• To anyone looking to acquire commercial radio programming software:

Please do not make requests for copies of radio programming software which is sold (or was sold) by the manufacturer for any monetary value. All requests will be deleted and a forum infraction issued. Making a request such as this is attempting to engage in software piracy and this forum cannot be involved or associated with this activity. The same goes for any private transaction via Private Message. Even if you attempt to engage in this activity in PM's we will still enforce the forum rules. Your PM's are not private and the administration has the right to read them if there's a hint to criminal activity.

If you are having trouble legally obtaining software please state so. We do not want any hurt feelings when your vague post is mistaken for a free request. It is YOUR responsibility to properly word your request.

To obtain Motorola software see the Sticky in the Motorola forum.

The various other vendors often permit their dealers to sell the software online (i.e., Kenwood). Please use Google or some other search engine to find a dealer that sells the software. Typically each series or individual radio requires its own software package. Often the Kenwood software is less than $100 so don't be a cheapskate; just purchase it.

For M/A Com/Harris/GE, etc: there are two software packages that program all current and past radios. One package is for conventional programming and the other for trunked programming. The trunked package is in upwards of $2,500. The conventional package is more reasonable though is still several hundred dollars. The benefit is you do not need multiple versions for each radio (unlike Motorola).

This is a large and very visible forum. We cannot jeopardize the ability to provide the RadioReference services by allowing this activity to occur. Please respect this.

PRESIDENT C.B.'s with AM and FM are available in 5 models now.

prcguy

I took a look at the five President AM/FM radios that iMONITOR started this thread with. The 4 mobiles all have a green tab on the front that says "USB". What's that about?

Also, according to Amazon, the Harrison does have CTCSS and DCS:

USB programming port?

ur20v

The Feds say my name hot like when the oven on
It's a standard 5vdc, 2.1A USB power outlet.

slowmover

I’d prefer to have a Lincoln which incorporated NRC over the Anytone & Stryker offerings (among others). Any advantage in TX/RX seen by those included.

A President then back to the top of the heap.

FM kinda neither here nor there. A feature one uses by arrangement with another. (Doing stuff for fun not the same as AM-19 by necessity; FM a way to expand on a topic via contact made on AM for some depth).

DSP Linc + DigiMike looks like the winner (as I see things).

Front panel Tone Control (high, medium, low) for audio would then be all that I missed from the Galaxy DX959.

On the fly adjustments thru the day mark my use of CB while mobile to deal with Skip, etc. A High Cut filter is great (as are NB/ANL), but that last bit of changing the sound of voices is needed.

Cover that base (mobile) as above and all other features fall into place (use while stationary and/or with stationary-only antenna choices.

The vehicle engine being the electrical source, the small size + loads of features denoting Ham Radio, Jr, such would be King of Mobiles in my estimation.

But there’ll be an Anytone AT5555-II in one of my vehicles before I quit holding my breath for the arrival of the President competitor.

The slow boats from China may not get here. This year or next.

Don’t wait.

JASII

Memory Capacity
I want a (FCC legal) CB that has AM, FM & SSB. Those units are common for the EU market, with the applicable standards being the same. What is the hold up on getting that to the USA market?

When FM was allowed in the US, I figured the McKinley was going to get a modification to their type acceptance, and enable FM on the FCC variants.

I might actually consider one if it is AM/FM/SSB and has PL/DPL.

redbeard

OH, PA, WV Regional Admin
Database Admin
It's probably useless as I bet as soon as you plug a device in to charge the noise floor will go to S9+

Also FM CB? Meh...had it for decades on export radios and nobody cared. And now the new legal version isn't using the same bandwidth and will be even more useless as well as not backwards compatible, likely on purpose like the UK did to their royal subjects.

slowmover

It's probably useless as I bet as soon as you plug a device in to charge the noise floor will go to S9+

Also FM CB? Meh...had it for decades on export radios and nobody cared. And now the new legal version isn't using the same bandwidth and will be even more useless as well as not backwards compatible, likely on purpose like the UK did to their royal subjects.

Some brands I might agree about USB noise. Not this brand.

FM is for taking an AM conversation to a quiet corner.

prcguy

I’d prefer to have a Lincoln which incorporated NRC over the Anytone & Stryker offerings (among others). Any advantage in TX/RX seen by those included.

A President then back to the top of the heap.

FM kinda neither here nor there. A feature one uses by arrangement with another. (Doing stuff for fun not the same as AM-19 by necessity; FM a way to expand on a topic via contact made on AM for some depth).

DSP Linc + DigiMike looks like the winner (as I see things).

Front panel Tone Control (high, medium, low) for audio would then be all that I missed from the Galaxy DX959.

On the fly adjustments thru the day mark my use of CB while mobile to deal with Skip, etc. A High Cut filter is great (as are NB/ANL), but that last bit of changing the sound of voices is needed.

Cover that base (mobile) as above and all other features fall into place (use while stationary and/or with stationary-only antenna choices.

The vehicle engine being the electrical source, the small size + loads of features denoting Ham Radio, Jr, such would be King of Mobiles in my estimation.

But there’ll be an Anytone AT5555-II in one of my vehicles before I quit holding my breath for the arrival of the President competitor.

The slow boats from China may not get here. This year or next.

Don’t wait.

Can't believe you don't have that AT-5555N II yet. After getting it you will have to get running water and a crapper in your rig because you will never want to leave it.

GadgetGeek

I took a look at the five President AM/FM radios that iMONITOR started this thread with. The 4 mobiles all have a green tab on the front that says "USB". What's that about?

Also, according to Amazon, the Harrison does have CTCSS and DCS:

That's just a USB 5 volt power socket. Maybe used to program too.

redbeard

OH, PA, WV Regional Admin
Database Admin
That's just a USB 5 volt power socket. Maybe used to program too.
Definitely not for programming. It's an out, not an in. Host side vs device side. I've never seen a USB-A to USB-A cable in use either, although they do exist for some niche purpose.

bharvey2

Can't believe you don't have that AT-5555N II yet. After getting it you will have to get running water and a crapper in your rig because you will never want to leave it.

I've been mulling over getting one of those lately especially since 10 meters seems to be coming back to life. However as was pointed out earlier, the CB band in my neck of the woods is still a chaotic mess if it's active at all. I'm just not sure if I can justify the purchase.

prcguy

What no VHF airband???
Yea, I hear VHF air is the most important thing for truckers and most CBers and it fails miserably there. But for all the less desirable features like a great receiver, loud transmitter, gobs of power, super stable on SSB and nearly 25-30MHz coverage, some might be able to overlook the loss of VHF air.

devicelab

Whacker Extraordinaire
But for all the less desirable features like a great receiver, loud transmitter, gobs of power, super stable on SSB and nearly 25-30MHz coverage, some might be able to overlook the loss of VHF air.
I might look into. it I'm pretty happy with my McKinley. I bought the FM model last year and didn't keep it. I didn't hear ONE person on FM. I tried making a few contacts but nothing. One guy actually yelled at me for being in the wrong mode. :geek:

Ensnared

I want a (FCC legal) CB that has AM, FM & SSB. Those units are common for the EU market, with the applicable standards being the same. What is the hold up on getting that to the USA market?

When FM was allowed in the US, I figured the McKinley was going to get a modification to their type acceptance, and enable FM on the FCC variants.
I love the Avatar. "Just one more little morsel."