Premium Subscriber
Still Hearing Prince William County police on my SDS200

Attachments

• 20210103_112322.jpg
    20210103_112322.jpg
    70.6 KB · Views: 53

leonzo

Premium Subscriber
All I can say publicly is, this is going to happen. While there has been a push back on the date, it is not an idea or possibility ., it is 100% going to happen. Same with Manassas City and Manassas Park PD's. Citizens reference those last two probably still have a chance to object through their elected officials but as for the County, its a done deal.

jthacker111

Premium Subscriber
All I can say publicly is, this is going to happen. While there has been a push back on the date, it is not an idea or possibility ., it is 100% going to happen. Same with Manassas City and Manassas Park PD's. Citizens reference those last two probably still have a chance to object through their elected officials but as for the County, its a done deal.
I appreciate that information. I have reached out to one of the members of the Prince Willam BOCS and asked if there was anyone that I could speak with and voice my concerns. Unfortunately, I haven't heard back. Do you happen to know of anyone in the area I could maybe call or email?

Here is Prince William, we are going to be getting a new chief - as I'm sure you're aware of. The county's decision to switch to full encryption will not be a good look for the new chief. Even if he had little or nothing to do with the decision.

Thank you in advance for any information you may be able to send my way. I appreciate it!

leonzo

Premium Subscriber
With reference to the County I think the only person you could make an argument to would be the new chief. He seems to want to be viewed as accessible and listening to residents of the county. So I would suggest reaching out to him or his office as soon as possible. I would also suggest a strategy of getting him to commit to keeping "dispatch" in the clear. Trying to argue against all encryption is futile as there are obviously times law enforcement needs to encrypt. If you would like further strategies to use contact me directly through a private message or my personal email address of Leonzo@hotmail.com.

jthacker111

Premium Subscriber
With reference to the County I think the only person you could make an argument to would be the new chief. He seems to want to be viewed as accessible and listening to residents of the county. So I would suggest reaching out to him or his office as soon as possible. I would also suggest a strategy of getting him to commit to keeping "dispatch" in the clear. Trying to argue against all encryption is futile as there are obviously times law enforcement needs to encrypt. If you would like further strategies to use contact me directly through a private message or my personal email address of Leonzo@hotmail.com.
Thank you! I'll send you an email today. It seems as though it may be to late. They have switched to full encryption on the police channels today. Which is also the new chief's first day.

johnrockie

Feed Provider
Hearing police traffic on the old channels again, looking at my trunk recorder it appears that the new channels and old are patched together as they both start up at the exact time , anyone know anything? There’s still a lot of encrypted traffic, looks like training channels.2D12BA7D-C9A4-4DF2-B5DB-5F915A67D856.png

jthacker111

Premium Subscriber
Hearing police traffic on the old channels again, looking at my trunk recorder it appears that the new channels and old are patched together as they both start up at the exact time , anyone know anything? There’s still a lot of encrypted traffic, looks like training channels.View attachment 98355
That's what I'm hearing and seeing as well. The past two days they had it totally encrypted and couldn't hear anything. Just last night ( not sure what time exactly) they started patching the encrypted to the old talk groups. Thus, allowing for monitoring the dispatch channels. I did notice that they have kept full encryption on the 'ADMIN" channel that use to be open. No complaints from me on that. With the info they run on that channel, I'm surprised it wasn't encrypted before.

I have never heard of a system that has full encryption but patches it to non-encrypted before. That's new to me. I'm just happy to be listening again.

fredva

Feed Provider
That's what I'm hearing and seeing as well. The past two days they had it totally encrypted and couldn't hear anything. Just last night ( not sure what time exactly) they started patching the encrypted to the old talk groups. Thus, allowing for monitoring the dispatch channels. I did notice that they have kept full encryption on the 'ADMIN" channel that use to be open. No complaints from me on that. With the info they run on that channel, I'm surprised it wasn't encrypted before.

I have never heard of a system that has full encryption but patches it to non-encrypted before. That's new to me. I'm just happy to be listening again.
Two possibilities come to mind: The patches are temporary while they work out some issue with encryption (maybe a few radios haven't gotten the encryption keys?). Or they changed their mind and have provided patches to open channels while they work on undoing the encryption. Not to be negative, but the first option seems more likely. It doesn't really make sense to apply encryption and then defeat the purpose in the long run.

dlp85x

It seemed that PWC PD was fully encrypted again for about an hour and a half this morning, but it is back to being unencrypted (including the admin channel, which was encrypted all week). FWIW, before today I only heard silence when the encrypted channels would pop up, but now I am hearing that mixed in with garbled speech. One officer earlier today asked dispatch if he was on "the old channel or the new one," but I didn't catch the response. Although I don't know what will happen, I figure PD will be fully encrypted soon, as there's a news article online that quotes the department spokesman saying that encryption has been in the works since 9/11 and that residents can follow their social media channels for updates. I just hope PWC FD stays in the clear. Several regional agencies have PD encrypted but their FD isn't, so there's hope.

Last edited:

turnpike61

Ham and Electronics hobbyist since 1977.
Premium Subscriber
It appears the move to Encryption in Prince William County is complete. Nothing in the clear (that I've noticed) for several days here on any PWPD channels.

kg4icg

Crazy Trucking Mechanic
Premium Subscriber
Using Proscan on a Uniden SDS 200, logging all the transmissions, call from central dispatch just now I heard

Attachments

• Screenshot 2021-04-18 121623.png
    Screenshot 2021-04-18 121623.png
    185.5 KB · Views: 15

turnpike61

Premium Subscriber
Thanks. I will switch my SDS200 back. I've been listening in the shack on a P25RX, and have not heard anything recently.

turnpike61

Premium Subscriber
Validated; still unencrypted. Interesting note is that if you download the RR DSD talkgroup list and load it into the P25RX, you will get no action on PW because the DSD list has two TG's listed for each PW service. One is "normal" and the other has "ENC" as a notation. I think those were blocking my P25RX, because once deleted, I am hearing PW again.

Thanks for weighing in and correcting me KG4ICG! Much appreciated.

K2PI

Status
Not open for further replies.