Presidential visit to CHO

Status
Not open for further replies.

gcgrotz

I guess everyone has heard that Mr. Bush is going to speak at Monticello on July 4. Get all your scanners programmed and ready. The last time a president came here was Clinton in 2000 for a fundraiser. He flew down on Marine 1 direct to Pat Kluge's farm. ATC was on 132.850 in the area, never used tower freq 124.500. Don't know of Bush is going to do the same or go to the airport. (No doubt the SAM pilots know the way since they come here for practice all the time.)

I didn't have a Mil-Air scanner at that time, looking forward to maybe hearing some of the CAP flights.

LEH

Premium Subscriber
Wow, I never realized that model aircraft operation was governed by the FAA. See the next to the last line of paragraph D in the NOTAM.

I do wish the best for all the new citizens who will sworn in that day.

Highpockets

Wow, I never realized that model aircraft operation was governed by the FAA. See the next to the last line of paragraph D in the NOTAM.

"who will sworn in that day" get the dozen eggs out of the fridge, for the face. You have been on a grammar kick lately. (from another thread) :D:D:D

gcgrotz

I know that the old Milton Field, which used to be the "UVA" airport is used a lot by model aircraft people, in addition to its other duty as a shooting range (Hmmm, maybe combine the 2 hobbies?). It hasn't been used as a 'real' airport in a long time. It is very close to Monticello.

Sorry I won't get to hear the fighters, it would be a treat for us out here in the boonies. I'll have the scanner going in case.

trainman111

The NOTAM is scheduled for 3 hours. It's possible that they will schedule fighters to do a CAP. You just never know with them sometimes I would program the frequencies just in case. It's better to be safe than sorry.

tglendye

Blue Ridge Mountains, Shenandoah River
Premium Subscriber
I logged some new talkgroups yesterday on STARS that I am assuming may be associated with the President's visit. I wasn't around the scanner at the time though, so I can't tag them. The TG's were 34, 35, 36, 84 & 56376.

I've heard TG 84 before and I believe it may be a surveillance tac. It seems to have at least part time encryption. TG's 34, 35 & 36 may be 3rd division, VSP (but I don't know). And I don't have a clue what 56376 would be.

I did get to the scanner after lunch and switched back and forth between the Charlottesville/ Albemarle system and STARS. I'm too far away... to listen to Charlottesville/ Albemarle my scanner needs the 800 ducky and to be setting on the kitchen window sill- which of course is the only place in the house the scanner will not recieve STARS.:roll:

gcgrotz

Most of the Albemarle ops I heard were on 14Green, analog. At the same time, the Scottsville parade was operating on fire training tg.

State PD seemed to be active on their car-car freqs and Appomattox 159.135. Most activity I heard was traffic control. I didn't listen to STARS thinking they didn't officially cover this division yet, and my only digital scanner was on Albemarle. I guess I should program the old PRO97 for the analog groups only, huh?

Even Marine One didn't say much on 132.850. They flew almost right over my house and landed at the high school about 2 miles from here. I did hear a CAPflight 1829 talking to Potomac Approach a couple of times.

The best thing was a voice id'ed as US Air Force on 121.5 trying to raise a Mooney near Gordonsville repeatedly warning him he was approaching a restricted area. The guy was headed at 220, right toward C'ville, squawking VFR. This went on from 10:45 until 11:08, I never heard an answer. I even heard Approach call him simultaneously (I had 3 radios going) on 132.850, 121.500, and 120.525 which is the alternate approach transmitter on Piney Mountain. Never heard a reply. I guess he will be getting a letter from the FAA.

When Marine One lifted at 11:21 and contacted Approach, the first thing the controller said was "Marine One, ident please". I have noticed that they never fly very high either, he was low and slow over town, 1000 to 1500 feet maybe. They had no more traffic until they were handed off to 124.650 at 11:36.

I just wish the idiots that were protesting had had enough brains to stay home. The first shouting started as the President first spoke. Daily Progress humor columnist Bryan McKenzie said it sounded something like "gammagobulin makes peach parchment paper interminable". Well said, Bryan. I heard it on the news and that's what it sounded like to me too.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.