Priority ID Scan BCD396XT

Status
Not open for further replies.

del1964

Premium Subscriber
I did do some searching around thru the forums here and apparently it's definitely true. I have tried everything I could think of and I cannot get priority ID scan to work on the Indiana SAFET system. I tied turning off and on the system settings priority scan function and off and on the two other places where you toggle it on.....TGID as priority.....system set to priority ID scan....really was hoping this new feature advertised was going to work. I LOVE the new 396XT don't get me wrong though. Just would've been a super cool feature. Maybe the next firmware update from UPMan?

del1964

Premium Subscriber
Thanks UpMan....I did read this but is a bit confusing. One thing I accidentally discovered is if I put a TGID on "HOLD" (that I haven't designated as priority) and a TGID that I did designate as priority comes active, it does switch to that priority channel.....which is very cool.

torontokris

Premium Subscriber
Basically it's not a "true" priority in our normal sense.
No firmware update can make it have 2 recievers.
Although I wonder if it could be set to interup the current conversation every few seconds go back to the CC and look for the priority groups (much like conventional prioritys do)

DonS

Basically it's not a "true" priority in our normal sense.
No firmware update can make it have 2 recievers.
Although I wonder if it could be set to interup the current conversation every few seconds go back to the CC and look for the priority groups (much like conventional prioritys do)

In any scanner, it probably could be made to work like conventional priority. However, I'm sure you're aware that instead of periodically missing a few tens of mS of voice, you could end up missing several hundred mS. You'd have to periodically tune to the CC and sit on it long enough to ensure that you "saw all the active talkgroups" then, if no priority talkgroups were active, tune back to the voice channel for the interrupted talkgroup. "Long enough" could vary widely, depending on system type, the system's own settings, and current system activity. And this only takes care of priority TGIDs on one system - you'd have to do the same for every trunked system on which you had programmed priority talkgroups.

UPMan

In Memoriam
Premium Subscriber
Thanks UpMan....I did read this but is a bit confusing. One thing I accidentally discovered is if I put a TGID on "HOLD" (that I haven't designated as priority) and a TGID that I did designate as priority comes active, it does switch to that priority channel.....which is very cool.

Ok, so you are now seeing it work?

On a Motorola system, the scanner can only preemptively jump to a priority channel if the administrator of that system has set the channel as a priority channel on the system side. For example, if your girlfriend is the animal control officer, and you set her channel to priority, it isn't likely you'd ever jump off of an active channel when she transmits (because it isn't likely the Animal Control channel would be set as a priority channel on the system side).

Last edited:

DonS

For example, if your girlfriend is the animal control officer, and you set her channel to priority, it isn't likely you'd ever jump off of an active channel when she transmits (because it isn't likely the Animal Control channel would be set as a priority channel on the system side).

That analogy seems familiar... ;)

UPMan

In Memoriam
Premium Subscriber
Yep, I've used it before...(and I used to date an ACO -- please don't tell her (or her husband...she wasn't married when I dated her) that she inspired the example).

Last edited:

DonS

The scanner can only preemptively jump to a priority channel if the administrator of that system has set the channel as a priority channel on the system side.

Of course, that depends on the system type and the scanner ;) (Admittedly, the system type I'm thinking of probably has limited usefulness.)

torontokris

Premium Subscriber
I agree, and much like the regular priorty its quite annoying to get interrupted ever 2-3 seconds all the time while scanning.. but thats the drawback.

Was just an idea thrown out there.

In any scanner, it probably could be made to work like conventional priority. However, I'm sure you're aware that instead of periodically missing a few tens of mS of voice, you could end up missing several hundred mS. You'd have to periodically tune to the CC and sit on it long enough to ensure that you "saw all the active talkgroups" then, if no priority talkgroups were active, tune back to the voice channel for the interrupted talkgroup. "Long enough" could vary widely, depending on system type, the system's own settings, and current system activity. And this only takes care of priority TGIDs on one system - you'd have to do the same for every trunked system on which you had programmed priority talkgroups.

Status
Not open for further replies.