BCD396XT/BCD996XT: Prigramming cable

Status
Not open for further replies.

SCPD

QRT
I an new to the 996XT, is there any technical reason not to leave the programming cable attached to the front port?. The scanner is stationary and it seems constantly plugging and unplugging the cable may wear down the connector. I am constantly making programming changes and would like to leave it in. Anyone else do just that?.

Thanks

W8RMH

Feed Provider Since 2012
I leave mine plugged in 24/7. It supplies the data to my computer for my feed's alpha tags. I occasionally unplug it to program another scanner.

You can also remotely control your scanner with your computer through that connection using FreeScan.

eaf1956

Feed Provider
Data Cables

I an new to the 996XT, is there any technical reason not to leave the programming cable attached to the front port?. The scanner is stationary and it seems constantly plugging and unplugging the cable may wear down the connector. I am constantly making programming changes and would like to leave it in. Anyone else do just that?.

Thanks

It won't hurt it anything. I use the rear port cause it keeps cables out of the way.

Tazworld

So you can use Rear port to Prg an Control scanner also ?? I thought that was just for GPS use only. Hmmmm.... Guess if thats true learned something new about the 996xt..

ka3jjz

Wiki Admin Emeritus
The only thing you can't do with the rear port is load new firmware fixes...otherwise I THINK you need a null modem adapter to use the rear port as your control point. Please someone correct this if I'm wrong...Mike

Status
Not open for further replies.