Prince Georges County Digital?

Status
Not open for further replies.

DickH

A friend in the area said a fiend of his, a Motorola Tech., told him P.G. was going digital on 700MHz and no scanner can monitor it. Sounds fishy to me, unless he means the deadly "E" word, encryption. Anyone?

ka3jjz

Wiki Admin Emeritus
Last I heard, and this is far from gospel truth, I understand they're going to use a protocol that scanners are not equipped to handle - perhaps VSELP. I don't recall the exact details. 73 Mike

DickH

Last I heard, and this is far from gospel truth, I understand they're going to use a protocol that scanners are not equipped to handle - perhaps VSELP. I don't recall the exact details. 73 Mike

Thanks Mike. That sort of confirms what he heard. I wonder if that will work with the standard digital systems around the area? Perhaps they can switch the VSELP (or whatever) on and off?

dtscho

Database Admin
In a discussion of this a few months ago, I believe someone said that the system may be Project 25 Phase II. This phase of P25 uses a TDMA protocol, which no scanner can monitor yet. (The "true" P25 systems in use today are P25 Phase I.)

If Prince George's does go with Phase II, I think they would be one of the first (if not the first) agencies to use that standard.

Dave

ka3jjz

Wiki Admin Emeritus
Thanks for the info Dave. Hopefully there will be scanners that can handle Phase 2 in the future...73 Mike

troymail

Silent Key
In a discussion of this a few months ago, I believe someone said that the system may be Project 25 Phase II. This phase of P25 uses a TDMA protocol, which no scanner can monitor yet. (The "true" P25 systems in use today are P25 Phase I.)

If Prince George's does go with Phase II, I think they would be one of the first (if not the first) agencies to use that standard.

Dave

I think I heard this too a while back from a good, reliable source....

Status
Not open for further replies.