• To anyone looking to acquire commercial radio programming software:

Please do not make requests for copies of radio programming software which is sold (or was sold) by the manufacturer for any monetary value. All requests will be deleted and a forum infraction issued. Making a request such as this is attempting to engage in software piracy and this forum cannot be involved or associated with this activity. The same goes for any private transaction via Private Message. Even if you attempt to engage in this activity in PM's we will still enforce the forum rules. Your PM's are not private and the administration has the right to read them if there's a hint to criminal activity.

If you are having trouble legally obtaining software please state so. We do not want any hurt feelings when your vague post is mistaken for a free request. It is YOUR responsibility to properly word your request.

To obtain Motorola software see the Sticky in the Motorola forum.

The various other vendors often permit their dealers to sell the software online (i.e., Kenwood). Please use Google or some other search engine to find a dealer that sells the software. Typically each series or individual radio requires its own software package. Often the Kenwood software is less than $100 so don't be a cheapskate; just purchase it.

For M/A Com/Harris/GE, etc: there are two software packages that program all current and past radios. One package is for conventional programming and the other for trunked programming. The trunked package is in upwards of $2,500. The conventional package is more reasonable though is still several hundred dollars. The benefit is you do not need multiple versions for each radio (unlike Motorola).

This is a large and very visible forum. We cannot jeopardize the ability to provide the RadioReference services by allowing this activity to occur. Please respect this.

President Lincoln II + very low volume on CB-AM after Mod

Status
Not open for further replies.

badspell68

I recently picked up a President Lincoln II + and did the CB mod. Now have CB FM and AM. But, on the CB AM band the volume is very low. Any one else experience this and have insight or a fix?

Attachments

• 20201118_201004.jpg
    20201118_201004.jpg
    74.5 KB · Views: 56

badspell68

Uh, maybe I did not, Duh. Just turned up the gain and...Yes, it's much louder. Thanks! But, the other bands are so much louder at this setting then the CB AM. Any guess on what happened? Is it the mod or CB in relation to the other bands? (If you haven't guessed, I'm newbie)

Here is a pic of my cobbled together setup (20' CB antenna on Roof and installing this week 10' GMRS/2M in a 30' tree) and currently studying for HAM license, but still like GMRS and CB :)

Attachments

• hhh.jpg
    hhh.jpg
    45.7 KB · Views: 86
Last edited:

prcguy

The S meter is the little scale at the left of the display that shows how strong someone is being received by how many bars like 1, 3, 5, 7, 9, etc. On transmit it should show bars going to the right. When you receive someone are they lighting up any bars or is it blank like your first picture? Unsquelched background noise would be when you turn the squelch knob fully counterclockwise and the radio makes a hissing static noise. Is the volume of that noise in AM mode at the same level as AM mode on other bands?

Without seeing the radio and knowing exactly what you did during the modification its hard to say what's going on. These radios are designed as CBs and doing a mod to enable the regular CB band is just adding that frequency range and should not affect any other aspect of the radio.

Don't even know what an "S" meter is yet. Unquenched background noise?

Last edited:

RFI-EMI-GUY

also the band could be quite dead at the moment. You will always get a lot of speaker noise in FM because that mode has a lot of signal fro random noise when there is no desired signal.

ladn

Explorer of the Frequency Spectrum
Premium Subscriber
Southern California and sometimes Owens Valley
Did that. Still significantly (really really low!) lower volume then all other bands.
Are you listening to the other bands in the same mode? Try each band in AM, then FM. You will be listening for consistency between bands with the squelch wide open. I'd expect FM to be louder, all things considered.

N0YJV

You just clipped the white wire, right?
Hi,
I purchased mine from Walcott Radio, and they were supposed to do the expansion with a tune before sending it out. Mine seems to only have 10 and 12 meters on it. If they did do the work, should it show some frequencies in the 26 mhz, or do I need to do something in the menus to activate CB mode?
Thanks

alcahuete

Premium Subscriber
Hi,
I purchased mine from Walcott Radio, and they were supposed to do the expansion with a tune before sending it out. Mine seems to only have 10 and 12 meters on it. If they did do the work, should it show some frequencies in the 26 mhz, or do I need to do something in the menus to activate CB mode?
Thanks

You should just be able to press the Band Button and switch to Band A.

N0YJV

Hi,
On A, mine shows 28 mhz to 29 something mhz. Going through A through J, there is nothing in the 26 mhz range.
Hi,
On A, mine shows 28 mhz to 29 something mhz. Going through A through J, there is nothing in the 26 mhz range.
Hi,
Hi,
On mine, which I thought was modified, it shows 28 & 29 mhz, A through J all have nothing in the 26 mhz frequencies.

N0YJV

I don't believe it came with any instructions, other than the President stuff in the box. I know that when I snipped the white wire in my Stryker radio, I had to hold a couple buttons when powering on, and select a mode to open it up, but I would have thought since I purchased this from Walcott for them to do this and align the radio and such, that it would be done. Maybe I can tell when I get a USB cord to download from the radio, but it doesn't sound promising to me as is.

alcahuete

Premium Subscriber
I would have thought since I purchased this from Walcott for them to do this and align the radio and such, that it would be done.

I would think so too, but who knows? The website in my post above gives the menu items you need to change to open the radio up, assuming the hardware mod was actually completed. I would try that.

Status
Not open for further replies.