Priority Channels not working.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Mrthor3232

Premium Subscriber
In my favorites list I have set some conventional and some digital channels for my priority scans. I only can get one conventional channel to work. I double check the settings but it will not do my other channels that were set to priority. Can someone please help.

ofd8001

Premium Subscriber
Is the MaxChannels set appropriately? The default is 100, but sometimes this could be inadvertently changed to 1.

Are the channels marked for being priority channels being received otherwise? (They could be in departments that are avoided, or the channels themselves could be avoided).

I don't do much conventional priority scanning, so I don't know all the ins and outs - these are some things that come to mind, however.

gn32772

Premium Subscriber
Hi. I have a related question to this thread. Can channels/systems that are in the full database be set for priority scanning, or do they have to be in a favorites list? (I'm talking about doing this on the scanner, not in Sentinel.) Thanks.

Voyager

I think you can only set the PRI for the FL channels, as I don't think you can edit the main dB.

kb8rvp

BCD536HP Priority Channels not working

I have the 436 and 536HP scanners. I have never been able to get the priority to work when scanning a P25 Digital system. I have some talk groups set to priority and when scanning it never switches to a priority channel but if I hold on a talk group it will switch if one of the priority channels so it works only when you hold on a talk group so that does work.

Good Luck
Mike

Voyager

They may not be designated as priority channels by the system admin.

ofd8001

Premium Subscriber
The PRI flashing in the corner is only applicable to "Priority Scan" on conventional systems. For P25 trunked systems, it is a whole new creature which is called "Priority ID Scan" and it is much different than conventional priority scanning. You can do Priority ID Scan without having the conventional "Priority Scan" turned on.

There are Motorola trunked radio systems that are NOT P25 systems. As Voyager mentioned, these systems can have certain channels established by the system administrator as priority channels. For you to use this, you would use a third type of priority setting, which is "Preemptive Priority ID Scanning". For this to function, you'd have to flag the channel on your scanner and that channel would have to be one of those system priority channels. However this is a little different that P25 priority.

Our local system is a P25 trunked system. I do use Priority ID Scan for this. Here are some of the things I've observed:

Several of my fire channels are flagged as priority channels. I can be holding on a silent police channel and if one of those priority fire channels becomes active, the scanner will "jump" to that fire channel. If there is a break in active transmissions on the police channel, such as between the time the officer calls the dispatcher and the dispatcher answers, a fire channel becomes active, it will "jump" to that priority fire channel.

Mrthor3232

Premium Subscriber
With the 536 and 436 The global priority works on conventional channels only. The P25 priority channels work when your scanner is on that system that you are scanning.

Status
Not open for further replies.