Pro-668: Price increase for 668 and Pro 18

Status
Not open for further replies.

Blackswan73

Due to the recent DMR upgrade for these radios, look for a sharp increase for these on the secondary market. If you are in the market, buy now. You can still find very attractive bargains. As the word gets out, the demand for these radios will increase, and so will the price.

ka3jjz

Wiki Admin Emeritus
This is not logical. Since these radios can't be upgraded for DMR, NXDN nor ProVoice (at least, not yet), I suspect the prices will actually drop, not rise, since the demand will likely decrease as the other radios dominate the market.

Mike

Blackswan73

This is not logical. Since these radios can't be upgraded for DMR, NXDN nor ProVoice (at least, not yet), I suspect the prices will actually drop, not rise, since the demand will likely decrease as the other radios dominate the market.

Mike
They can, and are being upgraded. 668 will now decode DMR, and the Pro 18 has been upgraded to decode phase 2 and DMR. Both unofficially of course.

ka3jjz

Wiki Admin Emeritus
If someone wanted to make a stink about it, the individual who distributes these changes could be in a world of hurt. Personally speaking, it's a fascinating exercise, but fraught with potential legal issues.

Mike

NC1

I wouldn't buy either. Whistler won't support them even though they are the manufacturer.

Actually, I'm not buying anything until all the dust settles and I can purchase a scanner that won't be outdated in 6 months.

If there were ongoing support for the RS branded scanner, I would strongly consider it, but as it stands right now the money is staying in my pocket.

ka3jjz

Wiki Admin Emeritus
The PRO-18 is not a Whistler product - it was a copy of the PSR-800 with less features. As it came out roughly about the time the PSR-800 did, I would think it's a GRE clone with features stripped out enough to make it 'different'.

Mike

Blackswan73

If someone wanted to make a stink about it, the individual who distributes these changes could be in a world of hurt. Personally speaking, it's a fascinating exercise, but fraught with potential legal issues.

Mike
Don't really think so. No different than using Wine or the Mac app to run Windows software without modifications to the original software, just emulating the product the software was intended for. But we are getting off topic for this thread. Still I believe the EZ Scan software currently available from Whistler website will soon be updated. To DSP 3.1

Last edited by a moderator:

scosgt

I think the Courts have ruled that it is legal to jailbreak your iPhone, so there is nothing that Whistler can do about it.
OTOH they will probably quickly upgrade to a DSP that breaks the upgrade.

EricCottrell

Premium Subscriber
Hello,

I noticed some sellers offering other brands of radios new for more that even suggested retail price. It will be interesting if this trend continues or it is just a few sellers.

I consider my tool as a way to extend the life of basically unsupported radios that users just happen to have laying around. The eBay buyer is still buying an unsupported scanner. If the price gets too high, then the money is better spent on a supported Whistler scanner. The WS-1080 is discontinued and I noticed eBay prices on the WS-1080 are more than some dealers. Buyers need to do research and weigh the options.

73 Eric

NYG

I still have a new in box 668 from the RS fire sale. I bought a number of them for $99 and resold a few on eBay. I kept two for myself and have just been using one of them.

I was debating selling both of them and buying something else. The 668 has just become much more fun to play with though.

scosgt

I also have a new one left over. I did the upgrade and no sense in selling it, other than the keyboard it is exactly the same as the current Whistler offering aside from the TRX-1. Not even sure if it would pay to drop $500 on a -1 just to get NEXDEN, since we already have everything else.

marcotor

I ♥ÆS Ø
Feed Provider
I wouldn't buy either. Whistler won't support them even though they are the manufacturer.

Did it ever occur to you Whistler CANNOT "support" the 668 because of contractual obligations? They MANUFACTURED the device, yes. But the *software* that runs the device is the Intellectual property of Radio Shack, and it's succeeding companies.

DonS (you know, the person who produced the software) has commented on this multiple times, across multiple threads, yet you still try to blame Whistler.

If your Kenmore washer fails, do you expect Whrilpool to fix it? After all, they manufactured it.

NC1

Did it ever occur to you Whistler CANNOT "support" the 668 because of contractual obligations?

I have yet to see the wording in the contract and have it be a fact, so far it is pure speculation from what I have seen.

Even if true, the "contract" excuse is flimsy at best. One of the companies simply does not *want* to - and right there is the problem. Both parties can nullify that portion of the contract, or simply add an addendum that would benefit the customer.

It would be win/win for both companies in the eyes of the consumer. Contracts are changed all the time when there are new circumstances coming to light. It could probably be done with just a few phone calls and finished in a week.

All I'm saying is that it can be worked out, but it appears that is not happening.

Wackyracer

Premium Subscriber
I have yet to see the wording in the contract and have it be a fact, so far it is pure speculation from what I have seen.

Even if true, the "contract" excuse is flimsy at best. One of the companies simply does not *want* to - and right there is the problem. Both parties can nullify that portion of the contract, or simply add an addendum that would benefit the customer.

It would be win/win for both companies in the eyes of the consumer. Contracts are changed all the time when there are new circumstances coming to light. It could probably be done with just a few phone calls and finished in a week.

All I'm saying is that it can be worked out, but it appears that is not happening.

It probably involves money, one company wants it and the other doesn't want to spend it!!!

CycleSycho

:confused: People have NO IDEA what terms are in corporate contracts. Lawyers review every word and phrase (both parties). You can BET every protection is inclusive. One of many posts mentions $, that is one of the issues. The other is interest in doing it from ONE or BOTH parties. Unless the specific contracts are leaked, and any talk papers involved in (any, if happened) discussions about updating the 668, only then can ANYONE in this forum know why it isn't going to happen OR not happened yet. All this conjecture is mental masturbation as a minimum. :confused:

Paco-Jerte

You Member, Member!
Due to the recent DMR upgrade for these radios, look for a sharp increase for these on the secondary market. If you are in the market, buy now. You can still find very attractive bargains. As the word gets out, the demand for these radios will increase, and so will the price.

true but some are still selling cheap on craigslist. One guy I traded with said he didn't like his scanner with no keypad. Traded his Pro-668 for a Pro-106 straight up. I paid $79.99 for the pro-106 5 yrs ago so got a deal on the 668.

This was about a week ago.

You can still find deals if you know where to look

Status
Not open for further replies.