President Bush coming to Richmond?

Status
Not open for further replies.

trainman111

Premium Subscriber
I read on the web that this weekend President Bush will be visiting Richmond in support of George Allen's campaign this week. Can anyone confirm or deny this? If this can be confirmed, does anyone know a good list of frequencies (un-encrypted) to listen to. I know that VSP should be booming along with Richmond PD. What are some other good freqs that would have some comms. concerning the visit? It would be nice to get a hold of some AF1 frequencies that would be used as well.

Thanks!
Nick

RagnarD

Premium Subscriber
In a valley that only a few know where it is
Hi Nick,

Might be a good time to learn about some "new" STARS talkgroups.

I imagine if you start listening to the Secret Service frequencies you may hear some activity before President Bush arrives.

Keep us updated.

de
chris
kq4z

DavidNVA

Hey Nick,

I read on the web that this weekend President Bush will be visiting Richmond in support of George Allen's campaign this week. Can anyone confirm or deny this?

He will be at the Science Museum of Virginia in Richmond on Thursday according to this article - http://washingtontimes.com/metro/20061015-112532-9083r.htm

trainman111 said:
It would be nice to get a hold of some AF1 frequencies that would be used as well.

I don't think he would be taking up the 747 for such a short trip, I'd imagine Marine One would be used. They would probably be working with Potomac Approach: 126.4(031-170) 126.8(321-030) 134.7(171-320) 118.2 and Departure: 126.4(031-170) 126.8(321-030) 134.7(171-320) and maybe Richmond Tower - 121.1, 257.8. In addition, check out some of the of the great information found in this pdf - http://henney.com/chm/0105/CHM0105.pdf regarding Secret Service and other notable agencies along with the USMC Exec Flight Squadron. While I'm sure most of the 'good' stuff will be encrypted you may just get lucky and hear something in the clear.

These should be helpful as well - http://wiki.radioreference.com/index.php/Delmarva_Milcom_Monitoring

Hope this helps!

-David

Last edited:

gcgrotz

I suspect you're right David, when Clinton came to C'ville in 2000 he came on Marine One. You will hear them on approach freqs although he never talked to tower here since they didn't land at the airport. You will also hear the Nighthawks overhead. You might want to check the Maryland thread for the MilAir sticky. Somewhere there is a link to the MD Milair site where TinEar has a ton of freqs for things like NORAD and the CAP flights which should also be active. Also Potomac approach freqs for Andrews might provide some sigs from the aircraft you could hear.

Get busy programming! You only have 2 days!

trainman111

Premium Subscriber
I think this is one of the first times that I already have most of the frequencies with the "good stuff" on them. When Marine One talks to ATC will they identify themselves as Marine One?

gcgrotz

trainman111 said:
I think this is one of the first times that I already have most of the frequencies with the "good stuff" on them. When Marine One talks to ATC will they identify themselves as Marine One?

Yes they will. I have a tape of them and various others talking to approach control from 2000. They landed directly at Patricia Kluge's farm for a fundraiser during the campaign.

I once heard Air Force2 on 5616 KHz checking in with Gander radio.

When Bush went to Bedford for the WW2 memorial he flew to Roanoke with Air Force 1 ID but it wasn't the 747. Whatever plane he is on (assuming it is AF) would be ID'd as AF1. When he flew that fighter to the carrier deck it was ID'd as Navy 1.

Good luck with the traffic jams on I64 if they land at RIC.

trainman111

Premium Subscriber
I would imagine that they would be landing at RIC. I can't seem the landing at Chesterfield County so RIC is really the only CLOSE place left... I'm going to try and avoid 64.

gcgrotz

See the NOTAMS page at FAA.gov, he will be in WilkesBarre, PA area before coming to Richmond. Their TFR ends at 4:00pm and Richmond's begins at 4:00pm going until 7:30. Should put them in hearing range since they will probably fly around Dulles airspace. I guess that means a chowdown with Allen?

trainman111

Premium Subscriber
Yea he's supposed to be "helping" Allen with his campaign. So is there an approx. time that he will be coming in?

trainman111

Premium Subscriber
As of this moment, VSP is dispatching MANY units to shutdown the route from the KRIC to the I-64/I-95 interchange. The President has landed.

n4jri

Premium Subscriber
Very quiet visit

I live two blocks from the Science Museum, but only heard brief encrypted on 165.375 this morning. (had to be at work during the actual visit)

It appears that everything at the Science Museum is on FRS, and even that was quiet today.

73/Allen (N4JRI)

dren

Feed Provider
I didn't try to listen to the Secret Service, but all of our comms were handled on channel 1. Nothing interesting was transmitted through us. We just did some roll call and status verification. I was blocking a crossover on I-64 near the Mechanicsville Turnpike. The President landed around 4:30 - 4:45 and left around 6:00. It was pretty cool to see the motorcade rolling by.

gcgrotz

I heard a lot of traffic on TRACON and some Langley fighters. Never heard AF1 or Marine1. Heard RIC (Potomac) approach putting planes in hold for a while. I'll report some freqs later, gotta run right now.

trainman111

Premium Subscriber
I heard the Langley fighters (a couple times only) and Potomac TRACON (quite a bit) also. I didn't hear much more than that...

fmon

Silent Key Jan. 14, 2012
dren said:
I didn't try to listen to the Secret Service, but all of our comms were handled on channel 1. Nothing interesting was transmitted through us. We just did some roll call and status verification. I was blocking a crossover on I-64 near the Mechanicsville Turnpike. The President landed around 4:30 - 4:45 and left around 6:00. It was pretty cool to see the motorcade rolling by.
Thanks, ya cleared that up for me.

I was returning from a Kansas trip yesterday and decided to run the Blue Ridge from Sherando Lake (had lunch) entry to US-60 exit. Great fall colors. Then SR 26 to Appomattox.

Anyway, heard the Cumberland, Leigh Mt, Richmond, Petersburg and Williamsburg towers in route (STARS system). Lot of roll calls with several *Post* and wondered what the heck was happening. Leigh Mt was coming in great as far as Appomattox and also heard Cumberland on the west side of Blue Ridge in the Sherando Lake valley.

dren

Feed Provider
Some days are better than others for reception. They tower in Madison passed all op tests but they don't have the licenses for the frequencies so it's not up and running right now. That's what I was told. I'd guess they're just awaiting on approval from the FCC. Hopefully it will improve reception on the west end. We really need it out here.

gcgrotz

Hi dren:

would that be fork mtn? I hope so since it booms in here in c'ville. I can hit the ham repeater there on UHF with 5w no problem.

Thanks

dren

Feed Provider
Yes that would be Fork Mountain. I watch my mobile every day I work (and some days off) to see what antenna or repeater I'm hitting. On a map I recently saw, there was a repeater in Gordonsville for the Fork Mountain tower. I assume that they're going to go live together. I hope it goes live on a day off so I can go to Gordonsville and try to get all the frequency info with PRO96COM. I'll definitely let you all know here when it goes live. One of the admins is supposed to let me know when it goes live. She's very busy so I'm certainly not at the top of her list but hopefully I'll get a heads up.

Status
Not open for further replies.