• To anyone looking to acquire commercial radio programming software:

Please do not make requests for copies of radio programming software which is sold (or was sold) by the manufacturer for any monetary value. All requests will be deleted and a forum infraction issued. Making a request such as this is attempting to engage in software piracy and this forum cannot be involved or associated with this activity. The same goes for any private transaction via Private Message. Even if you attempt to engage in this activity in PM's we will still enforce the forum rules. Your PM's are not private and the administration has the right to read them if there's a hint to criminal activity.

If you are having trouble legally obtaining software please state so. We do not want any hurt feelings when your vague post is mistaken for a free request. It is YOUR responsibility to properly word your request.

To obtain Motorola software see the Sticky in the Motorola forum.

The various other vendors often permit their dealers to sell the software online (i.e., Kenwood). Please use Google or some other search engine to find a dealer that sells the software. Typically each series or individual radio requires its own software package. Often the Kenwood software is less than $100 so don't be a cheapskate; just purchase it.

For M/A Com/Harris/GE, etc: there are two software packages that program all current and past radios. One package is for conventional programming and the other for trunked programming. The trunked package is in upwards of $2,500. The conventional package is more reasonable though is still several hundred dollars. The benefit is you do not need multiple versions for each radio (unlike Motorola).

This is a large and very visible forum. We cannot jeopardize the ability to provide the RadioReference services by allowing this activity to occur. Please respect this.

Pre-HT days, the Motorola “lunch pail” radio

Status
Not open for further replies.

mancow

Database Admin
They made a saber version too. DEA around here still has some. The saber slides into it with no battery attached and it powers the radio with external audio connections and antenna port. I've always wanted one but never have seen one for sale anywhere.

n5ims

I believe that the first was called "The Block" and the second "The Brick". This was due to "The Block" being about as heavy as a cement block (and nearly as large) while "The Brick" was about the size, shape, and weight of a common brick.

kb4mdz

First was the PT300. Based on the contemporary HT220; same basic boards, but with controls mounted off the board and on the case, and a bigger RF (and also audio) PA

There was later a PT400 (never saw one in person), and then the PT500, based on the MT500 portable, Again, same boards, just mounted inside that 'lunch-pail', and a bigger RF PA.

There was also a PX300; based on the MX-300 series.

The big bottom section on the bottom was the batterypack/power supply/battery charger.

The PT300 radios were (oddly, in my mind) built with 'positive ground'; woe to the technician that didn't know this to begin with, or forget it. He learned the hard way. Just don't ask me how I know.

Beside the handset you see in the article, there was also a regular hand microphone.

I know the radios were made in VHF-Low, and High. Never saw one, or even reference to one in UHF.

More info on Repeater Builder site:

http://www.repeater-builder.com/rbtip/mojoindex.html, & go almost to the bottom of the page.

Last edited:

joekansas

Those style of radios were issued to train crews on the MKT railroad many moons ago. I got one from an old railroader when I was younger~circa 1975. They had phased them out long ago and he kept one. It looked like the one on the right in the photo of the pair of "lunchbox" radios.

Last edited:

BigLebowski

Premium Subscriber
They made a saber version too. DEA around here still has some. The saber slides into it with no battery attached and it powers the radio with external audio connections and antenna port. I've always wanted one but never have seen one for sale anywhere.

The ever-elusive Saber-X!

There are many times when you just need a lunchbox radio, whether for a portable base or to put in a car with no radio. I have two of these and boy do they get a workout!

Status
Not open for further replies.