• To anyone looking to acquire commercial radio programming software:

Please do not make requests for copies of radio programming software which is sold (or was sold) by the manufacturer for any monetary value. All requests will be deleted and a forum infraction issued. Making a request such as this is attempting to engage in software piracy and this forum cannot be involved or associated with this activity. The same goes for any private transaction via Private Message. Even if you attempt to engage in this activity in PM's we will still enforce the forum rules. Your PM's are not private and the administration has the right to read them if there's a hint to criminal activity.

If you are having trouble legally obtaining software please state so. We do not want any hurt feelings when your vague post is mistaken for a free request. It is YOUR responsibility to properly word your request.

To obtain Motorola software see the Sticky in the Motorola forum.

The various other vendors often permit their dealers to sell the software online (i.e., Kenwood). Please use Google or some other search engine to find a dealer that sells the software. Typically each series or individual radio requires its own software package. Often the Kenwood software is less than $100 so don't be a cheapskate; just purchase it.

For M/A Com/Harris/GE, etc: there are two software packages that program all current and past radios. One package is for conventional programming and the other for trunked programming. The trunked package is in upwards of $2,500. The conventional package is more reasonable though is still several hundred dollars. The benefit is you do not need multiple versions for each radio (unlike Motorola).

This is a large and very visible forum. We cannot jeopardize the ability to provide the RadioReference services by allowing this activity to occur. Please respect this.

President Grant 2 CB Radio

Status
Not open for further replies.

IdleMonitor

Premium Subscriber
Got mine last week. Ordered it on Tuesday and got it on Friday. No problems with shipping or customs. Great radio so far. Bought a galaxy 99v2 last September and was never happy with it. Mostly junk at least the one I have not saying all galaxy's are but mine is. The grant is a 980 with a lot more to offer. Great radio built by a reputable company.

I like the simplicity and ease of use with this radio. No problems with mine.

tudaqyzu.jpg

cpotter

I have a question for those of you who have purchased this radio and had the export modification performed..................is this the modification that involves clipping the white wire and moving the jumper to pins 2 & 3?

Thanks

AL567

That is correct... Clip the white wire and move the jumper. That's it. google grant 2 frequency mod and you'll stumble up on a few pictures and video on the procedure. Easy to do.

AL567

Frequency Mod for Grant 2

Picture of the frequency Mod. Clip white wire and move jumper from 1 and 2 to 2 and 3

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    56.1 KB · Views: 1,770

AL567

That is a good question. i'd say it's a gamble on the warranty but then again how often do we ever have to use a warranty anyway. President makes good quality radios so its worth the risk IMO if the warranty is in fact void. Per my grants warranty "the guarantee of this transceiver is valid only in the country of purchase" Take that for what it's worth.

Last edited:

Dawn

Topic kind of died. New news though, President coming to the United States. Florida is the chosen location.

Who will be the importer and where in Fl?

Question to those with these and other Presidents that feature CTCSS/DCS.

Do they decode as well ?

Are splits/offsets programmable in memory?

For some reason, most of these 10-12M radios don't seem to make these important issues clear for those amateurs that would use these radios legitimately.

AL567

I don't know the full details but it is posted on Simons website that President is coming to the USA. Naples Florida 2016.. True??? Aprils fool joke??? Equipment??? Anyone's guess at this point. if they are coming here then one would expect they would be fcc approved I would think. The Lincoln II is the only 10 meter radio that they currently have on the market isn't it? Roger beep and echoe? I may be wrong on that. Grant can be converted to do 10 meter fairly easy. As far as information on the CW there are several written and video reviews on the Lincoln that do discuss the questions that you are asking. mediocre on CW but just my opinion. Over all It's a good 10 meter radio for the serious legitimate ham. Of coarse as I noted the Lincoln II does have Roger beep and Echo to target a larger group of users so that in itself will insult most "serious" hams. I myself have no problem with the Roger beep and echoe because I don't use them anyway I just leave them off. I'm a legitimate user But I like 11 meters too so mine is converted to do 11 meters. I replaced my Grant II with the Lincoln II because the Grant was limited to 5's and zero's. The Lincoln does has VFO whereas the Grant doesn't..

Last edited:

Dawn

I downloaded the Lincon II manual and if I can infer from the text,it appears that a PL/DPL code can be programmed independently for transmit and receive as is the offset. It's unlclear if it's just a global memory or linked to a particular channel.

The radio also seems to have a hysteresis type squelch setting.

This is a big problem with these radios as they may be claiming amateur, but not appropriate. I was eyeing the SR-59 that Simon was reviewing. Seemed to be tempting to go mobile again with something so small that covers amateur bands in AM/FM but no split nor tone I could tell.

I'm surprised there is not that much attention to real amateurs. The amateur versions of the HR series and Radio Shack units were very well received, but very flawed. Chipswitch helped on some accounts. I bought an Optima import that generated quite a bit of interest locally. Good radio for SSB, but still very flawed for FM use where I kept a Kenwood TK-6100 commercial unit programmed for FM use along side.

AL567

I enjoy the Lincoln 2 on 10 meters just for propagation purposes on SSB. I believe that there is only one 10 meter repeater in Tennessee which is a long way off from me so I haven't attempted the tones. You've got some very good points in what you're saying. I guess when it comes right down to it it's really targeted at a larger audience than just ham. I talk 2 meters on repeaters and basically use the Lincoln to talk 10 meter SSB propagation. I get great reports on 10 meters. Some of the features are like you say pretty useless. Just for show mainly. CTCSS on one button then Roger beep on another turns off most hams. A true HF rig cost some serious money. I'm happy with mine and what it does.

AL567

I downloaded the Lincon II manual and if I can infer from the text,it appears that a PL/DPL code can be programmed independently for transmit and receive as is the offset. It's unlclear if it's just a global memory or linked to a particular channel.

The radio also seems to have a hysteresis type squelch setting.

This is a big problem with these radios as they may be claiming amateur, but not appropriate. I was eyeing the SR-59 that Simon was reviewing. Seemed to be tempting to go mobile again with something so small that covers amateur bands in AM/FM but no split nor tone I could tell.

I'm surprised there is not that much attention to real amateurs. The amateur versions of the HR series and Radio Shack units were very well received, but very flawed. Chipswitch helped on some accounts. I bought an Optima import that generated quite a bit of interest locally. Good radio for SSB, but still very flawed for FM use where I kept a Kenwood TK-6100 commercial unit programmed for FM use along side.

If you're still keeping track of the thread I was playing around with the Lincoln the other day and yes it does have offsets and tones per frequency not global. I programmed a few offsets (not automatic) However since there is no 10 meter repeater in my area I could not add a tone to check to see if they work properly. There is a list of tones in the radios menu. I'm curious about the FM repeater for 10 meters with this radio myself to see how it sounds on the air using repeaters.

Last edited:

TheSpaceMann

Status
Not open for further replies.