Priority function

Status
Not open for further replies.

acab6

I just programmed the system frequency's for the Toronto Police into my scanner (PRO-94). My scanner selects the first channel in each bank to be the Priority channel, Do I want to use this function or turn it Off?? I can select any channel to be my Priority channel, should I select the Control channel to be the Priority channel?

basprog

The priority function operates differently when you are scanning conventional channels vs. trunking systems.

For conventional scanning, such as your railroad freqs, designating a priority channel will make the scanner check a specifically programmed *channel* every two seconds to help ensure you don't miss an important transmission if you are sitting on a busy channel, or are scanning very large amounts of programmed channels.

When trunking, the priority function will check a programmed *talk-group* every two seconds - which may come in handy if you are listening to some other talk-group that has a long-winded transmission. At this point, the talk-groups transcend the importance of specific channels since trunking doesn't designate a specific channel to a user - it usually changes. Much more trunking info in the wikis and messages here on RR!

So no, when trunking, you don't want to program a control-channel as a priority channel - it isn't intended to work that way when in the trunking mode.

mike_webb59

If I understand correctly, you assign one conventional channel as the Priority Channel during scanning by pressing [func]+[priority] during a scan. You can also assign a weather channel as the priority channel. When a channel is assigned as a priority, the canner checks that channel every few seconds and interrupts if there is any traffic.

Trunks cannot be assigned as priority, but you can "hold a talkgroup."

HTH, Mike

LarrySC

Using PRI for conventional channels: There is a better way. PGM into each bank those freqs you consider to be PRI. Such as EMS, FIRE, maybe three of each. Put them into every bank. Makes no dif what bank is on, you have them in all. I've found this to work best for many reasons. For trunking you can PGM the ID for PRI at the start of your list. Good Luck.

Status
Not open for further replies.