• To anyone looking to acquire commercial radio programming software:

Please do not make requests for copies of radio programming software which is sold (or was sold) by the manufacturer for any monetary value. All requests will be deleted and a forum infraction issued. Making a request such as this is attempting to engage in software piracy and this forum cannot be involved or associated with this activity. The same goes for any private transaction via Private Message. Even if you attempt to engage in this activity in PM's we will still enforce the forum rules. Your PM's are not private and the administration has the right to read them if there's a hint to criminal activity.

If you are having trouble legally obtaining software please state so. We do not want any hurt feelings when your vague post is mistaken for a free request. It is YOUR responsibility to properly word your request.

To obtain Motorola software see the Sticky in the Motorola forum.

The various other vendors often permit their dealers to sell the software online (i.e., Kenwood). Please use Google or some other search engine to find a dealer that sells the software. Typically each series or individual radio requires its own software package. Often the Kenwood software is less than $100 so don't be a cheapskate; just purchase it.

For M/A Com/Harris/GE, etc: there are two software packages that program all current and past radios. One package is for conventional programming and the other for trunked programming. The trunked package is in upwards of $2,500. The conventional package is more reasonable though is still several hundred dollars. The benefit is you do not need multiple versions for each radio (unlike Motorola).

This is a large and very visible forum. We cannot jeopardize the ability to provide the RadioReference services by allowing this activity to occur. Please respect this.

PRESIDENT C.B.'s with AM and FM are available in 5 models now.

dave3825

Premium Subscriber
And looks like fm can be added to some other older models.

iMONITOR

Silent Key
Premium Subscriber
And looks like fm can be added to some other older models.

Apparently none of them have CTCSS/DCS. (n)
I saw that. They do have it on their radios sold in Canada so probably just a matter of time and palm greasing!

prcguy

2IR473

Premium Subscriber
Since President has offered most of these radios to the European market for the past several years, it is understandable why they don’t have CTCSS capability. To add such a feature would require a newly designed board.

It is my guess that these U.S. models with FM are merely firmware-locked versions of the existing EU models, as the EU models allow for expanded frequency coverage to include the channel allocations of several countries, including the FM splinter frequencies of the UK band.

The Harrison radio is a newly designed radio, and includes the CTCSS and noise reduction circuit that many of the new Anytone radios are offering. Since Anytone is an OEM, I might guess that President contracted Anytone to build the board for the Harrison.

I am repeating myself from the other thread about the Harrison, but I am impressed with the Radioddity CS-47/Anytone Graces mini CB AM/FM radio, as it does have CTCSS and NRC, in a small package. It does lack some features of the President models, however it does offer some features that the President radios do not. These radios sell for around $100.

Mike_G_D

Don't forget, FM mode will be a battery hog on a hand held and more so than AM.
Not necessarily, FM does not need a linear amplifier compared to AM. Class C amps can work fine for constant envelope modulation methods like FM. Biased, correctly, in Class C "mode" that will be far more efficient than a linear version like Class A or a modern variant that trades off just enough linearity to increase efficiency. The question is, though, how it is done in the radio - if they cut costs and just run one final amp in Class A (or close variant) mode for both modulations that might not be too good but if they have either two separate amps biased one for AM/SSB and the other for FM OR they have one amp that has some method to change the bias between the two than using FM, in theory, should be more efficient and not drain the power as much as full swing AM would.

prcguy

Not necessarily, FM does not need a linear amplifier compared to AM. Class C amps can work fine for constant envelope modulation methods like FM. Biased, correctly, in Class C "mode" that will be far more efficient than a linear version like Class A or a modern variant that trades off just enough linearity to increase efficiency. The question is, though, how it is done in the radio - if they cut costs and just run one final amp in Class A (or close variant) mode for both modulations that might not be too good but if they have either two separate amps biased one for AM/SSB and the other for FM OR they have one amp that has some method to change the bias between the two than using FM, in theory, should be more efficient and not drain the power as much as full swing AM would.
In my experience AM CB PAs are biased into a fairly linear region and a CB mfr would not redesign or re-bias the PA for class C as there would be no reason to. AM and FM could both produce 4 watt carrier with AM being able to reach 12w peak under full modulation, not counting mod limiter action.

Brales60

Premium Subscriber
I so miss this thing I had back when I was driving with a Wilson 1000.
s-l1600.jpg

RayAir

I had a President HR2510 in the early 2000's. It had FM and frankly who cares.
I can't see how that's a selling point.
The only cool thing about that radio was I discovered some crooked trucking company in Clewiston, FL operating in the 25mhz range using USB. They thought no one would find them down there.

Ensnared

Premium Subscriber
Thank you for this post. I believe I have talked to one person on FM since I purchased my Anytone 500-M.

I suppose skip would be significantly lessened if FM was the norm. At present, skip is rather annoying on Channel 19 here in Texas.

krokus

Premium Subscriber
I want a (FCC legal) CB that has AM, FM & SSB. Those units are common for the EU market, with the applicable standards being the same. What is the hold up on getting that to the USA market?

When FM was allowed in the US, I figured the McKinley was going to get a modification to their type acceptance, and enable FM on the FCC variants.

Golay

So five AM/FM radios, one AM/SSB radio but no AM/FM/SSB radios. I don't think FM is going to be a very big lure and these AM/FM only radios will sit on the store shelves, especially with no CTSSS or DCS.
I took a look at the five President AM/FM radios that iMONITOR started this thread with. The 4 mobiles all have a green tab on the front that says "USB". What's that about?

Also, according to Amazon, the Harrison does have CTCSS and DCS: