• LOTW

Votes: 9 31.0%
  • Other

Votes: 1 3.4%

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.

kellykeeton

I prefer qso post cards.. It's part of the glamor of the hobby.. However it's obviously harder.. So ARRL's LOTW program is my second preferred.. As it's not prone to false reporting like eQSL or QRZ or HRDLog are. The latter I see you log a qso for me so if I didn't actually qso I can just say I did for credit.

I really like LOTW for award submission and wish other awards would jump into that as options.. I can easily and quickly work for a triple play etc with out the pain and hassle of sorting paper cards..

N0IU

Add another vote for LoTW for pretty much the same reason as Kelly. I have multiple DXCC and WAS awards all using LoTW exclusively.

KG5ODW

eQSL because it is fast, free, and uncomplicated. Since I have no interest in contesting I don't need LoTW.

PrimeNumber

Direct, just because I'm retro that way. I like the physical cards, and don't think I'll ever be interested in contesting so those hassles aren't a consideration.

KC0KM

I like the card as well, although I do not have a lot of contacts (I have a whole pile of cards though). I do not get on HF too much, but I am trying. BTW, is possible that we have another guy named Kelly here, 'cuse I am a Kelly too.

KR4BD

I confirmed about 280 Entities with "old fashioned" QSL cards, so for me, that's been my main method of confirming QSO's for nearly 40 years. For several years, I have also used EQSL to confirm QSO's, but ONLY to those who want EQSL's from me. I don't initiate EQSL's as they don't count for DXCC or VUCC credit, both of which are important to me.

Recently, after several unsuccessful attempts of trying to get LOTW set up, I now have that going. As a result, I now upload ALL contacts there. LOTW is a real pain to set up, especially if you (ME !) are not a computer geek. Even after 39 years of hamming, I needed an "Elmer" to help me set up LOTW. Thankfully, I have a friend who just retired from a career at IBM who patiently worked with me to get it going... I agree, it will facilitate QSLing and save postage fees but I will miss many of the neat cards going forward. Unfortunately, there are many ops who will NEVER use LOTW, so it has to been looked at as just another tool in the QSLing drawer along with the "ancient" buro system...

N0IU

Since I have no interest in contesting I don't need LoTW.

I think you may be misinformed about LoTW and what it is used for. It has nothing specifically to do with contesting although a lot of contesters use it. LoTW is a way to confirm contacts that will qualify you for ARRL operating awards.

hcpholder

Premium Subscriber
Wow! Being new to HF really makes some of these things confusing. I've used QRZ, eQSL and LoTW in my short few months in HF. I've asked around the club what everyone else thought and as with anything else got numerous answers. Really don't know whether to ask any more or not, so confusing.

I only submitted my contacts to eQSL to those who stated they respond to those, the same with the LoTW contacts. I was then informed "just upload all contacts to both. If someone decides to join either, your information will be there". Since I really would like the WAS from ARRL, I figured I needed to use LoTW for this. And now I use Ham Radio Deluxe (HRD) to upload all my contacts with a click of a button, which is a lot better. Again, being new to this, I haven't "downloaded" from either program back into HRD yet.

I started out with QRZ only, since i used it to check contacts and you could add them right in. Uploading and downloading ADIF files seems to get a little confusing, even with QRZ. So, I really don't know which, if any I like the best. I have received a couple "REAL" QSL cards and it was a great feeling. However, postage is getting ridiculous these days.

Well, no definitive answer to the original question, but at least I've been able to air out some of the frustration associated with all of it. 73's WJ4HCP (new vanity call).

Skypilot007

Premium Subscriber
I like the traditional direct method. It has been working for me. I do accept EQSL but prefer direct.

Status
Not open for further replies.