPG

Original feed.JPG

vagrant

ker-muhj-uhn
Premium Subscriber
No problem with 59 reports when you work the repeater in your garage. With that much gain, see how well you can bounce some RF off of things like a water tower, side of a mountain, etc. 100 watts and you might be able to heat up some hot dogs and buns. The black and gold do look good.

Last edited:

prcguy

Premium Subscriber
100 watts? I have the old UHF TV transmitter from the job sitting in my garage and it will do 1kW linear service all day long. Saturated probably much more. I've tested similar PA modules to what's in this transmitter and they go down to 440MHz just fine. 1kW into this antenna would be 35,481 watts ERP with no feedline loss. Hmm, maybe this antenna needs a high power test.

No problem with 59 reports when you work the repeater in your garage. With that much gain, see how well you can bounce some RF off of things like a water tower, side of a mountain, etc. 100 watts and you might be able to heat up some hot dogs and buns. The black and gold do look good.

RFI-EMI-GUY

You could set up on a beacon frequency and point to some far off land. Try moon-bounce. Or try DX with kids on FRS in the next state!

vagrant

ker-muhj-uhn
Premium Subscriber
That would be interesting to do some high power testing. If you swing it towards Hawaii, you may catch nearby small watercraft on fire. I know what 5 watts and elevation can do distance wise, but 35k ERP is a nice shove. Mount Pinos to Chico may be too far to test at 370 miles with the earth in the way. Still, transmit from Mt. Pinos on FRS and you can play Santa Claus and tell the kids you know if they're naughty or nice.

Here are two plots. One at 100W and another at 1000W using 17.6 dBi via Radio Mobile Online. It's omni, so just pick a direction. It's limited to 300km (180+ miles). I have a feeling that real world testing would exceed this plot.
Screen Shot 2020-11-30 at 11.00.28 PM.png Screen Shot 2020-11-30 at 10.03.00 PM.png

bharvey2

I'll bet you could reach Beale AFB and check in with their Pave PAWS from your neck of the woods with that.

wa8pyr

Technischer Guru
Staff member
Lead Database Admin
Feed element lengths and spacing were determined by calculating up the size of the original feed made for roughly 524Mhz. The new feed tuned up very well in the 440-450MHz range and has a useable match up to about 465MHz. The reflector is huge at about 6ft wide and 3ft tall and its gold anodizing looks good against the black paint job I gave the new feed. Now what to do with this beast????

Microwave the local mouse population? That is indeed a beast.

Very nice build, though. Personally I'd use it for UHF mountain-topping.

vagrant

ker-muhj-uhn
Premium Subscriber
What is nice about this antenna is the bandwidth it offers along with the gain. That definitely makes it special. I think we need to see that on top of the pneumatic mast in the back of the truck. It would win the parade float prize over Blanton's double discone.

As to power and gain, there's an op in my area that has four 70cm 20 dBi antennas with 1k watts ready to go, plus other antennas on 2m, 6m, etc. He really cracks that system to life during the ARRL VHF contest. Still, his antennas have about 5 MHz of bandwidth versus 20. There's a tradeoff somewhere along the way. He is in DM07. Can you guess who he is? (No, it is not me)

There are a few other operators near me that work EME with plenty of power as well. A local antenna manufacturer is handy for that.

mmckenna

I ♥ Ø
I've got to repaint my facia around the house, could you just sort of aim that north and remove the old paint for me?

TX side is interesting, but would be kind of cool to take up to a high peak and just see what you can hear. Above LA, I can imagine the FRS band would appear to be well packed with that antenna sucking it all in.

Status
Not open for further replies.