Pre-amps

Status
Not open for further replies.

moze229

Hello all.

I'm in central NC in a semi-rural area. I'm currently monitoring a P25 Phase 1 system, and I have access to 3 towers. 1 came in really clear, but the other two ALMOST came in, but not quite. I kept raising the antenna higher and higher (an Ebay bought 16dB yagi 800Mhz) but still couldn't pull it off. Today I went and purchased this.

https://www.radioshack.com/products/radioshack-antenna-mounted-high-gain-signal-amplifier

Now I'm picking up all three towers beyond clear. This is a HDTV pre-amp, so I didn't expect the world from it. But my local RS had these for 75% off (store closing), so I figured what the hey. I now have my yagi literally 2 ft. off the ground right next to my rg-6 input into the house and I'm still pulling a 99% signal strength from 3 towers. I'm also pulling in VHF super strong! Exciting.

Just wanted to share the pre-amp success. It's not for all setups, especially those in urban areas who already have strong signals or have concentrated radio traffic. But for me, this was the solution that I was looking for. No tall towers. No climbing through the attic. No more masts hanging illegally on my house (my HOA forbids it.) But if you find yourself if a similar situation, consider this per-amp from RS. It works! (I'm going to go buy another tomorrow for my HDTV antenna.) It has a gain control and signal boost on/off switch. I currently have mine set at half gain and boost on. Perfect setup for me!

rbm

I've been using pre-amps for more than 40 years and wouldn't be without them.
With the caveat that you need to be very, very careful if you have any strong RF signals in your area.

I currently have 7 antennas with pre-amps on 6 of them. In addition to an X-Wing antenna with another pre-amp on it for SatCom stuff.

If there's any RF in the air around here at all, I can receive it. ;)

In my past working career I was deeply involved in receiving very weak signals from non-earth based systems.

I saw first hand how much difference they could make if properly used.
IF you don't just try for MAXIMUM gain, which could cause problems.

Rich

A few of my spare pre-amps:

Last edited:

moze229

I've been using pre-amps for more than 40 years and wouldn't be without them.
With the caveat that you need to be very, very careful if you have any strong RF signals in your area.

I currently have 7 antennas with pre-amps on 6 of them. In addition to an X-Wing antenna with another pre-amp on it for SatCom stuff.

If there's any RF in the air around here at all, I can receive it. ;)

In my past working career I was deeply involved in receiving very weak signals from non-earth based systems.

I saw first hand how much difference they could make if properly used.
IF you don't just try for MAXIMUM gain, which could cause problems.

Rich

A few of my spare pre-amps:

Nice. LOL I'm sure there's much that you could teach me on things, but I'm just elated at the moment that I'm able to pick up what I do. My goal was 3 towers, and I got that with this piece of equipment. I see many down-talking pre-amps on here. Much of it is justified (John in Chicago wants to pull in towers from 50 miles away, while already receiving an overload of radio) but in my situation, it's the perfect solution. Happy scanning!!!!!!

Status
Not open for further replies.