Pre-Build Shack Shots.. Looking for help & opinions!

Status
Not open for further replies.

paramedszaf

Everyone here has some great pics of their equipment, and great equipment in general. Here is pics of what I have so far. I am looking for tips and suggestions to get this up to par with everyone else. Here is a run down of what I have in service as well as at my disposal:

1 – HP a6300f Desktop computer (underneath corner of counter)
2 – Dell 20” Ultraview monitors (utilizing Ultramon software)
1 – Microsoft wireless keyboard and mouse.
1- Radio Shack Pro-2051 desktop scanner (up for sale if anyone interested)
1 – Uniden BCT-7
1 – Radio Shack Pro-2018 Desktop Scanner
1 – Uniden SC150C Scanner
1 – Motorola HT-1250 VHF Portable
1 – Motorola HT-1550 VHF Portable
1 – Dell m1210 XPS Laptop

The above is what I have in service. The following I have at my disposal:

2 - Motorola M-1225 VHF mobile radios
1 - 13.7 VAC power supply
1 - Radio Termination Panel for CDM series radios (need to find the adapter for the accessory port on radio)
3 - Remote radio consoles (see pic)
1 – eMachine desktop computer (will get specs) w/ 15” LCD monitor, wireless keyboard/mouse, speakers and wireless internet capable.
1 – Motorola speaker (accessory port connection)

I KNOW I need to complete the following:

- Run Cat 5e from basement to 2nd floor where the war room is to get off the wireless. I think there is a benefit to this unless someone can tell me otherwise.
- Run telephone line from basement to 2nd floor
- Find and find adequate antenna(s) depending on advise YOU guys/gals give me.
- Run antenna coax (or equivalent)
- Find multiplexer that I can afford.
- Figure out where/how to mount everything OR come up with a console I can build that looks descent but yet I have some desk space left.
-

Debating on the following:

- Purchase dedicated antenna for the mobile radios and have then set up to transmit if necessary.
- Utilizing the older eMachine computer for an online scanner for my area
- Making sure my power availability in that room is adequate
- Upgrading scanners
- Getting high power (100w or >) radios for the room.

Looking for tips/hints/suggestions here folks.. Let me have it! Thanks for your help in advance…

Attachments

• DSC01554.JPG
    DSC01554.JPG
    58.8 KB · Views: 3,888
  • DSC01555.JPG
    DSC01555.JPG
    149.1 KB · Views: 3,816
  • DSC01556.JPG
    DSC01556.JPG
    127.3 KB · Views: 3,703
  • DSC01557.JPG
    DSC01557.JPG
    153.6 KB · Views: 3,717
  • DSC01558.JPG
    DSC01558.JPG
    143.6 KB · Views: 4,151

N1SQB

Premium Subscriber
Nice Starting Point!

I've been contemplating using counters like that for my set up. How much weight can they handle? Thats my biggest concern. Ham gear alone is very heavy not to mention 4-6 scanners and their accessories.

Manny

paramedszaf

I've been contemplating using counters like that for my set up. How much weight can they handle? Thats my biggest concern. Ham gear alone is very heavy not to mention 4-6 scanners and their accessories.

Manny

I used 150lb capacity angle brackets and 9/16" lag bolts right into the stud. True it's not a do it yourself projecte at that point, an extra set of hands is invaluable. The I took a hole saw (or Roto-Zip) and punched a hole to run wires from the top down to the floor.

The power strip across the back splash of the right side of the desk I purchased at Lowes for less than $50.00.

Have to come up with shelving ideas next...

Attachments

• DSC01561.jpg
    DSC01561.jpg
    46.1 KB · Views: 3,325
  • DSC01562.jpg
    DSC01562.jpg
    22.1 KB · Views: 3,229
  • DSC01563.jpg
    DSC01563.jpg
    35.1 KB · Views: 3,241
  • DSC01564.jpg
    DSC01564.jpg
    31.2 KB · Views: 3,314

N1SQB

Premium Subscriber
Thanks for the pics of the lower install! Looks great! Just for giggles ( and additional support) You can still add legs at both ends of the thing I suppose! Cant wait to see the shelf idea!

Manny

af5rn

I can't tell for sure what those countertops are made of. Is that the resin based faux marble stuff, like in bathrooms, or is it Formica? I like the idea!

bezking

paramedszaf said:
Run Cat 5e from basement to 2nd floor where the war room is to get off the wireless. I think there is a benefit to this unless someone can tell me otherwise.

Yes, there is a benefit. With a near-perfect WiFi Connection, you can get about a 54Mbps connection, not to mention the RF havoc some (but not all) wifi routers\APs generate. With Cat5e, you will get a 100Mbps connection which will certainly come in handy for things like streaming, etc.

Last edited:

hoser147

Your setup really makes me want to move into the spare room I got now, but then I would have to give up my view of the lake (aint happening). Your off to a great start, and there are tons of great idea's in the Shack photos forum here as you stated. Do it on paper a bunch of times, its alot easier, or if your good with some photo software you could do it that way. Run extra wiring, and leave room if you run conduit fro future use, you can color code or number the wires. I saw a picture on another website where the person took wire baskets similar to the letter baskets and made a place under the counter to hold power strips and wall warts and the extra wiring. Kept it neat accessable and outasight. Dont forget to build it for your ears as well as your eye's. Ive got speakers to the left and right of me and when its something more of a priority it comes thru in stereo. The most important part is Kick back with that beerteena and think about how you want it to be and have fun...........Good Scannin Hoser

Last edited:

paramedszaf

I can't tell for sure what those countertops are made of. Is that the resin based faux marble stuff, like in bathrooms, or is it Formica? I like the idea!

It's formica I think, that laminant stuff you get from Home Depot/Lowes.. There is a place around here called Miller's that gets all the dented/dinged and mis-cuts and sells it for like half price. The 2 sections, 4 brackets and everything I did for around $150.00-$175.00 out the door and mounted.

paramedszaf

Your setup really makes me want to move into the spare room I got now, but then I would have to give up my view of the lake (aint happening). Your off to a great start, and there are tons of great idea's in the Shack photos forum here as you stated. Do it on paper a bunch of times, its alot easier, or if your good with some photo software you could do it that way. Run extra wiring, and leave room if you run conduit fro future use, you can color code or number the wires. I saw a picture on another website where the person took wire baskets similar to the letter baskets and made a place under the counter to hold power strips and wall warts and the extra wiring. Kept it neat accessable and outasight. Dont forget to build it for your ears as well as your eye's. Ive got speakers to the left and right of me and when its something more of a priority it comes thru in stereo. The most important part is Kick back with that beerteena and think about how you want it to be and have fun...........Good Scannin Hoser

I appreciate the kind words and feedback... My problem is unless I touch it with my hands and see it in person drawings to scale aren't worth s*** to me. I dunno even in school I was a de de de like that. A guy from 1RWN had a KILLER console he built himself that I recently got my hands on some pics of it. Now his was like the entire legnth on my one wall (nope don't need that much) need to keep some workspace for other projects like WORK and HOMEWORK lol. If I can find the pic I will show you kind what I want to do on a smaller scale. I mean this guy even had his flat pannels encased in the console... I think my corner location uses up some otherwise "dead space" unless the flat panels don't require that much bracing/shoring. Slow and steady wins the race!

Attachments

• index.jpg
    index.jpg
    71.1 KB · Views: 3,288
Last edited:

paramedszaf

Everyone here has some great pics of their equipment, and great equipment in general. Here is pics of what I have so far. I am looking for tips and suggestions to get this up to par with everyone else. Here is a run down of what I have in service as well as at my disposal:

1 – HP a6300f Desktop computer (underneath corner of counter)
2 – Dell 20” Ultraview monitors (utilizing Ultramon software)
1 – Microsoft wireless keyboard and mouse.
1- Radio Shack Pro-2051 desktop scanner (up for sale if anyone interested)
1 – Uniden BCT-7
1 – Radio Shack Pro-2018 Desktop Scanner
1 – Uniden SC150C Scanner
1 – Motorola HT-1250 VHF Portable
1 – Motorola HT-1550 VHF Portable
1 – Dell m1210 XPS Laptop

The above is what I have in service. The following I have at my disposal:

2 - Motorola M-1225 VHF mobile radios
1 - 13.7 VAC power supply
1 - Radio Termination Panel for CDM series radios (need to find the adapter for the accessory port on radio)
3 - Remote radio consoles (see pic)
1 – eMachine desktop computer (will get specs) w/ 15” LCD monitor, wireless keyboard/mouse, speakers and wireless internet capable.
1 – Motorola speaker (accessory port connection)

I KNOW I need to complete the following:

- Run Cat 5e from basement to 2nd floor where the war room is to get off the wireless. I think there is a benefit to this unless someone can tell me otherwise.
- Run telephone line from basement to 2nd floor
- Find and find adequate antenna(s) depending on advise YOU guys/gals give me.
- Run antenna coax (or equivalent)
- Find multiplexer that I can afford.
- Figure out where/how to mount everything OR come up with a console I can build that looks descent but yet I have some desk space left.
-

Debating on the following:

- Purchase dedicated antenna for the mobile radios and have then set up to transmit if necessary.
- Utilizing the older eMachine computer for an online scanner for my area
- Making sure my power availability in that room is adequate
- Upgrading scanners
- Getting high power (100w or >) radios for the room.

Looking for tips/hints/suggestions here folks.. Let me have it! Thanks for your help in advance…

UPDATE ON THE EQUIPMENT CACHE:

Pro-2051 scanner SOLD!

1 - 110watt TK-790(H) added to the fleet. This unit may be installed in my vehicle and a CDM-1550 removed and placed in the war room. If anyone had background with this radio drop me a line I have a few questions.. Thanks..

I am shopping for scanners now and antennas. Working on finding good location for antennas at the house..

QUESTION: Can multiple radios/scanners use one antenna? Can one radio/scanner use multiple antennas?

Last edited:

hoser147

QUESTION: Can multiple radios/scanners use one antenna? Can one radio/scanner use multiple antennas? Yes to the first question, You can use a splitter or a drop amp or a multicoupler. 2 not really it would overload and cause a mismatch.............Hoser

Status
Not open for further replies.