Printable Shortwave Band Chart?

Status
Not open for further replies.

IndyRick

Hey Everyone...I did a search for "Shortwave Band Chart" and there are a few out there. What ones do YOU use to post in the shack? Anyone recommend a good, concise one that can be downloaded and/or printed?

Thanks,

Rick N9GSU

IndyRick

I should've been more specific. I've got that one hanging in my shack...I was looking for something similar for Shortwave Broadcast. :)

scanchs

Hey Everyone...I did a search for "Shortwave Band Chart" and there are a few out there. What ones do YOU use to post in the shack? Anyone recommend a good, concise one that can be downloaded and/or printed?

Thanks,

Rick N9GSU

Rick (N9GSU),

This is what I have hanging on the wall above my radios -> http://www.ntia.doc.gov/osmhome/allochrt.pdf

To print it out large enough to read everything, you need to get access to a drafting plotter, and select an "E" size drawing (34" X 44").

I reference this chart a lot when I'm "scanning the bands". It may not be as concise as you had in mind for shortwave specifically, but it is very useful in identifying frequency allocation blocks in general. It definitely serves as a nice "tool in the box". 73 :)

ScanCHS

IndyRick

memorize it? Heck, fellas, I got far too much stuff in my head already.......well, some of you know. ;)

Scanchs....that sure is pretty! The XYL (KC9SPT) has access to one of them there newfangled plotter thingys. :)

kruser

Well Known Member
Premium Subscriber
Rick (N9GSU),

This is what I have hanging on the wall above my radios -> http://www.ntia.doc.gov/osmhome/allochrt.pdf

To print it out large enough to read everything, you need to get access to a drafting plotter, and select an "E" size drawing (34" X 44").

I reference this chart a lot when I'm "scanning the bands". It may not be as concise as you had in mind for shortwave specifically, but it is very useful in identifying frequency allocation blocks in general. It definitely serves as a nice "tool in the box". 73 :)

ScanCHS

Any idea where one could purchase one of these already printed in full color and in the size you mentioned or larger?
I tried searching the various government sites but became lost quickly in the maze!

I have a design firm working on a very large project at work so I guess I can ask if they will make me one as I know they have the capability from other charts and blueprints they have produced. I'd rather buy my own though as it looks like they may be about ready to release a new version soon.

ridgescan

I wish I had room on my wall for that. When you DX as much as I do you sort of remember what stations are where when-but that thing would look nice.

kruser

Well Known Member
Premium Subscriber
I wish I had room on my wall for that. When you DX as much as I do you sort of remember what stations are where when-but that thing would look nice.

Same here so I compromised!
What I did was go and get myself this huge pull down map of Missouri. It is just like the big pull down things like a roll up window shade like we had back in school days that pulled down in front of the chalk boards. Do they even have those in schools any longer?
I mounted a pocket on the ceiling that hides the rolls when they are up plus the pocket does double duty by housing and hiding a 4 foot fluorescent lamp that shines down on the maps when I have one pulled down. I originally wanted to backlight them but that proved hard given that some maps were more dense than others. It looked cool for the ones it worked with though!
The lamp from the front works well for most maps but one is harder to see from reflections. They all look really cool when I have the room lighting turned down though. I now have a world map, the entire USA as well as Illinois and Missouri state maps. Each map is about 66 inches wide by 48 tall except the Illinois map which is as wide as the others but 60 tall.
I actually have the whole thing down right now as I had to make the pocket bigger for the world and Illinois maps.
I built the thing for an HDTV projector but never mounted the projection screen when I came up with the map idea!
Radio seems to have a higher priority here ;)

scanchs

Any idea where one could purchase one of these already printed in full color and in the size you mentioned or larger?
I tried searching the various government sites but became lost quickly in the maze!

I have a design firm working on a very large project at work so I guess I can ask if they will make me one as I know they have the capability from other charts and blueprints they have produced. I'd rather buy my own though as it looks like they may be about ready to release a new version soon.

kruser,

I've never tried to buy one before as I've always had access to a plotter, so I did a quick google search and found a link, but the biggest poster they sell is only "D" size (22" X 34") and they want $19.95 for that one. Here's the link -> US radio frequency allocation chart Poster from Zazzle.com

The thing is, I don't know how easy it would be to read. The "E" size poster I have is just about the right size for reading. For $20 you ought to be able to go to any local engineering firm where you live and ask them to print an "E" size drawing of the chart from the PDF file. They'll probably do it for less than $20 if you let them name the price. Hey, if you're really nice to them, they might even do it for free... :)

ScanCHS

dugan

The north shore of Lake Erie. The Great Lake that
kruser,

They'll probably do it for less than $20 if you let them name the price. Hey, if you're really nice to them, they might even do it for free... :)

ScanCHS

I remember walking into a paint shop with a one of a kind metal frame that I wanted powder painted. I thought it was going to cost quite a bit. After got talking with the owner and he saw that it was something I had made, was not going to be resold. They were running the color I wanted later that day, so he put it through with another job. In the end it was a fine job and he wouldn't take any money for it.

Dugan

Status
Not open for further replies.