• Effective immediately we will be deleting, without notice, any negative threads or posts that deal with the use of encryption and streaming of scanner audio.

We've noticed a huge increase in rants and negative posts that revolve around agencies going to encryption due to the broadcasting of scanner audio on the internet. It's now worn out and continues to be the same recycled rants. These rants hijack the threads and derail the conversation. They no longer have a place anywhere on this forum other than in the designated threads in the Rants forum in the Tavern.

If you violate these guidelines your post will be deleted without notice and an infraction will be issued. We are not against discussion of this issue. You just need to do it in the right place. For example:
    https://forums.radioreference.com/rants/224104-official-thread-live-audio-feeds-scanners-wait-encryption.html

Priorities Screwed Up?

Status
Not open for further replies.

jmp883

Sitting here in the radio room, it's almost the end of a 12-hour shift and we're watching the early morning news. One of the local news stories is that NY just passed a law to allow beer/liqour sales BEFORE 12pm on a Sunday! According to one of the lawmakers the law was passed to ease the inconvenience to people who were having parties or picnics on Sundays and needed beer or liquor.

I'm sorry......plan ahead and get your beverages the day before or wait til noon on Sunday. If waiting until noon is that much of an inconvenience, I'm coming to your next party or picnic. You must throw one hell of a bash! :D

I'm not a NY resident, I live in NJ, but I'll bet the majority of NY voters have more important issues that they want their elected officials working on.

jmp883

Proof that there is something good in everything.......

Phil Smith wrote:

I guess this is good also, in case the Parish runs out of wine right before mass :D
Can't argue with that.....:D

An example of a "Blue Law." Obviously, this is legislation that codifies into law one particular religious sect's moral views on everyone else, whether they subscribe to that religious sect's views or not. Clearly illegal, Constitutionally. Good for NY in correcting this and repealing the law.

Highlander_821 said:
An example of a "Blue Law." Obviously, this is legislation that codifies into law one particular religious sect's moral views on everyone else, whether they subscribe to that religious sect's views or not. Clearly illegal, Constitutionally. Good for NY in correcting this and repealing the law.
Roger that!

And proabition does not work.

kd7rto

Highlander_821 said:
Ridiculous. Religion cannot be imposed, but values can. The law is nothing more than a set of values.

Just as working or shopping on the sabbath (observed on Sunday in our culture) violates one of the Ten Commandments, so do killing, stealing, and making false accusations. Are laws against these immoral behaviors unconstitutional too? France is a more secular society than ours, yet on Sunday most businesses are closed.

Religious or not, few people enjoy having to work on Sunday. So I say let's give me, you, and the clerk at the liquor store a break, and bring back blue laws.

Last edited:

kd7rto

1075 said:
And proabition does not work.
Agreed. But completely banning liquor was a much bigger imposition than expecting people to buy their hooch for Sunday the day before. Give the liquor store clerk a break, and let him have Sunday off. It's not that big a deal.

N

N_Jay

n6orz said:
Agreed. But completely banning liquor was a much bigger imposition than expecting people to buy their hooch for Sunday the day before. Give the liquor store clerk a break, and let him have Sunday off. It's not that big a deal.
Why don't we bring back all the blue laws. :lol: :lol: :lol:

(PA was so bad that a check dated on Sunday was invalid!)

n6orz said:
Ridiculous. Religion cannot be imposed, but values can. The law is nothing more than a set of values.

Just as working or shopping on the sabbath (observed on Sunday in our culture) violates one of the Ten Commandments, so do killing, stealing, and making false accusations.
So every time that I work a tour on Sundays in the Fire Department I am violating one of the Ten Commandments?

N

N_Jay

1075 said:
So every time that I work a tour on Sundays in the Fire Department I am violating one of the Ten Commandments?

Only if you are a fundamental Christian :wink:

N_Jay said:
Only if you are a fundamental Christian :wink:

So if I am following the logic correctly a fundamental Christian would not dial 911 on a Sunday because the 911 operator/dispatcher is working on the Sabbath, as well as the cops & firemen?

Or do these values just pertain to certain things that are considered "evil"?

jmp883

This thread was NOT meant to be a debate of the Blue Laws.

I DON'T care if the Blue Laws were a factor in the writing of the law or not...that's not the point.

I posted the original news story to show that with all the real problems lawmakers have to deal with (and should be dealing with) they choose to write and enact laws that make them look like they're actually working for their constituents.

Maybe it's because they have to be responsible for the actions of those who don't accept responsibility for their actions anymore, I don't know. Maybe it's because these types of laws can be written and passed with minimal friction from fellow lawmakers and constituents.

NJ passed one of those laws recently:

When it rains and you're using your windshield wipers you must have your headlights on.

It is a good idea, it improves visibility in bad weather. However, I don't need a law to tell me to do it. I also don't need a law to tell me to wear my seat belt when driving my truck, or wear my helmet when riding my motorcycle. Common sense should prevail. Unfortunately, because many people no longer accept responsibility for their actions, or inactions, laws like this get written and passed. I don't want to debate whether acting as our 'parents' is the responsibility of our elected officials. The point I was trying to make is that our lawmakers have bigger, more serious, issues to contend with.

The website Bill2K posted makes my point for me as well. Granted, many of the laws on that website were passed decades ago and no longer 'valid' in this day and age, but by the same token there are many that are current.

Like the title of the thread says...I think our elected officials need to reevaluate their priorities.

That's all....:D

N

N_Jay

1075 said:
So if I am following the logic correctly a fundamental Christian would not dial 911 on a Sunday because the 911 operator/dispatcher is working on the Sabbath, as well as the cops & firemen?

All depends on just how much of a fundamentalist (nut-job) you are.:lol: :lol:

Signal3and2

Premium Subscriber
That sucks, we can buy alcohol any day of the week, except between 0200 and 0600.

kb2vxa

Completely Banned for the Greater Good
Banned
Hi >HIC< all,

I don't know if Joe is talking about the state or city but the city allows bars to remain open 23 hours every day. Usually they're only closed early in the morning for a spot cleaning, considering bar flies a spot is all they can manage in an hour. The alkies who need a continuous infusion can spend that hour in church on Sunday morning or a bit of take out in the park where the employess hastily use the NEXT hour cleaning up the mess before the kids arrive.

Like the radio and TV jingle goes, "I love New York." and then Sinatra sang "If you can drink it here, you can drink it anywhere, New York, NeWWW YOOOORK!" Mmmm "The piano sounds like a carnival and the microphone smells like a beer." Billy Joel is a New Yawkah! Oh, nearly forgot, "I woke up dis moaning and I got myself a BEEEAH!" Yeah, Morrison must have been a New Yawkah too, the slurred lyrics are a recorded testimonial. (;->)

HIC, BRRRAAAP, uuunnnggghhh...

cellblock776

kc0jar said:
That sucks, we can buy alcohol any day of the week, except between 0200 and 0600.
Why not between those hours? I work nights. I get off work and head home and I can't pick up a couple of beers to enjoy with my dinner as the sun comes up? What's up with that? Sounds like discrimination against night workers.

kd7rto

1075 said:

In Luke 14:1-6, the Savior establishes an exception to the sabbath for medical and other emergencies.

And I am not an Evangelical, rather, I belong to a faith which Evangelicals vehemently hate, as you will note from my location listed above.

n6orz said:

Just as working or shopping on the sabbath (observed on Sunday in our culture) violates one of the Ten Commandments, so do killing, stealing, and making false accusations. Are laws against these immoral behaviors unconstitutional too? France is a more secular society than ours, yet on Sunday most businesses are closed.

Religious or not, few people enjoy having to work on Sunday. So I say let's give me, you, and the clerk at the liquor store a break, and bring back blue laws.
No, laws against murder, theft and such have a RATIONAL basis, and an ethical case can be made for them on a secular basis, while the sabbath admonition is one particular religious sect's religious law. Legislating one particular sect's religious law into actual law is unconstitutional, it violates the first and fourteenth amedments, at a minimum.

Status
Not open for further replies.