AR8200D Pressing more then "Power" turns it on!!

Status
Not open for further replies.

PSqrd

Hi,

Would like to hear from other 8200D users about my problem.

I've owned a used AR8200MK3 for several months. I came across a very clean unblocked used D and bought it for the extra features.

In the process of handling it, I was turning it on by accident. Turns out pushing the four way rocker for more then ~ a second turns it on. AOR U.S. was no help.

I was also having problems engaging the new functions (ultimately resolved - didn't understand the instructions). I decided to do a CPU reset - hold down Clear while powering up. I pressed Clear, and before I could press Power, it turned on. After another five minutes, I had discovered that while off, holding any of the following buttons: four way switch "up" and F on the side and every button in the first column of the keypad (including SRCH) turned the radio on. All, including Power acted normally with the radio on - only holding Power would turn the radio off.

I wrote AOR U.S. about this - no answer yet.

The only other observation is my 8200 MK3 doesn't do this.

I haven't found any comments on the WEB, so wanted to ask if any 8200D owners have / haven't seen this - would appreciate hearing from you. And if you have one and haven't noticed, could you try and let me know either way.

It seems like a software / firmware issue. Harder to imagine a hardware cause.

Functionality otherwise seems normal - so no a serious issue. Worst thing is it coming on by accident from the "up" button on the side - it seems more prone to accidental activation.

Thanks!

Pete

SigIntel8600

Communications Receiver Nut
Premium Subscriber
Hi,

I've owned a used AR8200MK3 for several months. I came across a very clean unblocked used D and bought it for the extra features.

In the process of handling it, I was turning it on by accident. Turns out pushing the four way rocker for more then ~ a second turns it on. AOR U.S. was no help.

I was also having problems engaging the new functions (ultimately resolved - didn't understand the instructions). I decided to do a CPU reset - hold down Clear while powering up. I pressed Clear, and before I could press Power, it turned on. After another five minutes, I had discovered that while off, holding any of the following buttons: four way switch "up" and F on the side and every button in the first column of the keypad (including SRCH) turned the radio on. All, including Power acted normally with the radio on - only holding Power would turn the radio off.

I haven't found any comments on the WEB, so wanted to ask if any 8200D owners have / haven't seen this - would appreciate hearing from you. And if you have one and haven't noticed, could you try and let me know either way.

Functionality otherwise seems normal - so no a serious issue. Worst thing is it coming on by accident from the "up" button on the side - it seems more prone to accidental activation.

Thanks!

Pete

Hi Pete,

my 8200D doesn't turn on with the rocker switch. I just tried it.

PSqrd

Thanks again. No reply yet from Japan via AOR US. I wrote AOR UK - they haven't heard any complaints.

Ubbe

The buttons for function, search, clear, pass, sp-ana, power and up are all part of the same line in the keypad matrix.
There's a service bulletin about diod 520 that are so close to a screening shield that it might shortcircuit and could probably cause the problem you have.

/Ubbe

PSqrd

Dear Ubbe,

Thank you - FANTASTIC!

I ordered the service manual (not here yet) but see you included a section of the schematic. I don't see my specific complaint in the description, but components / traces in common with all the buttons causing my problem are suspect. I'll proceed after the manual arrives and post my results.

Interesting (in light of their response) that this document is tagged AOR UK.

Pete

Ubbe

The service manual are in the ar8200 forum, or perhaps the AR8000 forum, that now are moved to groups.io
or at least the schematics are there.

When you take your scanner apart I would first inspect the connector that goes to the keypad and then reseat it.
You then should check how close that D520 diod are to the ground shield and bend it out of they way, as per the bulletin.

/Ubbe

PSqrd

Ubbe,

The diode that you mentioned is in the F button circuit, but I'm not having a problem with the F button.

When the radio is on, it responds correctly to all of the buttons on that one line. All those buttons have an extended press function, and those responses are also correct.

So the mystery is why an extended press on buttons on that line - other than the power button - will turn the radio on.

Even the power on reset functions works. To do it, you press and hold the clear button while you press the Power button. You continue holding until you get a normal display. If you press the clear button and then quickly, press the power button before the clear button by itself turns the radio on, it does the reset.

AND - if you press an hold the clear for extra long - it also does the reset. All the other buttons that shouldn't turn the radio on, only turn it on - but don't reset the CPU.

So I will hold off opening the radio until I can think of some issue other then firmware - that might account for this behavior.

I'll post if I have any updates.

Pete

Ubbe

The diod are isolaing the F button from the other buttons. It depend of which pin of the double diod that gets in contact with ground.
It could be something totally different, something shorting the flexcable, use a brush to clean it, or a button stuck on the keypad.
But as there's a service bulletin of a problem in that exact line of the keypad matrix I would bend that metal piece out of the way as the first attempt before doing anything else.

The bulletin had a very detailed description of how to take the scanner apart, so just follow that.

/Ubbe

Fast1eddie

Pete, I am unable to duplicate your symptoms. Your logic board is most likely the problem; mine sorta went brain dead back in the fall, just very erratic operation with some keys allowing some functions and others did not.

Sent mine out to AOR, the logic board was replaced and the radio realigned. It works better than new!

My out of warranty cost was $ 200 something; AOR sends broken product to the AOR factory in Japan. Turn around will take some time.

Good Signals,

Ed

G7PPT

Hi,

Thanks!

Pete
I have an 8200D and have tried to replicate what you have reported, mine is ok

Status
Not open for further replies.