• To anyone looking to acquire commercial radio programming software:

Please do not make requests for copies of radio programming software which is sold (or was sold) by the manufacturer for any monetary value. All requests will be deleted and a forum infraction issued. Making a request such as this is attempting to engage in software piracy and this forum cannot be involved or associated with this activity. The same goes for any private transaction via Private Message. Even if you attempt to engage in this activity in PM's we will still enforce the forum rules. Your PM's are not private and the administration has the right to read them if there's a hint to criminal activity.

If you are having trouble legally obtaining software please state so. We do not want any hurt feelings when your vague post is mistaken for a free request. It is YOUR responsibility to properly word your request.

To obtain Motorola software see the Sticky in the Motorola forum.

The various other vendors often permit their dealers to sell the software online (i.e., Kenwood). Please use Google or some other search engine to find a dealer that sells the software. Typically each series or individual radio requires its own software package. Often the Kenwood software is less than $100 so don't be a cheapskate; just purchase it.

For M/A Com/Harris/GE, etc: there are two software packages that program all current and past radios. One package is for conventional programming and the other for trunked programming. The trunked package is in upwards of $2,500. The conventional package is more reasonable though is still several hundred dollars. The benefit is you do not need multiple versions for each radio (unlike Motorola).

This is a large and very visible forum. We cannot jeopardize the ability to provide the RadioReference services by allowing this activity to occur. Please respect this.

President mobile CB radios - Professional, polished and serious radios for the 11-meter band

press1280

There are 11m beacons. I sometimes hear them on ch40. I think they are popular in South America.

press1280,
Do you live near an airport? Maybe a long wave beacon bleeding in?
If you have a smartphone there are apps that can decode Morse just by holding it near the speaker.
I live near an air national guard base. I’ll have to check that Morse code app and see what’s they’re saying.

slowmover

Context. Useful (vs all others). A CB Radio thread.

It is unlikely I can talk to someone several states away to ask about, say, in conditions to a very specific area to which I am headed without some propagation luck.

It is likely I can raise someone on the CB where 98% of the road traffic is carried on the Interstate albeit at short range).

In both cases it still comes down to increasing the margin of success via best installation practice.

Speaking with some random stranger — while fun — isn’t the same thing.

The exception I’d make is if/when SHTF . . . and then there arises the problem of bad actors on-air on the one hand, and others too cowardly to speak up about what is happening around them. Things that could be known at a distance via th larger on-air community.

Radio has purpose. Best set of ears I’ve had in the Peterbilt has been a PRESIDENT Lincoln II. Over Cobra, Uniden & Galaxy.

A McKinley isn’t terrifically different. (Lower price and easier to use).

If I never had any other radios except multiples of these two, I’d have everything covered for 11-Meter.

Last edited:

prcguy

Now you've taken an off topic, general CB vs Amateur comment and twisted it back in favor of CB.

Context. Useful (vs all others). A CB Radio thread.

It is unlikely I can talk to someone several states away to ask about, say, in conditions to a very specific area to which I am headed without some propagation luck.

It is likely I can raise someone on the CB where 98% of the road traffic is carried on the Interstate albeit at short range).

In both cases it still comes down to increasing the margin of success via best installation practice.

Speaking with some random stranger — while fun — isn’t the same thing.

The exception I’d make is if/when SHTF . . . and then there arises the problem of bad actors on-air on the one hand, and others too cowardly to speak up about what is happening around them. Things that could be known at a distance via th larger on-air community.

Radio has purpose.

slowmover

Now you've taken an off topic, general CB vs Amateur comment and twisted it back in favor of CB.

Arguing context in a CB radio thread.
Of course it favors CB.
A brand-specific thread.

As after CB it turns into (1) licensee restrictions where (2) letter-of-the-law is observed.

The single point to be made about service other than 11-Meter is install requirements (which benefit CB) and using applicable Amateur accessories (DSP).

And post edited since your quote.

Last edited:

slowmover

Will I get completely eaten alive here if I dare refer to modern President radios as "ham grade CB radios," or will you be able to see where I'm coming from when I say it and appreciate my point? LOL

I use that description half loosely, but half not. Every single President mobile I've heard on the air has the most pristine audio quality of any type-accepted, politically-correct CB radio on the market. Galaxy's often earn the reputation of being "loud" radios, but I've heard three different President radios on the air, and every one had crystal clear modulation.

My wife, who is NOT a CB aficionado, has taken notice of two local guys who run them. She yelled in from the other room the other day when a guy I was talking to was asking about how his President Bill sounded to tell me it was one of the best sounding stations she has ever heard me talk to. Another guy I know has an Andy or Andy II, and it's the same situation, crystal clear and balanced.

Newer Presidents aren't for your noise-toy-loving, whip-on-the-rusted-out-Delta-88-bumper redneck CB crew. They're laid out like a piece of equipment with just the right extras, intelligent controls, they look professional and they sound good.

Heck, even the way they make a handheld CB is a cut above ANY company that has tried making a handheld CB to date. Rechargeable lithium battery pack on board, charging cradle, belt clip with mic holder conformation, roger beep, display colors you can change, audio quality adjustments, external mic jacks and a real antenna jack.

Try to find a President Randy handheld today. Most of the places I look, they're sold out.

Anyone here own any of the modern President mobiles?

All good points. On mobile AM it’s mainly Stryker (Galaxy, second) where operators have gone to some trouble with installation.

AM and SSB it’s almost always Styker and President, mobile or not.

President doesn’t get out (come across) as well as Styker/Galaxy in mobile AM, but,

there is no second place for RX audio clarity (quality) to a Lincoln II. (The Hi-Cut Filter is a big help in all-day use).

Given that big truck mobile is fraught with difficulty I’ve gone back to a Galaxy as it’s much easier for my ears to detect distance as well as direction of travel than with the Linc.

The Linc reproduces the distant & fading signals almost as well as the guy running a quarter-mile behind me.

My pickup will have a far better antenna system (and fewer RFI problems) than a big truck, so it’s performance will be adequately leveraged thereby.

Given it’s a much smaller case than a Galaxy DX-99v2, so much the better.

IOW, I’m getting as much as I already can with the big truck antenna system. The Galaxy isn’t hindered in RX range comparatively. It’s “lesser” performance is actually an aid to high-speed decision-making.

FWIW, the Anytone 5555 & 6666 are greatly similar to the Linc but have no warranty service available. They’d be adequate substitute given what other drivers of my acquaintance say (plus on line reports).

All this said — with ALL CB radios — DSP is needed as well as 50-150W amplification to reach the limits of what mobile CB can do.

I’ll run a Uniden 880/980 with DSP over any President (any CB) without it.

Last edited:

FPR1981

All good points. On mobile AM it’s mainly Stryker (Galaxy, second) where operators have gone to some trouble with installation.

AM and SSB it’s almost always Styker and President, mobile or not.

President doesn’t get out (come across) as well as Styker/Galaxy in mobile AM, but,

there is no second place for RX audio clarity (quality) to a Lincoln II. (The Hi-Cut Filter is a big help in all-day use).

Given that big truck mobile is fraught with difficulty I’ve gone back to a Galaxy as it’s much easier for my ears to detect distance as well as direction of travel than with the Linc.

The Linc reproduces the distant & fading signals almost as well as the guy running a quarter-mile behind me.

My pickup will have a far better antenna system (and fewer RFI problems) than a big truck, so it’s performance will be adequately leveraged thereby.

Given it’s a much smaller case than a Galaxy DX-99v2, so much the better.

IOW, I’m getting as much as I already can with the big truck antenna system. The Galaxy isn’t hindered in RX range comparatively. It’s “lesser” performance is actually an aid to high-speed decision-making.

FWIW, the Anytone 5555 & 6666 are greatly similar to the Linc but have no warranty service available. They’d be adequate substitute given what other drivers of my acquaintance say (plus on line reports).

All this said — with ALL CB radios — DSP is needed as well as 50-150W amplification to reach the limits of what mobile CB can do.

I’ll run a Uniden 880/980 with DSP over any President (any CB) without it.

Last night I put the RM Italy KL-200 in my pickup truck, along with my Tram 3500 (Wilson 1000/5000 clone). I have a Cobra 19 DX III that is one of the loudest and clearest modulating stock radios I've ever owned. It's the same platform as the Uniden Pro 510XL. I can hook it up as a base station and home and it's as loud as anything I own, Galaxy and Connex included.

Best part? It was free. Someone gave it to me in a box of radios.

The KL-200 is good for about 125 watts. I was blasting locally. Most of the locals said they thought I was on my base.

I realize that's off topic, but speaking generally about mobile installations, my next investment will either be the DSP speaker or the in-line DSP filter. I'm trying to talk other operators into getting one or the other as well.

Regarding the Lincoln II, am I correct in assuming that it's akin to a revision on the HR2510? I have two HR2510's, and also an Emperor TS-5010. The Emperor has superior audio. The HR2510's are by no means shabby, but the Emperor is a slight cut above.

I have a friend offering to sell me his 980 SSB for $100 when he re-installs his ICOM 706 Mk II that has been buried in storage. Would you pay $100 used for one?

jhooten

I have a friend offering to sell me his 980 SSB for $100 when he re-installs his ICOM 706 Mk II that has been buried in storage. Would you pay $100 used for one?

Depends, how good a friend is he and what shape is it in? It is not a great price, but it is not a bad price. If you shop around new ones can be found for 130ish.

prcguy

Its been a few years but when I bought my 980 they were running around $119 new.

Last night I put the RM Italy KL-200 in my pickup truck, along with my Tram 3500 (Wilson 1000/5000 clone). I have a Cobra 19 DX III that is one of the loudest and clearest modulating stock radios I've ever owned. It's the same platform as the Uniden Pro 510XL. I can hook it up as a base station and home and it's as loud as anything I own, Galaxy and Connex included.

The KL-200 is good for about 125 watts. I was blasting locally. Most of the locals said they thought I was on my base.

I realize that's off topic, but speaking generally about mobile installations, my next investment will either be the DSP speaker or the in-line DSP filter. I'm trying to talk other operators into getting one or the other as well.

Regarding the Lincoln II, am I correct in assuming that it's akin to a revision on the HR2510? I have two HR2510's, and also an Emperor TS-5010. The Emperor has superior audio. The HR2510's are by no means shabby, but the Emperor is a slight cut above.

slowmover

I’ve bought them new for $120. That’s the only guidance I’ve got. If it seems alright (friend, not just acquaintance), why not? That’s the default backup radio for your mobile, IMO. (Can’t have too many).

The name Lincoln is the only connection to the HR-2510. SMT-type. “Digital”.

B295C5EE-1590-43AF-A782-23997402C43D.jpeg

This is the smallest radio I own (besides McK). Won’t fit a bracket for a Cobra-29.m

As to DSP: the W-M Radio CLEARSPEECH DSP Speaker is packaged as a variable filter inside a HIGH quality amplified audio speaker. ($80 w/o DSP). My experience is that unless I was running a high-end AMATEUR speaker at a base station (not regular stereo or computer speaker) that the combined unit is not likely to be surpassed.

For mobile, I doubt the BHI offering is as good, but I haven’t used one. I’ve bought other of their products gladly. Search all reviews beforehand. BHI isn’t as popular so far as I can tell.

(There’s a history behind the W-M unit regarding other developers, IIRC. Be sure you’re reading about the comparable current unit).

I’d like to know how a separate DSP unit compares when running a Kenwood or Motorola mobile speaker. But mobile doesn’t need more devices to take up limited space so I haven’t pursued it. Won’t until my pickup install is done and then it’s time for the travel trailer.

Last edited:

slowmover

A word on audio clarity re my previous post: the PRESIDENT radios are — like current Unidens — noisy. Digital-radio hash. Better than a Uniden, yes, but not as quiet as my Galaxy radios (979, 86v, 99v2).

The Lincoln HI-CUT Filter is a real help.

Also, I wouldn’t run any digital radio without DSP. It’s too wearing 10-12/hrs per day. I wind up using more Squelch and less RF Gain than I prefer. I want maximum signal gain at all times.

So balance this comment against ones own preferences. In a major metro I’m likely to back it off some. Any radio, just more so with the digital radios. “Ideal”, to me, is to always run wide open.

OTOH, the digital radios are now the highest performing brand new offerings. But this last bit of performance may not matter to some users. (Will adjust Squelch & Gain).

As well: The rest of my mobile system features a coax system (w/o antennas) that’s $50 for cable and $250 for extra component cost. I’ll chase every bit of noise reduction possible. (Kinda like long range target shooting. 600-yards wasn’t a real leap in $. The additional expenses came with the distances out to 1,000-yards). IOW, I’ve spent a fair amount trying to make a difficult mobile as quiet as a good mobile by using yet more Amateur Radio Accessory Gear.

These caveats understood, the Lincoln presents RX audio so well that the small details of how the other man uses his voice are apparent. We’ve now gone from quantitative comparison (can I make it out?) to qualitative distinctions (voice actor techniques if in use; i.e., irony, sarcasm, etc. There are gradations of these.)

As men we like to think we can make out something from what other men say. More than just their words. Something about character. How truthful or intelligent are they?

This
is what I’ve meant by audio clarity. The Lincoln II+ is well ahead of the pack in rendering these voice details audible. (The ANYTONE 6666 may be similar).

Noise abatement is secondary to this. DSP clears out the brush that I can more easily make out those roaming the forest. Some digital hash — kept under control — isn’t a bar to my preferred style of use. The Linc (and McK) respond very well to this.

Last edited:

slowmover

When you’ve seen me write, “the next ten-thousand experienced big truck CB Radio operators don’t know what’s truly possible with Eleven Meter”, it’s with that knowledge in mind in the above posts.

The other guy has a nice, properly-tuned radio set to run with an amplifiier and has a well-sorted antenna system. (Rare, but not uncommon nation-wide). This is at least (and usually past) $750. The classic Big Radio.

Ham Radio Accessory Gear I’ve added is another $500 or so.

A $1,200 big truck radio is usually indicative of a very big amp system. But his ears (RX) usually are no better than a guy with a good antenna and a Uniden 980 barefoot.

So my comments about PRESIDENT radios and audio clarity have to do with the outer edge to which I’ve taken things with that expenditure. (Gear adaptation).

As money is also a consideration (over time, not all at once) chasing CMC & RF problems first is where I’d go before adding DSP. If it ain’t silent (nearly so) you ain’t done.

As digital radio hash is to be expected, your guide to successful steps is with vocal clarity.

Where I got too many ideas, but nevertheless achieved more than I expected.

I’m not done, FWIW, but things are now more about tuning what’s present (analytical test equipment I don’t yet own).

The big truck life is such that a system like this pays for itself 2-3X annually in keeping compensation high on a per-mile basis.

A President radio is where I’d start today given what I’ve learned. It’s also the basis of a gifted system for my son.

Forgive me the many words to get context across as to why I believe what I believe.

Many are those who won’t chase system problems not the fault of the radio chosen to plug into those systems (Power + Coax).

Last edited:

FPR1981

In my pickup truck, I am blowing serious smoke with my Cobra 19 III DX, RM Italy KL-200P and my Tram 3500 antenna. But, my receive is limited to the same thing the average CB is captive to. I would like to get my hands on a DSP speaker or filter very soon, and encourage many other regulars to do so.

prcguy

Most of the amateur radios I used to listen on CB have really good DSP noise reduction built right into the radio. Of course I would never transmit there with an amateur radio. Oh wait, I hear someone calling on 38 LSB through my Icom 7100, gotta answer that!

In my pickup truck, I am blowing serious smoke with my Cobra 19 III DX, RM Italy KL-200P and my Tram 3500 antenna. But, my receive is limited to the same thing the average CB is captive to. I would like to get my hands on a DSP speaker or filter very soon, and encourage many other regulars to do so.

FPR1981

t of the amateur radios I used to listen on CB have really good DSP noise reduction built right into the radio. Of course I would never transmit there with

haha, nahhh, of course not.

Then I could give you the same disingenuous BS that self-righteous people gave me when I dared to modify my Kenwood for use on GMRS, adhering to the proper power output levels, and no one being able to find out any different :D

slowmover

Yours is the first where I’ve seen a report of the KL-200 (vs the common KL-203). Glad for that. Sorry it isn’t sold here. 12A demand.

I wanted a bit more than what a KL-203 offered (75W, actual). The step to a KL-7405 involved physical size & amp draw a bit more than what I felt necessary (based on a great deal of big truck use with a particular antenna system), butI can make it work.

That 200 is at a sweet spot for size, demand & power output.