Priority Channels In Talk Groups, 396T

Status
Not open for further replies.

ScannerWayne

Ok... I've looked in the manual, I've read through most of the threads here and searched elsewhere and have seen nothing on this particular problem.

I have the 396T, Firmware version 2.00.07. Updated the firmeware without any problems.

Priority channel selections in a trunked system. I have found no way to do such a thing. In conventional systems I have no problem in designating a priority channel.

Can anyone tell me how, in a trunked system, I can designate a priority channel(s)?

Thanks...

KI4LIV

Premium Subscriber
I hate that they did this to the 396T and 330T.

On my old BC785D I found a way to do it, but I don't think it was documented. You would have to be in ID hold mode on a talkgroup OTHER than that which has priority within the scan list. Then if something came up on the priority talkgroup it would jump over to that one.

I really miss this capability though. Damned shame that they stripped it.

kennyloatman

Premium Subscriber
I hate that they did this to the 396T and 330T.

On my old BC785D I found a way to do it, but I don't think it was documented. You would have to be in ID hold mode on a talkgroup OTHER than that which has priority within the scan list. Then if something came up on the priority talkgroup it would jump over to that one.

I really miss this capability though. Damned shame that they stripped it.

The priority also works on the 796D trunked systems. It samples the priority channel for activity everytime it goes back to the control channel between conversations.

KI4LIV

Premium Subscriber
Still a shame that they removed this from the newest line of scanners. I used priority all the time with my older scanners.

rdale

Completely Banned for the Greater Good
Premium Subscriber
It really doesn't alter a whole lot... It doesn't do an interrupt like conventional channels or the PSR500.

rdale

Premium Subscriber
It would be doubtful since it has to interrogate the low-speed data flow on the voice channels, and that's more than just adding a few lines of code :)

KI4LIV

Premium Subscriber
I don't see what the big deal is honestly - the older scanners did it - why use what the older ones did as a base-line when making the new?

rdale

Premium Subscriber
The older scanners DIDN'T do priority. They simply checked for that talkgroup one more time. That really has no value.

powerhouse

I too couldn't believe it when I realized that you couldn't do this with the 396.
I had just finished setting up my psr500 with all of the priority channels I wanted,(both conventional and trunking talk groups), and tried to do the same with the 396. Why this seemingly basic feature/function is not included bewilders me.

KI4LIV

Premium Subscriber
The older scanners DIDN'T do priority. They simply checked for that talkgroup one more time. That really has no value.

They allowed you to "Park" on a talkgroup that wasn't priority, and still checked the other talkgroup that was set to priority for traffic on a repeating interval.

Call it priority, call it picking your nose, call it what you will, I don't care what you call it - it's something that the older scanners had that was a useful functionality.

Status
Not open for further replies.