Prgograming

scannerprogrammingofLvKs

Premium Subscriber
If i used my computer to program BCD396XT & later on i decide to redo the BCD396XT scanner that i programed with my computer BUT reprogram it MANUALLY will the software i used let me program it manually ?

tvengr

Well Known Member
Yes! You can program the scanner manually using software. Make sure that you save the existing files before starting over in case you want to reload the previous programming. Save the new files with different names. What software are you using?

tvengr

Well Known Member
ProScan, and now I won't use anything else.
For the 96xts I would suggest Bob's Proscan, super useful, pay once and youre gtg
For the BCD396XT, you can also use FreeSCAN and it is Free! Downloads - Sixspot Software FreeSCAN does not support DMR or NXDN but then neither does the BCD396XT. I use Butel ARC-XT Basic for my BCD396XT, BCD996XT, BCD325P2, and BCD996P2. Both ARC-XT and ProScan have a free trial period for you to decide which one you like better.

scannerprogrammingofLvKs

Premium Subscriber
Yes! You can program the scanner manually using software. Make sure that you save the existing files before starting over in case you want to reload the previous programming. Save the new files with different names. What software are you using?
What i need to know is after the scanner (trunk tracker iv ) that has been programed with a software on the computer & if i reset the scanner back to default settings & i then program the scanner by hand manually, WILL the scanner work ? i was told it would not work because it was programed by a software to start with, is that true ?

fxdscon

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Premium Subscriber
i was told it would not work because it was programed by a software to start with, is that true ?
Someone gave you some bad information, that's not true at all. Once the program data is in the scanner, the scanner doesn't know or care how the data was entered. You can fully program with software, reset the scanner and fully program manually.... or vice-versa.

And also... If you program completely by software, you can then tweak what is already in the scanner by manually making program changes to that data through the scanner's on-screen menu system. Conversely, you could also start from scratch with manual programming, then download all that data into a software program and make changes to it, and upload it back to the scanner. It makes absolutely no difference at all.

All that being said, it's far easier, faster, and much less error-prone to use software for programming... Plus, the software can keep a copy of your programming as a backup. I also highly recommend ProScan for programming software.

ka3aaa

Premium Subscriber
why would you program the scanner with software, then reset it back to factory defaults, then program the scanner manually, that doesnt make any sence, otherwise you must be a glutton for punishment or have to much time on your hands.

scannerprogrammingofLvKs

Premium Subscriber
why would you program the scanner with software, then reset it back to factory defaults, then program the scanner manually, that doesnt make any sence, otherwise you must be a glutton for punishment or have to much time on your hands.
I for one have NEVER used software to program any scanners, i have always done it manually by hand, the scanner i am referring to belongs to a friend & he bought it from Radio Shack when they were in business, my friend wanted the scanner ( Trunk Tracker iv ) up dated, he had all conventional channels in it, SO i reset it to default to reprogram it & when i got done it would not talk or work.

ka3jjz

Wiki Admin Emeritus
Ah, there's the key. You can't program a Radio shack scanner the same way you do an Uniden. The 2 use very different programming schemes. You didn't say which RS scanner you were trying to program, but we have a lot of help in the wiki (and you can find lots of YouTube videos) on the subject

Mike

fxdscon

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Premium Subscriber
Ah, there's the key. You can't program a Radio shack scanner the same way you do an Uniden. The 2 use very different programming schemes. You didn't say which RS scanner you were trying to program, but we have a lot of help in the wiki (and you can find lots of YouTube videos) on the subject

Mike
The OP's last post referencing Radio Shack did make it a little confusing, but I believe he is talking about a Uniden BCD396XT as in the title tag and references to "Trunk Tracker IV" in his other posts.

Reactions: wtp

dave3825

Premium Subscriber
Ah, there's the key. You can't program a Radio shack scanner the same way you do an Uniden.
Pretty sure the scanner in question is the BCD396XT and the neighbor purchased it back in the day at Radio Shack.

Pretty sure I remember them selling Uniden back then but today they seem to be out of stock on just about every scanner.

1678982054102.png

fxdscon

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Premium Subscriber
my friend wanted the scanner ( Trunk Tracker iv ) up dated, he had all conventional channels in it, SO i reset it to default to reprogram it & when i got done it would not talk or work.
-
What specific systems are you trying to program? Let us know the state, county, city, and specific systems that you are interested in... it's possible that it might now be something that the BCD396XT can't monitor.

tvengr

Well Known Member
What i need to know is after the scanner (trunk tracker iv ) that has been programed with a software on the computer & if i reset the scanner back to default settings & i then program the scanner by hand manually, WILL the scanner work ? i was told it would not work because it was programed by a software to start with, is that true ?
A scanner can be programmed by software or manually at any time. It doesn't care how it is programmed. The information given to you is absolutely incorrect. If you program a scanner manually after it was programmed using software, it will work provided it is programmed correctly. I have programmed large systems manually and I wish I hadn't. It is so much faster and easier using software. I wore out the scroll control on a BC296D entering characters for alpha tags. Several of the analog Radio Shack scanners were made my Uniden. The Radio Shack PRO-106 and PRO-197 digital scanners were made by GRE. After buying the rights from GRE, Whisler made the rebranded Radio Shack PRO-651 and PRO-652 using the same design. Please let us know the model of your friend's scanner and his/her city, county, and state and which agencies he/she wishes to monitor. Trunktracker IV is a Uniden trademark.

wtp

i set up the wife's 325P2 on a 700 P2 system.
set up the freqs by hand
set up all 4 talkgroups she wanted.
our system uses 4 talkgroups for sheriff dispatch 1,2,3,4 it was pretty easy.
talkgroup number 1 says "DISP 1" and so on. and it is on ID SCAN.
it just depends what you want from your radio.
but my radio is on ID SEARCH to pick up the other stuff.

dave3825

Premium Subscriber
While software is the way to go, I still keep up with knowing how to program my radios by hand in the event I am somewhere without scanner software and need to add or change something.