• To anyone looking to acquire commercial radio programming software:

Please do not make requests for copies of radio programming software which is sold (or was sold) by the manufacturer for any monetary value. All requests will be deleted and a forum infraction issued. Making a request such as this is attempting to engage in software piracy and this forum cannot be involved or associated with this activity. The same goes for any private transaction via Private Message. Even if you attempt to engage in this activity in PM's we will still enforce the forum rules. Your PM's are not private and the administration has the right to read them if there's a hint to criminal activity.

If you are having trouble legally obtaining software please state so. We do not want any hurt feelings when your vague post is mistaken for a free request. It is YOUR responsibility to properly word your request.

To obtain Motorola software see the Sticky in the Motorola forum.

The various other vendors often permit their dealers to sell the software online (i.e., Kenwood). Please use Google or some other search engine to find a dealer that sells the software. Typically each series or individual radio requires its own software package. Often the Kenwood software is less than $100 so don't be a cheapskate; just purchase it.

For M/A Com/Harris/GE, etc: there are two software packages that program all current and past radios. One package is for conventional programming and the other for trunked programming. The trunked package is in upwards of $2,500. The conventional package is more reasonable though is still several hundred dollars. The benefit is you do not need multiple versions for each radio (unlike Motorola).

This is a large and very visible forum. We cannot jeopardize the ability to provide the RadioReference services by allowing this activity to occur. Please respect this.

President Lincoln II+ resistor question.

AnatakInc

Premium Subscriber
I came across a discounted Lincoln II+ several months back, on the way home from passing my Technician exam. I’m passing my General in the next two weeks and wanting to finally employ the radio in my truck. However, I want to increase it’s capability by adding a 1K 1/4W resistor. My question…is using a metal film resistor not advised; if so, why? Every tutorial on doing this mentions using a carbon film resistor, if it’s even mentioned at all.

prcguy

I came across a discounted Lincoln II+ several months back, on the way home from passing my Technician exam. I’m passing my General in the next two weeks and wanting to finally employ the radio in my truck. However, I want to increase it’s capability by adding a 1K 1/4W resistor. My question…is using a metal film resistor not advised; if so, why? Every tutorial on doing this mentions using a carbon film resistor, if it’s even mentioned at all.
Is this to open up more freqs? If so the resistor type will not matter. There are only a few places in RF circuits where a metal film might not be the best choice and that would be due to any inductance it might have from the laser trimming process leaving a spiral or zig zag type trace.

AnatakInc

Premium Subscriber
Y
Is this to open up more freqs? If so the resistor type will not matter. There are only a few places in RF circuits where a metal film might not be the best choice and that would be due to any inductance it might have from the laser trimming process leaving a spiral or zig zag type trace.
Yes, it is to open up the 11 meter band. Thank You.

N1EXA

FT8 Huntin Mudd Duck on the deep end of the pond !
Use a small carbon 1k resistor- All this does is enables a logic command so when you are in engineering mode you enable
the 11 meter band sofware command.
Dont over think what is being done.

Pete N1EXA