President hr2510 cb or ham? How to tell

Status
Not open for further replies.

darticus

What is this thing. Is it a CB? Is it a Ham? How do you know? Can you transmit on CB? What about Ham? Need more info before I use it. Thanks Ron

OCO

It's an "export" "10 meter" radio with mfr supplied quick modifications to convert it to use illegally in the CB band. Google turns up loads of info ....If it has been modded, as 99.9 percent have been, the frequency display will show it...As far as I know, these haven't been marketed new since the 80's, so take your chances on condition.

darticus

Can a normal CB ANTENNA be used for transmission on this radio? Will the CB antenna only be good for the CB band on this? Is another antenna needed for the 10 meter transmission on this? Thanks Ron

It's an "export" "10 meter" radio with mfr supplied quick modifications to convert it to use illegally in the CB band. Google turns up loads of info ....If it has been modded, as 99.9 percent have been, the frequency display will show it...As far as I know, these haven't been marketed new since the 80's, so take your chances on condition.

r_eugene1

Can a normal CB ANTENNA be used for transmission on this radio? Will the CB antenna only be good for the CB band on this? Is another antenna needed for the 10 meter transmission on this? Thanks Ron
If the radio is modified for CB band yes a normal CB antenna will work. But if not you will need to get a 10 meter antenna.
Also you may want to take in mind that it is illegal to transmit on the 10 meter band without an Amateur Radio license!

OCO

Actually, Darticus has his Tech - the issue would be the opposite - risking his ticket if ever cited for operation of non-type accepted equipment in (or around) the CB band... From reviews I've read, the radio makes a halfway decent 10 meter rig, especially with the chipswitch mod that is still available (and can even be used to disable out of band ops...)

darticus

Its a 10 meter radio modded for CB also. What can be used for with a tech license? Only CB and part of A and B?
These are the bands it has now with CW,LSB,USB,AM,FM Choices
Bands A. 28.000 - 28.490
B. 28.500 - 28.990
C. 29.000 - 29.490
D. 29.5000 - 29.690
E. 26.000 - 26.490
F. 26.500 - 26.990
G. 26.965 - 27.405
H. 27.000 - 27.490
I. 27.500 - 27.990

Last edited:

KG4INW

Premium Subscriber
Yes, too powerful to comply with FCC rules so not legal. They get around it by trying to claim they're for "export" only but as old_CJDC_ops pointed out they're easy to modify for CB use. Illegal for CB but just fine for ham (properly licensed of course!).

OCO

I don't have a mic so I can't test anything. Is it a power problem is why it can't be used on CB? Ron
Because it's not type accepted by the FCC for CB operation.. From a WIKI entry on CB:
Transmitters must be FCC certified and may not be modified, including modifications to increase output power or to transmit on unauthorized frequencies. Output power is limited to 4 watts for AM transmitters and 12 watts peak envelope power for single sideband (SSB) transmitters.
Note I'm not the radio cops, just giving you what you've asked. You seem to be focusing on CB operation of the radio...you make your own choices and live with any potential consequences, whatever level of risk exists.

k8wtf

It's legal to modify it (if not done already) and to receive the CB band on it - just don't press the mic key!

10 meters is a lot of fun when the band is open, and it's the only HF band you can use as a tech for voice communications. I worked a lot of CA stations with S9+ signals from Ohio this weekend, and I have an awful antenna. You should be able to trim a CB antenna down a bit for use on 10 meters and work some fairly long distances when the conditions are right.

darticus

I thank all for your input. I need a mic for this as I can't even check output without the mic. Anyone have one? I guess I'll save for some 10m fun sometime. I think you can tune the output down on these units if someone wanted to use it for Cb. Thanks Again Ron

Token

You cannot use it for CB at all and only USB or CW from 28.3 to 28.5 MHz as a tech.

Don't forget CW, RTTY, and Data from 28.0 to 28.3. Novice/Tech has the entire bottom 500 kHz of the band from 28.0 to 28.5 in some form or another, CW/Data/RTTY from 28.0 to 28.3, and SSB/CW from 28.3 to 28.5.

T!

Token

I thank all for your input. I need a mic for this as I can't even check output without the mic. Anyone have one? I guess I'll save for some 10m fun sometime. I think you can tune the output down on these units if someone wanted to use it for Cb. Thanks Again Ron

Forget turning the power down, that is not the issue. Yes, they transmit with more power than is allowed on CB, but the real problem is that they are not Type Accepted by the FCC for operation on the 27 MHz CB band. It does not matter if you turn the power down to the legal limit for CBs or not, they are still illegal to use. Even if they meet all the specifications for "authorized" CB radios, such as power, modulation, frequency stability, etc, etc, and are externally undetectable as illegal for use they still are illegal to use on CB unless they are "type accepted" by the FCC for use in the CB service.

Use of such radios is sometimes a sore point on forums like these. Some people see it as no big deal and some people see it as illegal, and so should not be done even if it can't be detected. I refuse to comment on if it should be done or not, but if a person is going to do so they need to know it is against the rules, and could, potentially even if improbably, cost you your ham license.

T!

KG4INW

Premium Subscriber
Don't forget CW, RTTY, and Data from 28.0 to 28.3. Novice/Tech has the entire bottom 500 kHz of the band from 28.0 to 28.5 in some form or another, CW/Data/RTTY from 28.0 to 28.3, and SSB/CW from 28.3 to 28.5.

T!

Right! Forgot about that, thanks.

darticus

Really I guess your right and I really should scrap it. Thanks Ron

Forget turning the power down, that is not the issue. Yes, they transmit with more power than is allowed on CB, but the real problem is that they are not Type Accepted by the FCC for operation on the 27 MHz CB band. It does not matter if you turn the power down to the legal limit for CBs or not, they are still illegal to use. Even if they meet all the specifications for "authorized" CB radios, such as power, modulation, frequency stability, etc, etc, and are externally undetectable as illegal for use they still are illegal to use on CB unless they are "type accepted" by the FCC for use in the CB service.

Use of such radios is sometimes a sore point on forums like these. Some people see it as no big deal and some people see it as illegal, and so should not be done even if it can't be detected. I refuse to comment on if it should be done or not, but if a person is going to do so they need to know it is against the rules, and could, potentially even if improbably, cost you your ham license.

T!

pjtnascar

Hey before you scrap ot, send it my way! Get that baby runnin on 10 meters. You could get an antena tuner so you could use it on the same antenna you use your CB on.

N8IAA

Uniden marketed it as a 10m base/mobile. Used mine for 10m only. Had a better HF rig--Ten Tec Argonaut 529. Could have had a CB mod on the 2950:wink: Don't ditch a decent 10m rig. Check out the transmit on it first.
Larry

Token

Really I guess your right and I really should scrap it. Thanks Ron

Who said anything about scrapping it? If I am reading the rest of this thread right you have a Tech ham ticket, as such it would be perfectly legal and appropriate for you to use this radio, as it currently exist, on 10 meters. It would not be legal to use it on CB. Just because the radio CAN electronically do CB does not make it illegal, and does not mean you need to use it for CB transmissions. Ownership of the radio (even by someone without a ham license) is not a violation in any way that I am aware of. The only thing that would be a violation would be to actually use the radio to transmit outside the 10 meter band.

T!

Status
Not open for further replies.