Priority

Status
Not open for further replies.

sdu219

Premium Subscriber
Can anyone tell me how to mark a "trunk ID" as a priority chan. I am using the GRE psr400 with the Butel software. I use it for MSP Troop D.
Thanks
Scott

kcoleman

Can anyone tell me how to mark a "trunk ID" as a priority chan. I am using the GRE psr400 with the Butel software. I use it for MSP Troop D.
Thanks
Scott

Scott,
I don't think this is going to be possible. According to the manual on Pg. 53 there are these notes on priority...

• The priority feature does not operate while the scanner receives a trunking voice channel....
• This scanner cannot set a channel as the priority channel if the
channel’s receive mode is MOT, ED, or LTR.

Keith,

Last edited:

Deeke

On my Uniden 996T, it is not an option either. Nor on my PSR600. The option is there on both but it doesn't actually work.
The way i understand it (explained to me) is that if it were an option, it would have to search the CC and then search (scan) for priorities and then search (scan) your normal TG's.

This would greatly increase your scanning delay.

On conventional freqs, it scans your priorities and ten your reg freqs. This also increases your delay time depending on how many priorities you've selected. Odds are that you'll not have but a few selected and the increase in time (to us) is not that noticable.

Hope this makes sense, and this is now 3rd party info so i'm sure i forgot to add something and/or misinterpreted it wrong.

Deeke

gmclam

Premium Subscriber
GRE's priority feature

The GRE scanners are not able to do this. In order to have a TG ID be priority, the scanner would need to constantly receive the TRS CC and wait for it.

The priority feature in these GRE scanners is all but useless. What it does is interrupt whatever you are hearing to go and "check" the priority channel every 2 seconds. If you have a CT or DC set on the priority channel, the time away can be very long. If it detects a carrier, it must try and decode a tone. If you have a CT/DC value programmed on the channel you are hearing while this interruption takes place, double the interruption.

And FWIW, if all you are monitoring is a single TRS and nothing else (no conventional frequencies), you still can't set a TG to a priority.

torontokris

Premium Subscriber
The Uniden BCD396XT and BCD996XT are the only digital scanners that can set a TRUNK PRIORITY.

"Priority ID Scan on trunked systems"

Last edited:

RKG

The suggestion that the PSR-500 and -600 won't do priority on a trunked system isn't quite correct, at least with respect to SmartNet II trunked systems. The SmartNet II feature set added a "priority monitor" function that wasn't available with "Privacy Plus" and SmartNet systems. This feature does not require the receiver that has switched to the voice channel assigned to a non-priority talkgroup to skip back to the control channel. Rather, data identifying active talkgroups is sent over a sideband on the voice channels and will cause the radio to jump from a talking non-priority talkgroup to the priority talkgroup if and when a channel grant for a priority talkgroup is made. My PSR-500 does this just as well as my XTS5000.

Priority scan is not available with a SmartNet or Privacy Plus Motorola system because there is no way for the receiving radio -- Motorola or GRE -- to access this information. Whether it has been implemented for Astro 25 (9600 "baud") Motorola systems is something I haven't investigated. Nor have I any idea of how priority works on EDACS or LTR systems.

Edit: This function is described on page 70 of the PSR-500 manual. However, that discussion does not distinguish between SmartNet II systems and other Motorola 3600 baud systems, and it is applicable only to the former.

Last edited:

DonS

The Uniden BCD396XT and BCD996XT are the only digital scanners that can set a TRUNK PRIORITY.

False.

The PSR-500 family does it, as well.

(EDIT: while not a digital scanner, the GRE-made PRO-107 also has the feature)

Last edited:

torontokris

Premium Subscriber
Guess our definition of "PRIORITY" differs

I dont consider what the GRE does as a true TG PRIORITY and just checking those TG when its not busy as the same.

But in that case an argument can be made for the Uniden only does that on some systems as well.

False.

The PSR-500 family does it, as well.

(EDIT: while not a digital scanner, the GRE-made PRO-107 also has the feature)

gmclam

Premium Subscriber

I dont consider what the GRE does as a true TG PRIORITY and just checking those TG when its not busy as the same.

But in that case an argument can be made for the Uniden only does that on some systems as well.
I don't consider what any of the analog scanners these days do to be a priority. A true priority channel requires a 2nd receiver always monitoring. When that channel talks, it is switched to. Such a design does not require the annoying 2+ second interruption we now have.

RS had a crystal controlled scanner back in the 1970s with this true priority function. I don't recall the PRO-# though.

Deeke

I don't consider what any of the analog scanners these days do to be a priority. A true priority channel requires a 2nd receiver always monitoring. When that channel talks, it is switched to. Such a design does not require the annoying 2+ second interruption we now have.

RS had a crystal controlled scanner back in the 1970s with this true priority function. I don't recall the PRO-# though.

Now that i totally agree with.....The radio you speak of was a pro-16. It was one of the last crystal scanner that Radio Shack sold before the programmables came out. I'm probably wrong about that but, i remember the arguments then (at RS no web back then)

My first scanner was a radio shack 4 ch hi/lo mobile with a power supply to use in the house. w/ Motorola plug in ant.
I still have some crystals for RS and Bearcat.......lol

Trunking with crystals......Now that would be a mind blower having to change tg's

Last edited:

RKG

This does not accurately describe how the "Priority Monitor" function works with SmartNet II systems. A channel grant on the priority talkgroup will interrupt a landing on a non-priority talkgroup.

DonS

To my knowledge, both scanners:
1. check for "priority" TGs (as flagged by the user) whenever they're on the control channel. This would include the first check of a CC on each "pass" through a trunked system, and any time the scanner returns to the CC during a "call" on that system.
2. check the low-speed data on analog Mot voice channels, looking for any TGID that the user has flagged as "priority".

Without either a second tuner or periodically interrupting the voice traffic to check the CC (neither of which are done by either brand, as far as I know), there's not much else a scanner can do.

UPMan described how the Unidens handle "priority" for talkgroups in this post. The GRE radios do the same thing.

I do know that the GRE scanners also handle priority TGs on LTR. (Of course, it's limited to any talkgroups homed to the currently-monitored HR).

Last edited:

torontokris

Premium Subscriber
then to me neither is a TRUE priority

To help the Original posters question..
You can mark a TG as a "priority" I believe in the 5th column to the right in Butel's ARC - Im going by memory and Win500 so the 400 maybe different.

rdale

Completely Banned for the Greater Good
Premium Subscriber
then to me neither is a TRUE priority

Huh? If you are listening to one transmission, and a transmission on a priority talkgroup that fits the criteria starts up, you are automatically switched over...

DonS

Huh? If you are listening to one transmission, and a transmission on a priority talkgroup that fits the criteria starts up, you are automatically switched over...

Only under certain conditions:
1. Motorola system, analog voice, system supports and is set up for priority monitoring, your idea of "priority TG" is the same as whoever set up the system, OR
2. Initial check of CC on each "pass" through a system, OR
3. Periodic returns to CC during a "call", OR
4. LTR system, "priority TG" is homed to the HR currently being monitored (GRE only, AFAIK)

#1 only works for certain Motorola system types, and then only for certain system configurations.

#2 and #3 don't get you to the "priority TG" very quickly. The scanner will only "see" that the priority TG is active at those times it returns to the CC - it won't go back and check the CC periodically (like conventional priority), since that would cause very nasty interruptions in the active voice. If you're listening to a 30-second transmission by one user, you'd miss the 10-second transmission on a TG you've flagged as "priority" that occurred during the transmission you're monitoring (unless it happens to be caught by #1 above).

To get "true" trunking priority, you need a second tuner - one that is checking CCs for all systems where you've programmed TGs as "priority". That tuner could (would?) also be checking conventional frequencies you've set as priority.

sdu219

Premium Subscriber
OK Guys I get the drift. No TG Priority. I have purchased a second GRE just to do the MSP Trp-D. Does anyone have any info avail about a Spectra or Syntor for MSP Trp-D. I would like to put it in my cruiser. You can PM me if you can help.
Scott

N8IAA

OK Guys I get the drift. No TG Priority. I have purchased a second GRE just to do the MSP Trp-D. Does anyone have any info avail about a Spectra or Syntor for MSP Trp-D. I would like to put it in my cruiser. You can PM me if you can help.
Scott

I'm guessing that any of the analog Spectras will fit the bill for you Scott.
Larry

gmclam

Premium Subscriber
Priority - or not

The radio you speak of was a pro-16. It was one of the last crystal scanner that Radio Shack sold before the programmables came out.
It was not a PRO-16. The priority function of the PRO-16 uses the technique of interrupting whatever is going on and checking the priority channel every 2 seconds. The scanner I speak of may have been a PRO-9 or PRO-8. As I recall there was a rotary switch on one side to select which of the crystal controlled channels was used for the 2nd receiver (priority channel).

I've seen some programming for Unidens where you can select a channel as a priority or even have a number of priority channels. The term priority here does not mean the same as "I want the scanner to absolutely switch to this channel when it talks". This type of feature to me more or less "ranks" channels as to how often they are checked for signal.

English is such a horrible language as every word has too many meanings. A better word is needed for this feature, and it should be selected by technical people, not sales or marketing people.

RKG

Scott

Be advised:

1) A C or E model Spectra won't do any priority.

2) Neither with a Syntor.

3) A W model Spectra (or later radio, such as MCS2000 or XTL2500 or 5000) does "Priority Monitor" exactly as described above.

That is to say, regardless of whether one views it to be "true priority," the PSR-500 and -600 handle Motorola trunking priority exactly the way Motorola radios handle it.

Status
Not open for further replies.